ADVERTISEMENT

Robinson reviews Baylor OV; Recruiting update (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Robinson’s Baylor OV recap

Arlington Lamar 4-star offensive lineman Isaiah Robinson shared this about his official visit with Baylor from this past weekend: “It's looking really good for Baylor right now. I would say that after this weekend, they shot up to the top of my list.”

Robinson has long been coveted by the Baylor staff.

The No. 45 player in Texas and No. 27 offensive tackle took an OV to Cal the weekend of June 10. He’s also planning an OV to HBCU Howard in Washington D.C. A date has not been set. However, he plans on taking it during the season.

A decision should come after that. Robinson said his plan is to decide once the Vikings’ season has finished, “Unless I figure it out before then, that's the plan.’’

“Right now, I still plan on taking more officials,’’ he said. “But I'll definitely be staying in contact with Baylor a lot more.’’

Notables
>Shreveport (LA) Northwood 4-star 2023 defensive end Ta’Derius Collins is scheduled to take an official visit to Baylor this weekend. The Bears offered him in May. His other P5 offers include Texas, Minnesota, Louisville, Indiana, Mississippi State and Missouri.

Tall but thin but with a frame to work with.

>Mentioned this elsewhere. But for those who didn’t see it, I do not anticipate an announcement from Killeen Ellison defensive end Brendan Bett as a Baylor Bear anytime soon. It doesn’t sound this commitment is in jeopardy. Just a case of planning for what kind of announcement he wants to do it. That could be the edit, hat ceremony or something else. Or he may just wake up one day and decide to announce. Recruiting is weird.

>I put in a Rivals FutureCast for Covington, GA offensive guard Sean Thompkins. He visited the weekend of June 10. Everything looks really strong. This one looks like he may be doing something in the coming days…we believe. Obviously, we’re monitoring his situation.

Legacy relishes Baylor offer
Last year it was DJ Lagway. This year, it’s Mason Dossett. Sons of former Baylor football players and offers always find a way to get together.

When Baylor offered the Fort Bend Ridge Point 2024 athlete, it continued the next phase of the Bears pursuit of the son of former Bear Martin Dossett who played for BU at the turn of the century and had cups of coffee in several professional leagues including the NFL’s Green Bay Packers.

Mason went through Saturday’s camp in Waco. The Bears offer is as an athlete. They like him at both receiver and defensive back. Baylor joined Buffalo, Georgia Tech and Texas Tech.

For Dossett picking up the Baylor offer wasn’t about the feels of when it would happen. Performance at the camp was going to finalize what the coaching staff evaluated.

“Really no pressure at all,’’ Dossett said. “I knew the time would come. Just didn’t know when. Just kept grinding and thanking God for Everything!”

The offer as an athlete makes sense. As Dossett went through camp, he competed on both sides of the ball. He said he felt comfortable on either side and made his share of plays on either side.

As a sophomore for Ridge Point, Dossett had plenty of opportunities in 2021. He rushed for 466 yards and 127 rushing yards with eight scores between the two. Dossett saw time on defense in the secondary and the kick return game.

“I’m comfortable with both,’’ he said. “Just a matter of getting to know everybody better and becoming more comfortable.’’

Cy Fair QB Owens talks Baylor offer
The Texas 2024 QB class has its share of up and comers. Cy Fair’s Trey Owens has slowly but impressively built his resume over the last several months.

On Saturday, Baylor offered the very tall Owens. He’s up to nine offers including Baylor, Texas Tech and Washington State being his P5s.

“The camp experience was great, and I got tons of work with coach [Shawn] Bell,’’ Owens said. “[The offer] means a ton because of all the time and effort I’ve given to training over the last 6-7 years. Lots of validation that I’m doing things right. As far as skill set, I think they saw my quick release, accuracy, and the deep ball placement.

“My arm strength and decision making are my biggest strengths. I need to improve my speed and overall strength.”

Owens threw for 1,789 yards and 18 touchdowns as Cy Fair played several quarterbacks in 2021 before he emerged. There’s no question about his height and being able to look over the middle of the field.

Saturday’s experience was memorable. It was his first visit to the campus. The offer is a start. Now, it’s a matter of where the relationship goes from here.

“Constantly keeping in touch. Talking Xs and Os,’’ he said. “I want to be sure we are a good fit for each other. I’m looking forward to next fall and seeing what the famous is like when school is going on as well as what a game atmosphere is like.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.