ADVERTISEMENT

News & Notes

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher

Snow College defensive tackle Handsome Tanielu continues to maintain a dialogue with the Baylor coaching staff. The December graduate said he and Baylor defensive line coach Chris Achuff have talked about him coming to Waco for an unofficial visit.

A time hasn’t been set but it appears it could be as early as June.

“It’s an opportunity for [Achuff] to see me in a person,’’ Tanielu said. “It’s been a while since has seen me. I’m excited about it.’’

Tanielu is originally from Waianae, HI and went to the aforementioned high school. He has 11 offers, which are a mix of P5 and non-P5 programs. The most notable offers are from Penn St., Louisville, Missouri and Kansas. He also has an offer from BYU.

Time will tell if this visit takes place. But Baylor appears to remain seriously interested. Tanielu would have three years to play wherever he plays.

Katy report
Baylor linebackers coach Jim Gush and safety coach Cris Dishman dropped by Katy on Tuesday and visited with linebacker Paddy Fisher. While these meetings can and cannot carry specific messages, Fisher called it a good meeting.

“It was good seeing them again,’’ Fisher said. “I will have to find out and see what happens [about going to a camp].’’

Meanwhile, Baylor has probably moved on from its interest in teammate Collin Wilder. Wilder recently de-committed from Texas Tech. But with Baylor securing four defensive backs in the 2016 class and pursuing other targets, Wilder seems to be well down on the list.

With Baylor apparently only taking one running back for this class – Port Arthur Memorial’s Kameron Martin – there doesn’t seem to be much focus toward Kyle Porter.

Hot in Cleveland
Houston Westfield wide receiver Tyrie Cleveland continues to keep the talks with Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles consistent.

Cleveland, who de-committed from Texas A&M in mid-April, said he believes Baylor will come by to see him next week. Baylor just offered Cleveland within the last two weeks. Should that visit take place, that might the time when an unofficial visit date is settled.

Etc…
Baylor wide receivers coach Tate Wallis stopped by Wylie East to check on 2016 athlete Aubrey White and 2017 running back Eno Benjamin. But we’ll see how much Baylor really pursues White…also, Matt Clare has a video interview with Galena Park North Shore and Rivals100 safety Eric Monroe being processed. We hope to have that up as soon as possible.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.