ADVERTISEMENT

Final Summer Camp Report (Story Posted)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Garrett Ross
Special to SicEmSports

The final Baylor camp of the summer just happened to also be its largest. Coach Rhule called the turnout of around 500 participants a “record breaking attendance.”

Players from around the country came out on Sunday for an opportunity to learn from one of the best coaching staffs in the country, and the possibility of walking away with an offer.

Julian Humphrey- Ath Clear Creek 2022
Baylor is known for handing out offers to players who excel at their camps.

One of the latest players to leave a Baylor camp with an offer was 2022 athlete Julian Humphrey from Clear Creek high school in Houston.
Humphrey was phenomenal throughout the camp and he dominated every rep that he took.

“I came out today loose and I just wanted to compete and have fun,” said Humphrey. “The staff was very encouraging and they pushed us to give maximum effort on every play.”

One thing that Humphrey enjoyed most about the camp was getting the opportunity to compete at McLane Stadium.

“I loved getting an opportunity to play in McLane Stadium, especially knowing that we were the first group to try out the new turf,” said Humphrey. “You can’t beat that feeling, especially when you’re getting an opportunity to learn from those coaches.”

One thing that Humphrey took away from the camp was tips on how to become a better defensive back.

“I was able to learn some new tips on how to improve my stance and back peddle,” said Humphrey. “I also learned how to keep my weight on the tip of my toes, which I can’t wait to try this season.”

Montaye Dawson- RB Mansfield Timberview 2021
Dawson is a physical runner, who has excellent balance and a low center or gravity.

The relationship between Baylor and Dawson is a work in progress, but it took a step in the right direction after the camp.
“I’m in the process of establishing a good relationship with Baylor and being able to work and engage with the staff in person will definitely help that cause,” said Dawson. “I haven’t spoken with some of the staff in a while so it was nice to engage with them.”

The staff worked with the running backs a lot and showed them different techniques they could use to improve their game.

“The most important thing I learned today was to keep my hips low when I’m coming in and out of cuts,” said Dawson. “They also told us to make sure we finish every run strong and to give maximum effort at all times.”

The environment around campus was something that Dawson really enjoyed and he was impressed by the in-game footage that was displayed on the scoreboard.

“I really enjoyed looking up at the big screen and seeing the actual game footage,” said Dawson. “The fans in the video provided a great sense of excitement and I can only imagine what it’s like to feel that energy on game day.”

Sam Scott- RB/LB Omaha North-Nebraska 2021
Scott spent most of the camp working with the linebackers under the tutelage of coach Mike Siravo and he quickly picked up a great appreciation for his philosophy.

“Coach Siravo put an emphasis on paying attention to details and making sure you love the game of football,” said Scott. “He was familiar with me from watching my tape and he encouraged me to get better with every snap.”
Coming into the camp Scott wasn’t really familiar with Baylor, but after the camp he was ready to establish a connection going forward.

“I was invited to the camp after my performance at the national combine and I was excited to see what Baylor was all about,” said Scott. “I was blown away by the environment and I’m excited about what the future might hold.”

There was definitely no shortage of competition at this camp and Scott thrived during the drills.

"I absolutely loved the level of competition that I was able to compete against today,” said Scott. “The attention to detail that the staff provided during our drills helped bring the best out of everyone.”

Jordyn Turner- WR Bothell High, Seattle Wa. 2020
Turner has great size at 6-5 and the speed to match it. He is also a terrific athlete on the track, where he has earned All-American honors.

“My expectations coming into this camp were to give maximum effort on every play and make an impression on the coaching staff,” said Turner. "The staff told me that I looked really good during my reps and they are excited to watch the tape.”

There has been a building relationship between Turner and Baylor, led by Director of Scouting James Blanchard.

“I feel like I have a great relationship with Baylor and I communicate with Mr. Blanchard on a regular basis,” said Turner. “My impression with Baylor is even better now that I’ve had an opportunity to visit the campus”

The one-on-one opportunities with members of the coaching staff really resonated with Turner.

“I really enjoyed getting to work on my routes with coach Frisman Jackson,” said Turner. “Being able to learn in an individual setting was phenomenal and one of my most enjoyable moments at the camp.”

“I’m strongly considering coming to Baylor, I absolutely love it here.”

Dayron Butler- CB Manor 2020
Speed, that’s one of the best ways to describe Butler.

At 5’10, 160 with the capability to lockdown a receiver and take the ball to the house in the return game, Butler can make a difference.

“I came into this camp with the mindset of not allowing anyone to catch the ball on me and use my speed to my advantage,” said Turner. “The staff really liked my speed and told me to play fast at all times and show no mercy.”

Butler was able to learn some valuable skills from the staff that he hopes to carry over into this upcoming season.

“I learned to be patient and trust in my techniques to help me get a better a better break on the football,” said Butler. “The staff encouraged me to go full throttle on every play and they told me to make sure I finish and stay positive.”

The relationship between Baylor and Butler is good and after today Butler can definitely see himself wearing green and gold.

“My relationship with Baylor has been solid and I only see it getting better,” said Butler. “I can definitely say that the relationship grew after this camp and I would love the opportunity to be a Baylor Bear.”

Isaiah Overton- TE/DE Parish Episcopal 2021
Overton isn’t new to the Baylor camp circuit, in fact he was just there in late June competing.

Given the opportunity to come back and soak up more knowledge from the Baylor coaching staff was something the Overton was looking forward too.

“I first went to a Baylor camp back in June and it went really well, so I was excited to get another chance this time around,” said Overton. “I’ve began to build a relationship with the coaches and I can definitely tell that they want the best for me.”

As a defensive linemen, it’s important to get off the snap quick and shed the block to make a play. Overton was able to pick up some new techniques to help him succeed in these situations.

“The coaches put an emphasis on countering under the offensive linemen immediately if your initial move doesn’t work,” said Overton. “We worked a lot of drills regarding countering and now I’m able to understand how to attack stronger opponents.”

The staff had nothing but positive feedback for Overton and he left the campus feeling like a better player.

“They staff told me to continue to strive for greatness and hold nothing back,” said Overton. “They preached that in order to compete at a high level you must maintain a high motor and strong work ethic.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.