ADVERTISEMENT

DII transfer Royer talks Baylor, art of long snapping (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The art of being the most invisible player on a football is actually a pretty easy trick to pull off.

When you become exposed, it’s for the wrong reasons. Indeed, such is the life of a long snapper. However, Baylor believes it has a good one Division II transfer Gunnar Royer. The Indiana (PA) University grad transfer announced Monday he was going to Baylor for his senior year. While he does have a redshirt available, Royer doesn’t expect to use it.

“[Special Teams Analyst Aman] Anand and [Special Teams] coach [Matthew] Powledge were the first ones to contact me,’’ Royer said. “And then I just knew I wanted to play a high level of football for a great team and Baylor was a clear choice.’’

A native of Manheim, PA, Royer said he chose Baylor over Arkansas, Houston, Mississippi State and Kent State. While he did play defensive end for his first two years at IU PA, he knows his role in Waco.

“But I knew my calling was snapping,’’ Royer said. “I still believe with my size and speed I could help out the team in many other ways. I was a 5-A all state defensive end in high school. but like I said my calling is snapping. We talked a little about helping in special teams.’’

Royer was scheduled to visit Baylor the weekend of March 21. However, when the COVID-19 virus hit the United States and the NCAA extended the dead period to what is now May 31, he had to view Baylor through a different prism.

He connected with David Wetzel to get a virtual tour of the university and its athletic facilities.

“There is definitely a big step from Division II to Division I,’’ Royer said. “Honestly just everything. I enjoy being in a weight room and seeing that one and the nutrition station [the BANC] I was excited. I enjoy food and protein shakes.’’

Royer is replacing one of the best long snappers in Baylor history in Ross Matiscik. Consistency is the key to mastering this position. There’s no such thing as perfection. But this is the position where the percentage of execution has to be as close as it can get.

“Absolutely nobody knows your name until you mess up,’’ Royer said. “The closer you are to that 100% like 98%, 99%. those snappers are the best. It's way more than even the grip or the torque on the snap. It’s balance of hands, balance of hips, same amount of rotations, your breathing, same amount of force. Most people really don’t understand what goes into a snap and how difficult it is because you only see a snapper come on the field like 10 times a game.’’

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News