ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: West Orange-Stark DE Carmello Jones commits to Baylor; No. 2 for 2022 (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor’s history recruiting the 409 area code, especially West Orange-Stark, has never been better.

And it’s clear, the Bears want to get in on the defensive side of the ball. With WOS’ Tyrone Brown arriving at Baylor on Sunday, his teammate defensive end Carmello Jones will be following him in 2022.

Days after receiving his first offer from Baylor, Jones announced on social media on Tuesday that he was committing to the Bears.

“I think that Baylor is a nice fit for me,’’ Jones said. “I just love the energy of the coaching staff and I think that they have my best interest at heart.’’

Jones is No. 2 for the 2022 class and the first since last May of 2022 when Festus, MO athlete Kaian Roberts-Day committed. Jones has room to grow at 6-3, 210. But Baylor’s history is to take thin defensive ends and then build their frame into a Power 5 defensive lineman look.

And Roberts-Day is the kind of defensive end that will fit the 3-man look Baylor head coach Dave Aranda operates. West Orange-Stark bases from a 3-man front.

“Our coaches have me off the edge or shooting gaps,’’ Jones said. “They also have me closing down blocks.’’

Of course, with James Blanchard returning to Baylor to take over recruiting, he re-established Baylor’s connection with WOS. That all started in the early 2010s when his brother Travon signed.

During the Mustangs’ 8-1 season that faced disruptions between hurricanes and COVID-19, Jones still put together a pretty impressive season with 75 tackles and 7.5 sacks.

“I know for a fact I had more,’’ Jones said with a laugh.

“When I started talking to the coaches, they said they love my first step, quickness and how physical I was,’’ Jones said. “And because they have come to my school before, that’s one of the other reasons [that he committed].’’

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.