ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Coaches Corner (Oct. 29, 2015)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher

Each Week, the Big 12 coaches meet with the media regarding issues involving their teams and what is to come. The comments came during their respective weekly pressers or on the Big 12 coaches call. Baylor coach Art Briles comments were posted earlier this week.

Charlie Strong, Texas – The Longhorns (3-4, 2-2) play at Iowa State Saturday: With the firing of Al Golden at Miami (Fl), Strong’s name has circulated as a possible to candidate to take over in Coral Gables. Strong is making more than $5 million in Austin. He would take a steep pay cut if he were to move to Miami. He has success recruiting there when he was the defensive coordinator at Florida and then head coach at Louisville. "Each and every week, I'm the topic of conversation on [ESPN]," Strong said at his weekly presser. "There hasn't been one week that I wasn't. Either they're ripping me or saying I've lost my team or saying something else."…Texas is 9-1 under Strong when it scores first.

David Beaty, Kansas – The Jayhawks (0-7, 0-4) play host to Oklahoma Saturday: The Jayhawks were on the other side of OU running back Samaje Perine’s FBS-record 427 rushing yards last year in Norman, OK. Beaty wasn’t there for that. But he understands what is in front of his winless team. “This is a new team for them. It’s a new team for us,” Beaty said on the Big 12 conference call. “Now, it’s the same player. He’s absolutely the same guy. But we go to school on the information from what we had in that game last year. Obviously, there’s a lot of things we can correct to minimize that.”...after last week’s loss at Oklahoma State, the Jayhawks have dropped 29 consecutive Big 12 road games.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma – The No. 13/14 Sooners (6-1, 3-1) play at Kansas Saturday: Stoops had some advice to KU’s Beaty before the two meet up Saturday in Lawrence. “Stick to your principles and beliefs and what you feel needs to happen to win,” Stoops told the Tulsa World. “Sometimes they can be pretty basic. I know when we first got here, we preached just a few things constantly and built on it. To continue to stay positive.”…The running game’s 405-yard performance last week against Texas Tech was important for this team as it tries to be more balanced.

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State – The No. 10/12 Cowboys (7-0, 4-0) play at Texas Tech Saturday: In light of the homecoming tragedy last week where four people were killed by a driver who ran into the crowd (she has since been charged), Gundy told reporters at his weekly presser that he turned to former OSU basketball coach Eddie Sutton on how to deal with tragic events. “Coach Sutton told me one thing you can't forget in coaching is to grab your kids and tell them you love them every day,” Gundy said. “Those situations make us forget about all the things that are irrelevant and how precious life is and it can be gone just like that.” Gundy led the team in prayer before the game. Several of his players have visited victims in area hospitals.

Bill Snyder, Kansas State – The Wildcats (3-4, 0-4) have a bye: KSU has its longest losing streak under Snyder since 2005, the year he announced his first retirement. Snyder maintains that his team can turn things around. But the Wildcats next play No. 2 Baylor on Nov. 5. “You have to go with the things you believe in and things that got you there,” Snyder said on the Big 12 teleconference. “It’s consistency on my part and our part and a level of confidence, which means understanding why it should be different, could be different, how it would be different and what we can do about it. It’s an honest approach to staff and young players in our program. There are a number of things that need to be better than they are that we’re capable of that we have at one time or another proven that we can do but haven’t.’’…the last time Kansas State started 0-4 in Big 12 play was 2001.

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia – The Mountaineers (3-3, 0-3) play at TCU Thursday: By the time you read this, the Mountaineers will be in Fort Worth to play the Horned Frogs. This will be the fourth consecutive ranked team the Mountaineers have faced. “[TCU WR] Josh Doctson is playing as good as good as anybody. He is [Trevone Boykin’s] favorite target. He has 12 touchdowns already, so it is going to be a chore to hold him down and contain. The problem with them, much like it was a week ago, if you start focusing on one, they have a lot of other guys that can hurt you. (Senior wide receiver Kolby) Listenbee is playing well. The (senior tailback Aaron) Green kid is playing well. The new kid (freshman wide receiver KaVontae) Turpin is extremely fast and incredibly shifty, so they put him anywhere from slot to running back. They have a lot of weapons and everything goes with that quarterback. He is a heck of player, and he is fun to watch. It is going to be challenging for us to contain.’’

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech – The Red Raiders (5-3, 2-3) play host to Oklahoma State Saturday: Texas Tech will honor the victims of the Oklahoma State tragedy with a moment of silence before kickoff. The Challenge for the Red Raiders will be facing Oklahoma State’s impressive defensive front. "They'll be challenged. I mean they've watched the film; they know what's coming,’’ Kingsbury said at his weekly presser. “So they'll have to play their 'A-game' to try and slow those guys down. They have a great front; they have a really good defense, overall. But those two ends (junior, Emmanuel Ogbah; senior, Jimmy Bean) are very good players."…in the three Big 12 losses, the Red Raiders have allowed an average of 60.2 points and 682.3 yards per game.

Paul Rhoads, Iowa State – The Cyclones (2-5, 1-3) play host to Texas Saturday: The Des Moines Register reported that the fallout from Rhoads firing offensive coordinator Mark Mangino (was there for only 19 games) was a difference on what to emphasize more. Rhoads wanted to run the ball more with redshirt freshman Mike Warren and use the passing game when necessary. Rhoads wouldn’t go into detail other than to say at his weekly presser: “The things that we haven’t gotten on the same page with — it’s been ongoing for several weeks,” Rhoads said. “We’ve been trying to work that out. In the end, we could not come to a conclusion together — and he decided not to accept the direction that we wanted to go.” It’s clear Rhoads position to remain the head coach at ISU is tenuous…freshman Joel Lanning, who finished last week’s game at quarterback at Baylor will remain the starting signal caller.

Gary Patterson, TCU – The No. 3/5 Horned Frogs (7-0, 4-0) play host to West Virginia Thursday: This has been a different experience for Patterson, who has been noted for putting together strong defensive units in history. However, TCU’s defense – riddled with injuries – has seen that unit surrender, 37, 52 and 45 points in games this year. “The worst job in college football right now is defensive coordinator,” Patterson said his weekly press conference. “So I’m trying to figure out why I’m still doing it, why I shouldn’t be just helping with the game plan and blaming somebody else.I guess I’m just a glutton for punishment.”…Patterson’s reaction to the season ending injury to Baylor QB Seth Russell: “You don't want to ever see things like that happen. The kid was playing great, and Baylor was playing great. ... You can have rivalries, but it still comes down to people. You don't wish that on anybody."

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News