ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Coaches Corner (Oct. 19, 2015)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher
Each week, the Big 12 coaches hold their weekly meetings with the media via the Big 12 Conference Call or through their pressers. The following is a compilation of what transpired. Baylor head coach Art Briles and Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads had their comments posted earlier.

Charlie Strong, Texas: The Longhorns (2-4, 1-2) plays host to Kansas State on Saturday – The Longhorns are coming off their bye week with what they hope is newfound energy. They are facing a Kansas State teams that has lost three straight. "What I talk about is game by game, and so we just have to get ready to come and play and be prepared and just be ready to be focused,’’ Strong said. “I said that what has happened, you play so well against Oklahoma, now we can't take a step back. But it's all about game by game. We've got six left, but let's just take them one at a time. It's Kansas State now, and a key thing for us is that we can control our own destiny, and we have to be ready to go and play."…by the way, Silver Spurs handlers told the Austin Amercian-Statesman that it’s unlikely that a Bevo XV will be picked before the end of the season. Bevo XIV passed away in his sleep from Bovine Leukemia on Oct. 16.

David Beaty, Kansas: The Jayhawks (0-6, 0-3) are at Oklahoma State on Saturday – Freshman QB Ryan Willis earned Athlon Sports Freshman of the week for throwing 350 yards in the 30-20 loss to Texas Tech last week. Willis earned his first start on Oct. 10 against Baylor. Is that good enough to become the starter? “The way (Ryan) continues to handle himself on the sideline with our players and with the offensive side of the ball has been really impressive,” Beaty said during the Big 12 teleconference. “Now, whether or not he can continue to sustain that, that’s yet to be seen."

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: The No. 15/17 Sooners (5-1, 2-1) play host to Texas Tech Saturday – The Sooners had an 8½ hour delay before they could leave Manhattan, KS. following their 55-0 win over Kansas State…but the story of the week is former Texas Tech QB Baker Mayfield playing his former school for the first time. Last year, Mayfield had to sit out because of transfer rules. "We'll confer with him here through the week just like we did last year on what they may like,’’ Stoops said, “not like or anything else he could provide. So we'll see how much it helps."…One-time Baylor commit Zack Sanchez earned Big 12 defensive player of the week honors. Sanchez had a pick-6 in the win over KSU. It’s his third such accomplishment, which ties an OU record.

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State: The No. 12/14 Cowboys (6-0, 3-0) play host to Kansas Saturday – Gundy met with reporters on Sunday. He talked about fixing the scheme with his running game. But like Baylor wide receiver Corey Coleman, talk has already surfaced about DE Emmanuel Ogbah and the potential for him to enter the NFL draft. “We'd love to have him here for the next six years, but if he has an opportunity that he feels like, and his family feels like, could change him and his kids for the rest of his life, then he has to make the decision that he thinks is best for him,’’ told the Oklahoma State beat writers. “We've had players here that have come back, let's just say I'll throw out middle-first round … and we've had guys leave. We've had guys that left that didn't get drafted and we had guys that were fourth-round picks that left. It's really hard to tell what sets one off, but if (Ogbah) stays healthy and things like that, he's going to play a long time.”

Bill Snyder, Kansas State: The Wildcats (3-3, 0-3) play at Texas Saturday – Snyder does like to pen letters. But this one went to the Kansas State student body following the 55-0 loss to Oklahoma. The Wildcats had 110 yards of total offense. The Wichita Eagle relayed the letter that was released through the athletic department. “First, let me thank you for caring so very much about our football family of which you are a tremendous part. And, please accept my apology for the manner in which we represented you on Saturday. I know you are pained by the outcome, as I am. I hope that you will appreciate our players for never giving up even in the face of such adversity and the loss of so many of their teammates. I am proud of them and must do a better job of preparing them than I did Saturday. Please know you are greatly appreciated and considered a major part of this football family.”

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia: The Mountaineers (3-3, 0-3) have a bye Saturday – Despite the 62-38 loss to Baylor, the Mountaineers kept their streak of accumulating 350 yards of total offense alive. That now stands at 27….Shelton Gibson had quite the finish on Saturday. He had a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and caught a 70-yard touchdown pass from Skyler Howard. Of course, you’re familiar with Holgorsen’s postgame quote about Baylor wide receiver Corey Coleman, calling him the best player in college football.

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: The Red Raiders (5-2, 2-2) play at Oklahoma Saturday – Texas Tech offensive lineman Le’Raven Clark gave Texas Tech an 11-0 lead over Kansas in the second quarter with a successful two-point attempt; he took a lateral snap and scored from a “swinging gate” formation. However, Clark went down with a leg injury in the second quarter and did not return. Kingsbury said Monday his talented offensive tackle was day-to-day. But it did impact the offensive line. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes was sacked five times…one-time Tech assistant Lincoln Riley is now Oklahoma’s offensive coordinator…as for Kingsbury meeting with former quarterback Baker Mayfield, Kingsbury was asked if more was made of it than there should have been. For me, yes. That happened two years ago really, 21 months, something like that. It's two good football teams. I don't want to take away from that based on that story line. So I'm excited to watch those two teams go at it.”

Gary Patterson, TCU: The No. 3/4 Horned Frogs (7-0, 4-0) have a bye Saturday: Quarterback Trevone Boykin is second in the nation in total offense at 425.6 yards per game. “The first game, against Minnesota, was the only game I thought he tried to rush it, tried to do too much,” Patterson said on the Big 12 teleconference call. “I think that’s one of the things he’s tried not to do the last six ballgames. He’s just let the game come to him, went with the flow, run when he’s needed to run. And when he’s had people open, he’s waited long enough and gotten the ball to them. If he keeps doing that, I think he’ll keep being successful.”…if you’re not familiar with it, there was popular tweeted picture of Boykin visiting with a young girl, who was confined to a wheel chair. The girl was brought to midfield for the ceremonial coin toss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News