ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Coaches Corner (Oct. 13, 2015)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher

Each week, the Big 12 coaches meet with the media to discuss the week that was and the week that is to come through either their weekly pressers or the Big 12 coaches conference call. Information is compiled through the call or designated news outlets. Baylor head coach Art Briles and West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen had their comments reported earlier.

Charlie Strong, Texas – The Longhorns (2-4, 1-2) have a bye Saturday: As Nick Castillo of The Dallas Morning News reported, Strong used a motivational poem before Saturday’s stunning 24-17 upset of then-No. 10 Oklahoma on Saturday. The poem was entitled, “Don’t Quit.’’

"When things go wrong as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill
When the funds are low
And the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest if you must, but don't you quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't' give up though the pace seems slow -
You may succeed with another blow,
Success is failure turned inside out -
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems so far;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit -
It's when things seem worst that you must not quit."

David Beaty, Kansas – The Jayhawks (0-5, 0-2) play host to Texas Tech Saturday: Freshman quarterback Ryan Willis earned his second consecutive start Saturday against the Red Raiders. But he drew praise from Baylor coach Art Briles. “I was really impressed with him,” said Briles when asked by the Lawrence World-Journal’s Tom Keegen. “I thought he was really good. He made some really, really nice throws and kept his composure. If I was a Kansas Jayhawk, I’d be a little bit excited. I think the guy’s really good, looked real good today.”…even Beaty came away encouraged in the face of a 66-7 loss. Beaty said he liked how he continued to keep playing and was not discouraged.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma – The No. 19/19 Sooners (4-1, 1-1) are at Kansas State Saturday: It’s hard to know who is really taking ownership of the upset loss to the Longhorns. Stoops told the media at his presser on Monday that he will take responsibility for what happened but that he and his staff showed the team film from a Texas game for 10 minutes from Texas beating them. Well, it didn’t work….Stoops also acknowledged that he knows that the Sooner running game needs to be more efficient and that Semaje Perine must be a big part of that…the media perception is that the Longhorns seem to have the mental edge over the Sooners. Consider Texas has won two of the last three. The Sooners needed a kick return and defensive touchdown to win the 2014 meeting….on Saturday, Stoops is reunited with his one-time mentor Bill Snyder.

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State – The No. 15/16 Cowboys (6-0, 3-0) have a bye: Oklahoma State needed only six games to become bowl eligible this year. Remember in 2014, they needed an overtime upset over Oklahoma in the regular season finale to become eligible. It’s the fourth time in Gundy’s tenure at OSU that the Cowboys have started 6-0. The overtime win at West Virginia gave Gundy his 90th in Stillwater, OK….part of that change is the first quarter. In 2014, the Cowboys scored only 79 points in the opening period. They already have scored 58.

Bill Snyder, Kansas State – The Wildcats (3-2, 0-2) play host to Oklahoma Saturday: There has been some unrest by the Kansas State fan base over Snyder’s decision to kick the field goal that tied the game against TCU. Of course, you know the rest. To his credit, Snyder admitted he made a mistake. Snyder called a timeout before the field goal and said he strongly considered going for the first down. “At the end of the day it was just a bad choice on my part,” Snyder said Monday on the Big 12 teleconference. “Hindsight tells me if I had to do it again, I’d do it differently. I’m totally responsible for that.”…after winning 49 consecutive games when leading at halftime, the Wildcats have dropped two straight to Oklahoma State and TCU.

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech – The Red Raiders (4-2, 1-2) play at Kansas Saturday: The schedule maker didn’t do the Red Raiders any favors. They play for 11 straight weeks. They then get the Saturday before Thanksgiving night at Texas. “Yeah, I'm not sure the reason,'' said Kingsbury at his Monday presser with the media. "Like I said on the teleconference, I've been part of one where we got hot and worked out, and there are also times you're kind of banged up and you like that off week. I guess for us the interesting part is like I said, that Thursday game we'll still have practice on that weekend, so it's not a free weekend for three straight months. So just kind of how it fell this year. Everybody takes their turn with that Thanksgiving game, and it just worked out that way.’’…Tech wide receivers are banged up. Kingsbury said that Devin Lauderdale will be back for Kansas but that Dylan Cantrell will not.

Paul Rhoads, Iowa State – The Cyclones (2-4, 1-1) play host to TCU Saturday: The visit to Lubbock was a nightmare as Texas Tech scored 66 points and had 776 yards of total offense. And Rhoads didn’t sugarcoat the speed factor. “We got a little intimidated early in that game Saturday with the speed of it all,” Rhoads told The Des Moines Register. “Not as much as the tempo of them going from one play to the next. I thought we handled that well. I’m talking about the actual plays and then early success of theirs created a little fear in our guys and we started playing to that instead of playing assignment football… We’ve got to play faster and we got a heavy dose of speed in space on Saturday.’’ Following Saturday’s game against TCU is a trip to Baylor.

Gary Patterson, TCU – The Horned Frogs (6-0, 3-0) play at Iowa State Saturday: Things have been up and down in the first half. In two of the last three weeks, the Horned Frogs defense has allowed 28 and 35 points. “What we’ve got to do is start ballgames like that,” he said Monday during the Big 12 coaches conference call with reporters. “If we can start games like we started against Texas, then you’re going to have a chance to slow some people down. If not, it’s going to be the same kind of things at the end of ballgames we’ve already dealt with for the last month.”…one-time Baylor commit Montrel Wilson has been thrown into the fire at linebacker. He committed a costly pass interference that led to a touchdown in the first half at Kansas State. But he also forced the fumble on the sack of KSU quarterback Joe Hubener to seal the 52-45 win.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News