ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Coaches Corner (Nov. 23, 2015)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher

Each week, the Big 12 coaches meet with the media to discuss the week that was and the week that is to come through either the Big 12 coaches call or their weekly pressers. Baylor coach Art Briles and TCU coach Gary Patterson already had their comments posted on Monday. Rankings are from the previous CFP.

Note: There will be one more on Monday Nov. 30. But it is expected to be scaled down version since Baylor, Texas, Kansas State and West Virginia are the only teams playing.

Charlie Strong, Texas: The Longhorns (4-6, 3-4) play host to Texas Tech Thursday – Per the AP, He tried to shut that down once and for all Monday, saying he's promised his players he's staying, adding: "I don't run from anything."
Despite a 10-13 record at Texas, Strong's name first surfaced weeks ago as a potential candidate for Miami after the school fired Al Golden. Previous denials didn't seem to stop the speculation. Texas interim athletic director Mike Perrin said last week Strong isn't leaving, and the coach used his weekly news conference to again dismiss rumors and give assurances he isn't chasing another job.
"I told our players I'm not going anywhere," Strong said. "I made a commitment here. We're going to see this program through. We're going to get it back on track."

David Beaty, Kansas: The Jayhawks (0-11, 0-8) play host to Kansas St. Saturday – Sophomore linebacker Joe Dineen’s 16 tackles were a career-best and the most in a single game since Ben Heeney wrapped up 21 tackles against Texas Tech in 2014….Kansas has recorded two interceptions three times in 2015 after picking off two passes against West Virginia.

Bob Stoops, Oklahoma: The No. 7 Sooners (10-1, 7-1) play at Oklahoma St. Saturday – QB Baker Mayfield passed all concussion tests and was expected to practice and play Saturday in Stillwater. But the more steps that have to be taken in order to ensure Mayfield will play. Mayfield said he will not play scared. He left Saturday’s game against TCU in the first half. Said Stoops: "We'll talk to Baker about avoiding as many hits as he can, but he's fairly stubborn. Hopefully, he'll go down when he can, get out of bounds when he can and avoid some of that."

Mike Gundy, Oklahoma St.: No. 6 Cowboys (10-1, 7-1) play host to Oklahoma Sunday – ESPN’s College GameDay is coming to Stillwater for the Bedlam series. Gundy said a 1-loss Big 12 team deserves a look to be considered for the college football playoff by the committee. “Somebody else is going to make that decision. People ask me, and I don’t know that it even matters what I say, just from a standpoint of the people in that room on that committee know how I feel about my team,” Gundy said Monday. “I think coaches who are politicking for leverage are just wasting time.”…fifth-year senior QB J.W. Walsh, who is eligible for a sixth year because of medical hardship, said he will petition for one.

Bill Snyder, Kansas St.: The Wildcats (4-6, 1-6) play at Kansas Saturday – The 21-point deficit overcome by the Wildcats ties for the second-biggest comeback in school history. The last time a Wildcat team overcame a 21-point deficit was at Missouri on Nov. 6, 2004….Junior fullback Glenn Gronkowski threw a four-yard touchdown pass to Winston Dimel in the first quarter. It was the Wildcats’ first TD pass by a non-quarterback since Daniel Thomas threw a 67-yard pass to Aubrey Quarles at Baylor in 2010…Morgan Burnsreturned four kickoffs for 168 yards and one touchdown. It was his third return touchdown this year to rank second in school history, while he now has four in his career to tie for second….K-State’s 99non-offensive touchdowns since 1999 lead the nation.

Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia: The Mountaineers (6-4, 3-4) play host to Iowa State Saturday – Holgorsen reacted to the news of Iowa State coach Paul Rhoads. “I don't understand why it has to happen at this point,” Holgorsen said. “This year, it seems like it could be pretty tough for a lot of coaches. But (the firing) can't affect what we're doing. The one thing that I have always admired Paul Rhoads for was getting his team ready to play and never quit. ... I will anticipate this game to be no different.”…school is out for the week so the program is free from distractions…the Mountaineers are now bowl eligible following their 49-0 victory at Kansas this past Saturday.

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech: The Red Raiders (6-5, 3-5) play at Texas Thursday – While the Red Raiders are bowl eligible, the Longhorns are not. Texas needs to win its final two to attain it. "They're one of those teams that's talented enough to beat anybody in the country on any given day,’’ Kingsbury said. “You see that with some of the games they've had. I think they've struggled with consistency similar to what we have with some of their younger players, but all very talented and you know you're going to get their best shot - Senior Day, a big game for them trying to stay bowl-eligible. And so, we know it'll be a tough task."

Paul Rhoads, Iowa State: The Cyclones (3-8, 2-6) play at West Virginia – Rhoads did his segment on the Big 12 coaches call in preparation for his last game as ISU’s head coach. Rhoads was fired on Sunday. “I was not surprised,” Rhoads said of the firing's timing on Monday's Big 12 conference call. “It's a bottom-line business. Everybody in this profession well knows that, and we accept it very openly when we get into it. I don't think we have a challenge,” said Rhoads, Pitt's defensive coordinator from 2000-07. “They'll come to work distraction-free and ready to prepare and win. ... This has always been about the kids, and always will be.”… ISU has rushed for at least 200 yards in seven of its last nine games…the ISU defense has recorded 29 sacks this season, its most since 2002 (31).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News