ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 coaches call: Baylor's Art Briles & Texas' Charlie Strong

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Here were the two coaches comments from the FINAL Big 12 coaches call for the 2015 season.

Art Briles, Baylor
On if it’s harder to keep QBs healthier in today’s climate:
“If you see around the nation and this league, there are few teams that have ridden the same guy throughout the year. The last couple of years for us, we’ve had that. If you’re fortunate to have that, then you can have a pretty good run. That’s the reality of the game. You have big guys flying around at a high rate of speed.

“With that position, you have to have consistency and health. If you have health, you’ve got a chance to make a run at a championship and win one.’’

On when was the last time he was down to his third string QB: “I think it was [2009]. Robert [Griffin III] got hurt and then [Blake] Symanski game and got hurt. That’s when we had to pull the redshirt for Nick Florence.’’

On if he has to recruit more QBs because of injuries: “I think so. That’s something we’ve certainly talked about. You’d like to think three is a comfortable to make it. Once we get to January and Zack [Smith] is on campus, we’ll have four. But it’s not January.’’

On Texas: “It’s a good football team. They played really well through the season at times. Like everybody else, they’ve had their ups and down like we had. There’s a fine between how the game ends and if you like it or dislike it. They’ve got good people and good schemes. We’re expecting a battle like we do with any big 12 team.’’

On if a team with a losing record should go to a bowl: “I’m all in. I can remember in 2008 and 2009 in the Big 12 spring meetings and talking about letting a 5-7 team in the bowls. I was one of the guys who voted. I’m all for it. Let the players enjoy the experience it. It might propel you to an 8-4 the next year….in 2010 we had three more weeks of practices. For any season that’s an accomplishment. You can feel the energy and everything that comes with being bowl eligible and playing.’’

On Baylor’s bowl future [A win sends Baylor to the Sugar Bowl]: “Our bowl future is Saturday at 11 am. All that stuff will take care of itself after our game.’’

Charlie Strong, Texas
On building this program:
“I’m still missing a few part. I feel like I’m one recruiting class away. Once we have that, then we’re headed in the right direction.’’

On finding the right QB: “That’s the one position that everyone has to have in order to have a – successful team. It’s the position that you need. If you play well, you always have a chance.’’

On going to a bowl at 5-7: “I haven’t thought about that. My only thoughts are Baylor our preparation. We need to play well against Baylor before we get into that conversation. [As for extra practices that come with a bowl], You look at our season and we have played a lot of young players. I think only 3 or 4 have redshirted.’’

On Texas QB Jerrod Heard (concussion): “He’s day to day. We still need a thorough evaluation. We have to watch his progress.’’

On Oklahoma: “When you look at OU and what they have in place, they have a really good quarterback and two really good running backs. They played to the strengths of their football team. They played very well down the stretch.’’

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.