ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor's Art Briles, Iowa State's Paul Rhoads Big 12 coaches call segments

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Before Art Briles came on, Texas Tech's Kliff Kingsbury (who always precedes Briles) was asked a question.

Kliff Kingsbury, Texas Tech
On Corey Coleman:
“He’s unbelievable. He’s very strong. You watch him and the way he uses his hands to get defensive backs off him. Then he has the ability to stop and start. He handles the deep ball very well. He’s a complete player. I’m more surprised with his size and how physical he plays. He’s very well put together.’’

Art Briles, Baylor
On DT Andrew Billings (sprained ankle):
“He’s in a boot. He’s day to day. Ankle sprains are really tough on larger guys. We’d love to have him this week because he is so dominant. If not, we’re just going to have to run someone else out there.’’

On speeding up the college game (keep the clock running after first downs): “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the college game. Leave it alone. It’s a great game, great rivalries. Not sure you should be looking for something to be wrong.’’

On when he was asked about the elapsed time of 3:46 vs. West Virginia: “Well spent money.’’

On RB Shock Linwood’s plan: “It’s week to week according to their defense. He’s a really smart and tough player.’’

On West Virginia’s plan to stop Linwood: “We knew we were going to have a hard time running the football. [WVA defensive coordinator Tony Gibson] does a great job. We have a lot of respect for what they do defensively. We knew it was going to be a grind running the ball. Seth created some opportunities for us. Our guys were pretty good up front Saturday.''

Paul Rhoads, Iowa State
On how difficult it is to stop Baylor’s offense:
“Dang near impossible….they’re just fantastic with tremendous personnel. They have an excellent scheme. If you put numbers here, they go there.’’

On Baylor WR Corey Coleman: “He’s having a tremendous year. I walk into the defensive staff room. I’ve said if we do this, it’s a touchdown. He’s certainly at the top of the list…his ability to play physical, his ability to play fast, his ability to make plays in space. It helps to have QB with the accuracy to put it there so he will have the great opportunity to make the plays that he does.’’ (Note: I combined two quotes from separate questions)

On the rising comparison between Coleman and TCU’s Josh Doctson: “They’re both as good as it gets. I wouldn’t rank one over the other. Both of them are All-American receivers.’’

On if 40 is enough to beat Baylor or TCU: “You’re going to have to get more than 40. To beat those folks, you’re going to have to be in the 50s.’’

On ISU senior QB Sam B. Richardson: “He’s played like a redshirt freshman. He’s shown great leadership and made good decisions and given us opportunities to win. He threw a lot of good balls down the field [against TCU]. His numbers were pretty good for us (22-26-0 251).''

On ISU RB Mike Warren: “He’s had four good games for us. He’s playing with good vision. We’re really excited to get him back to work this week. He still needs some reps. He missed those last week heading into TCU.’’ Warren has rushed for 658 yards this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News