ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor recruiting update; New Rivals FutureCasts

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Note:
Your publisher will have more feedback from the first Baylor camp during the week. We’ll share interviews with notable underclassmen to get their impressions on the camp and where things stand with Baylor. This and possibly the next two Sundays will take the place of What was he Thinking?

On the Thomas commitment
Baylor moved into the express aisle when it came to its recruitment of Fort Bend Marshall 2023 defensive Trent Thomas.

In less than a month – 22 days to be exact – Thomas went from picking up a Baylor offer, to scheduling an official visit to taking that visit to becoming the 12th member of the class.

Thomas committed to the Bears on Sunday following his visit.

There’s a lot of intrigue with this rising prospect. He stands 6-5 with a frame of 245 pounds that can go anywhere. There is no replacing length.

“At Baylor everyone kept saying this was a family not a team a family,’’ Thomas said. That stood out to me. They’re not just about making you a better football player. Tt’s about making you a better man. So that’s why I chose Baylor.’’

Thomas is the first addition to Baylor’s defensive line needs. This class needs about four. Baylor won this battle because it moved quickly and demonstrated to Thomas how its defensive line became a force in 2021 and has the capability of continuing that moving forward. Expectations are high in 2022.

“I like Baylor consistency with having a great defense,’’ Thomas said prior to taking his official visit. “My relationship with [defensive line coach Dennis Johnson] is going great. I feel like a great relationship is forming.”

Rivals Future Cast Picks
Made two new picks for players Baylor is heavily pursuing. Both were on official visits this past weekend.

>I made one for Fort Bend Ridge Point defensive tackle DK Kalu. As I mentioned Saturday, I think Baylor is in a pretty good spot with Kalu. He’s been to Baylor several times. He will take other scheduled official visits to SMU (June 17-19) and Kansas State (June 24-26). A decision should be made after those trips.

Baylor’s position is strengthened because for starters, SMU is a G5 school that’s getting better but not at a championship level. Then Kansas State is a good program. However, Baylor has owned this series with the Wildcats and is closer to home.

One thing that could be in Baylor’s favor is that Kalu’s right knee injury in 2021. A teammate inadvertently hit him in that knee during the second game of the season. Kalu tore his MCL and meniscus. That could have other programs to move on. Baylor didn’t.

>I also like Baylor’s chances with League City Clear Falls 4-star outside linebacker Corey Kelly. A relationship has been growing steadily over the last several months. It reached another level when Baylor came to see him during the May evaluation period.

Kelly was one of the first ones to schedule his official visit to Baylor back in May. There are no other OVs scheduled for him at this time. A 6-4, 210 prospect who can flash out in pass coverage. We’ll see how this turns out.

Baylor Camp: June 10

Benson leaves it on the field

This was the second visit for Midlothian 2023 running back Deago Benson on Saturday at Baylor’s camp.

His first was on May 20 when he and selected other prospects visited. But this time was more of a showcase. He worked out in front of the entire Baylor coaching staff. The question is whether he did he did enough to warrant an offer.

“Me and [running backs coach Juice Johnson] are really close,’’ Benson said. “We talk a lot and after the camp. The other coaches actually seeing me in action helped. I think it’s a high chance they offer me. This is the only camp I’m going this summer. Let the chips fall where they may.’’

Some of this offer could be tied to where Baylor could be with College Station running back Marquise Collins and Denton Ryan’s Kalib Hicks. Baylor needs momentum with both.

But there should be enough for Baylor to make a decision one way or another. Offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes has now seen Benson twice.

“Most definitely with the drills and how coaches really wanted to see you work,’’ Benson said. “It really wasn’t about being perfect just working hard and moving full speed.’’

Benson has nine offers including Boise State, Washington State and Tulsa. He has opportunities. This one could mean more.

“I feel like [Saturday] what I showed and my film also shows feel like I’m not your normal back,’’ Benson said. “I’m more of a bigger back that can catch out the back field and can be that all down back so I don’t stress much over it. If God wants me to have it just trusting in him not stressing too much.’’

Hudson being patient
Wesley Hudson
has been burning such a path to Waco in recent weeks that he could probably make the hourlong drive blindfolded.

Well, that’s not a good idea. But you get the point. The 2023 defensive end from Rio Vista has Baylor’s attention. Like Benson, he was at the May 20 event on the BU campus.

And like Benson (6-4, 235), he worked out at the camp to try and make that impression to convince the Baylor coaches to extend an offer. Nothing has happened as of yet.

“[Defensive coordinator Ron Roberts] and [Outside linebackers coach Caleb Collins] said they wanted to see me in camp before offering,’’ Hudson said.

“I was working edge but coach Collins wants me at outside backer…Basically the same position (Jack). And while we were doing 1 on 1s Coach Dennis Johnson and coach Collins all told me what I could’ve done differently to put myself in better situations. Overall, a lot of good work and feedback. Good learning experience.”

Of course, the question is going to be if a player’s ability and skill set can translate from a small Texas high school to a P5 program. There’s a risk because of the caliber of competition he’s facing. That’s why the camp may have cleared up some things.

There’s no question Hudson can play. In nine games, he collected 88 tackles (29 solo) and recorded six of Rio Vista’s 11 sacks.

“Definitely think I’d make an impact with the ability,’’ Hudson said. “I know I have now and I’m only going to improve. At the position jack (OLB) rushing the passer is what I’m best at. Coach Collins said he was going to contact me.’’

Collins has been attending camps to try get his name on the radar. He’s been at events at East Texas Baptist and TCU. Now, is the time before his senior year begins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News