ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor hopefuls talk Pro Day - Part III (Jaxon Player, Ben Sims, Christian Morgan)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Past and present Baylor Bears took advantage of Monday's pro day to show all 32 NFL franchises their skills. For some it was their lone opportunity to make an impression.

Jaxon Player

(What do you have to show the scouts)
I feel like I had to show the scouts (that) I could run (and that) I could lose weight. I’m 20 pounds down from where I was in season, so (I’m) feeling good. I think I ran very well today. (I’ve) just been training hard, so I think the scouts saw what they needed to see.

(What are down to?)
(I’m) 285 (pounds) right now.

Did anybody tell you times?
I just heard a few times, 4.88s (or) 4.89s. So, that's the range I wanted to be good at,

(Pretty good at that size)
I think it moves pretty well.

(Overall had a good day?)
I feel like I had a great day. I mean, I've been out in Florida training for the last three months; training six days a week, getting right, making sure everything was perfect for today. And I feel like I performed well.

(Feel at home)
Yeah, man I’m blessed. I don't think many people get to do their Pro Days at their home high school field. So yeah, I came here over the weekend, just got back used to it and was remembering my stomping grounds.

Did you have family here watching you?)
Yes, sir. I had a lot of family come to town. And (with) me being from Waco, it was hard to tell people they couldn't come, it was only a limited number of guests.

(Special to finish college career where you grew up)
Man, it was great. I got to be around (my) family. My grandpa was sick my last year at Tulsa and he's still a little sick but I got to be home more. My house is 10 minutes away from the stadium. He got to come to my games, so I'm blessed to be here and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

(Undersized, do you have to show scouts other things)
I feel like my tape speaks for itself and I was talking to some scouts earlier and I was telling them I don't think many guys in this year's draft or even in the previous draft have 35 plus TFLs in their career, and I did that. So, my tape speaks for itself. I just need one team to take a chance on me. There's 32 of them.

(Confident about someone giving you a chance)
I feel like it. If they watched the tape, I would. If was a scout, I'd give me a chance.

(Was this infield facility here when you played here)

They built this at the end of my freshman year, so I got to use it for three years and it was great.

(Great memories in here?)
I got to sack my old quarterback a lot in here. He doesn't want to call it a sack but it was definitely a sack. So, I got to do him a little bit in here. He's at Wisconsin now.

(Who was that?)
Tanner Mordecai.

(Did other guys ask about the field)
A lot of guys came and trained earlier, came in on the weekend, got used to the field. Baylor's indoor isn’t like this yet, but it's getting there. They're redoing it now. So I mean, Midway’s blessed with this facility. It’s one of the top facilities in the country, I think. So, I think they were grateful we got to do it indoors and not outside.

(Played nose, maybe being looked at at end, too?)
I could play all five (positions). I played all five my whole career. This year we had some injuries go down at Baylor, so I had to play more nose (tackle) than anything, but I think that just made my film even better, showing I can play all five positions.

(Did guys tease you about high school stadium)
Yeah, they were saying I got home field advantage and some of my times might be faster because it's my hometown. It’s all love (though).

(What happens between now and the draft)
Now in the draft, I just continue to get stronger, stay in the weight room, stay lean. (But) I'm gonna have a cheat day. I haven't had one in a long time. I'm gonna have a cheat day, for sure. But just staying healthy and hopefully get that call that I’m waiting on.

(Toughest thing for you to give up food wise)
Oh man, what was it not is the question. Fried food, home cooking – because I wasn't at home – anything unhealthy, pretty much it I was. That's what I like. So yeah, it was a bunch of just meat, and vegetable diet, no carbs.

(Where are you going on your cheat day?)
I told my mom to shoot for 10,000 calories by the end of the day. So, everywhere. I can budget a few pounds. I'll work it off tomorrow.

(Have you made up with your mom? Back in the fall you said your mom’s home cooking wasn’t great … )
She worked on her cooking. She made it up to me, for sure. That's why I was heavy in the season, for sure.

Ben Sims
(What do you feel like you need to show pro scouts)
I think today was an opportunity for me to kind of show how fast I am. I don't know my official time but I feel like I definitely was able to show some straight line speed and then my short shuttle and then my ‘L cone’ so I think I really impressed some people doing this.

(What was the unofficial time you were told)

(Is that what you had been targeting)
My goal was to tap into the 4.5s. It was a goal, but I didn't know how much truth it was gonna hold. So, I'm really fortunate to run in the 4.5s. Some of my 10-yard projections back when I was training showed I had potential to be in the 4.5s. It was cool – it was the first time, today was the first time I hit the 4.5s.

(What’s this time been like for you)
It's been good, little stressful. But now that (I have) no more school, no more spring ball, things like that, you're kind of able to put yourself in the positions you want to be in. Like, I was able to go to Florida and train at X3. And I can't thank those guys over there enough. They instilled so much confidence in me and really just let me play or let me run I guess. But shout out to those guys. Super happy, super pleased. This last 12 weeks has been such a big roller coaster of emotions and not getting a (NFL) combine invite, things like that, (I’ve been) taking shots but getting back up after every (single) one.

(Familiar faces at X3)
Yeah, so I didn't know I was gonna be with anybody until like a week before I left. I knew Dillon was gonna be there and I knew Grant was gonna be there. Really cool, I got to live with Grant while I was there. So, some familiar faces obviously around. Having them around was good. Me and Grant were in the same workout group most of the time. I think Dillon was with some defensive guys but it's good to be around some some familiar faces for sure.

(How confident are you that you’ll get picked up somewhere)
Going into today, I feel like I was the most confident I've been in a long time. I knew my ability and what I was potentially able to do. And I feel like I did all those things. And I really dedicated the last 12 weeks to try to be the best version of myself I could be today. And I hope I showed you guys that.

(When do you get comfortable in this setting, combine is different from traditional football)
It gets so repetitive to an extent. You kind of, just it turns into muscle memory. And then towards the end of it all, when I was training, I started trying to wig (?) myself out a little bit, like tell myself that all my friends and teammates that were around me at X3 were all scouts and coaches and just trying to make myself feel nervous, so (that) when today came I could be at my best.

(Talk to any teams?)
Yes sir. Fortunately, enough, I was able to meet with like 24 teams at the NFLPA game, and I've been having some conversations with some teams. But always hope to hear more.

(Do you expect to hear your name called?)
That’s been my goal.

(On Drake coming back and taking over your role for next year)
I'm so happy for Drake. I'm so happy for Drake, I'm so happy for Gavin Yates. I'm so happy for all the young guys in that room that are beginning to get this opportunity to be able to show all their abilities on the field.

(On Drake, to come back)
You know, Drake broke one of his – I think this is a second foot injury. So, for him it feels kind of repetitive, I'm sure. And definitely emotionally hard to handle. But that kid, he's so tough and I've been trying to keep up with those guys, especially him and I think he's taking it one at a time and then trying to be the leader of that group, trying to take that next step. And I know he has the ability to do it. I know he does too. But for him, it's about being able to stay healthy and just do what he can help the team.

(Which NFL team did you grow up rooting for)
Nowhere specific. I mean, I liked, I was a really big Colt McCoy fan, when he was drafted. So, I had a Browns jersey. I had a Clay Matthews jersey, so I liked the Packers a little bit. Those two guys, man, probably both those teams but I don't have a diehard team.

Christian Morgan

(How did today go for you)
It went real good. I feel like I tested really well and came out here, it was pretty smooth in drill work, could’ve caught the ball a little bit better, but ball seeking (?) is always something I’m working on.

(What do you need to show scouts)
Just living (?) my versatility. The past three years I was kind of a half field safety, that's pretty much what I did. So, just something I could do more than playing deep, showing that I can play a little bit closer to the box, stuff like that, because that's what their projecting me at. And, but just showing my versatility.

(Projecting you as a safety?)
Yes sir. Well, safety, outside linebacker, slot, whatever. That's kind of what I’ve been talking about.

(What numbers were you getting)
Yeah, I talked with some of my coaches and then my trainer down here – shout out to my trainer Austin Potter. He did an amazing job with my my pre draft training and my training through (?). So, he did real good. But I talked to Coach Powledge and he told me that scouts got 4.46, 4.48, 4.50. So, I was happy with those numbers. On my broad jump, 10.11, I felt like I could have got a little bit better on that. Vertical, 40.5. And then, I'm not sure about the L drill and the (?.

(40.5 pretty good on the vertical)
Yes sir, it was pretty good.

(What did you do to prepare for today)
I just spent a lot of time, six days a week with my trainer, like I said Austin Potter, the best in the business down in Humble, Texas. Yeah, did that and a lot of footwork stuff with trainer Ja’Cory (I think …) Oneway (?). So yeah, that's what I did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News