ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor HC Dave Aranda presser before Texas (Transcript/Video posted)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009

It started later than usual today 3:15. They have to change some things around with Friday's 11:00 am kickoff in Austin. Transcript should come later.

A couple of notes:
*WR Gavin Holmes hurt his leg against TCU but Aranda said he hopes to have him for Texas.
*Aranda stressed that they aren't going away from Richard Reese. However, it's just a case that both Sqwirl Williams and Qualan Jones have experienced success. Aranda said Reese is not injurd.
*There was some emotion still from Sunday. However, Aranda said the energy for practice was pretty good.

Opening Statement

We had a spirited practice today. So impressive just the team’s effort this past Saturday, the energy, the care factor, the speeds that we were playing with were all what we would like and striving for in all of it. The execution is still something we’re really working hard to improve upon. So much credit goes to TCU and just their ability to take a punch, and kind of keep swinging. They’re such an impressive team and hats off to them.

Excited for the opportunity on Friday with Texas. Their skill level and their fight, you watch them on defense, they run to the ball and they play with effort. Offensively, they’re such a quick strike, explosive outfit. Playing coaches on that team that we have relationships with and respect for and all of it, so it should be a really good one. We’re working to build on the practice we had today so we can be our best.

(Will it be hard to put TCU loss behind) We spent quite a bit of time when we came back yesterday, and that was really kind of a Sunday/Monday for us. It was very much on their faces, there were a couple of guys still emotional in the meeting from the game. We talked about there is a Scottish warrior who says something like “I’m going to lay down here and bleed awhile and then I’ll rise and fight again” and I think that’s totally it. I think the ability to really collectively kind of rise and fight is what it’s all about. So that’s all we’re talking about and the energy today was really good. We can continue to build on that. The more film we’ve shown, Texas kind of speaks for itself, and just the opportunity that’s presented there Friday morning, and just the whole of it, I know I’m really looking forward to it and I think the team will too.

(Blake’s performance) I think with Blake, there’s been continued improvement throughout the year. I think you look at the beginning of the year with ball security and the slides and all of it, I think he has progressed. Maybe not 100 percent, but I think it’s improved throughout. He’s really made an intentional effort to improve in those things. I think for him when the picture is clear and the coverage is diagnosed and he’s got a clean pocket, I mean he’s really, really good. I think there’s been improvement throughout the year when he can’t step up when there’s pressure in his face or when he’s out of the pocket, and ball security and keeping his eyes down the field, those are examples of things that maybe weren’t great at the start and then it’s gotten greater. I think he still wants growth in those areas, and I think some of those areas popped up on Saturday. He has been improving on it. But for all of us, and for me, I’d like to be so much better than I am. So I’m sure it’s the same for him. So he’ll stay and fight.

(Running the ball tougher late in game) I give credit to TCU. I thought they did a great job getting penetration right off the snap. I thought they won the line of scrimmage there right at the beginning. Our backs were running hard and they were churning their leg and all of it, and our linemen were trying to get behind them and push and do all the things. I think we just didn’t execute, and you give credit to TCU because there’s that drive and that drive previous too. To run the ball as well as we did and to move the ball as well as we did, and then to get to those possessions and not, I think kind of speaks to where we’re at. You take that and address the things that can be corrected in terms of those specific things, and then work to be better.

(Richard Reese less work load) He’s healthy. He’s had some explosive runs, and I thought in the throw game he was where he was supposed to be and did what he needed to be doing. So I think his growth and not being the primary ballhandler, so to speak, I think it just shows we have a healthy room once again. You’ve got Sqwirl and his continued emergence because he’s healthy now. Then you’ve got Qualan from the start of the year until where we are now, he’s up there in terms of most improved, and he’s running the ball like you’d expect from a guy who looks like he does. That was not necessarily the case at the beginning of the year, and the credit goes to him.

(What have you seen from Kelsey Johnson over the last few weeks) Physical, physical, physical. I think there is a great love of the game. He loves football. He can block with his hand in the ground, he can block from a two-point (stance), he can block when he’s in motion. And I think all of those things are kind of being exploited now. I think he’s a really good pass catcher. He had the run the other day. So, I think just his variable skills. One of the things that makes him unique is we can walk through something, we can teach something, and he can do it in a team period, and then he’s ready to go with it and play it with full confidence. And not kind of a question, or an anxiousness, just full confidence and full go. That’s much appreciated, and I think that’s continuing to show up on Saturdays.

(Gavin Holmes status) He started the game, and I think the very first kickoff return, he injured his leg. So, we’re hoping that we get him back. That’s the plan right now. He moved around some today, he did good. He’ll move around a little bit more tomorrow. The short week kind of compresses it, for sure, but he looked good today, so we’re hopeful.

(Being able to limit Bijan Robinson like you did last year) It’s always difficult. His film is very impressive. We played Kansas State a few weeks back, and Deuce had his patience, kind of his sliding back there; A, B, C, D, looking for a gap to hit, then he sees it and hits it. This guy is very similar in that, but then also, if there’s just a sliver of daylight there, he can take it and lower his shoulder and move the pile, too. So, a guy that can do it all. It’s the ability to withstand some of the big-play strikes, whether it’s in the run or the pass, and then continue to play technique when there’s a patient home-run hitter back there. That’s really going to be the key.

(Seen from Quinn Ewers) I think when he sees the coverages and he sees really clear, ‘Hey, this is what they’re going with, this is where my one-on-one is, here’s very clearly what my progression is.’ When all that stuff’s kind of lined up, he’s very, very good. I think when it’s kind of dirty or gray, it’s better for the defense. And his arm strength is such that he can make all the throws. So, if the ball’s on the hash and you’re on an out way on the other side of it, you’ve got to be able to stick your foot in the ground and drive three hard steps, close that distance, because that ball could be there and he could throw that guy open. So, there are plenty of throws of that. He definitely makes you work. And when you watch him on film, and you’re a DB, you see it right away.

(Dealing with all the variables of a short week, Thanksgiving, etc., how do you deal with all the variables) I think just try to focus on what’s right in front of you. I think the team the last two weeks, we’ve been through it some, but I think that’s all part of it. And I think we’re stronger for it. And we’re probably a closer team now than we were just two weeks ago. I think you find out so much about yourself, especially when there’s trials, tribulations and all of it. And when people can fully put their heart out, and then kind of have it crushed at the end, I think it’s so vulnerable to do that and for guys to do that. And then, to make the decision to do it again I think speaks to just a strong growth with the team. We’re aiming to do that.

You have your heart out there, and then kind of have a crushed at the end, you know, I think it's so vulnerable to do that. And to for guys to do that. And then to make the decision. Here to do it, again, I think speaks to just a strong growth with the team. We're aiming to do that.

(Not having the carrot of a Big 12 title game, is it trickier in terms of just motivation when you’re just playing for maybe a better bowl game) I think always the emphasis on intrinsic on, this is where I’m at right now, this is who I could become. And then further, just collectively, this is where we’re at right now, this is what we could become. You look at that game this past Saturday, and the effort, the speed and just all of it, that’s us right there. We just have to be able to execute better. But for really one of the first times this year, unfortunately, number-wise, that was us. And to be able to bring that back and to make people have to see that and face that, that’s our goal.

(Winning the last two on the road, does that give you confidence going on the road again) It’s crazy that you’re asking that question, isn’t it? Our guys have kind of mentioned that. I think they like being on the road because it’s just us in that. There probably is some of that. Just based upon this year, and just when we’re in the hotel, it’s whoever’s in that team meeting room specifically, that it’s us versus the whole thing in that meeting at night prior to the game. So, I think there is some of that. But again, I go back to the previous question of, it has come from inside out on things that you can control and things that that you want to be able to show and put on tape, because you’re choosing either courage or comfort. You can either kind of just hold back or you can put yourself out there again. And you really can’t choose both.

(How are you handling Thanksgiving) So, we’ll have Thanksgiving here for the team right after our walk-through. It will be just for our players and for our staff. And then, with the 11 o’clock game on Friday, we’ll kind of disperse and guys will be able to go with their families and all of it. So, I think there will be two Thanksgivings for guys, so that’s always a positive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mar.Gen.bf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News