ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Camp Notebook: Arizona 2022 DE talks offer

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Baylor’s second summer camp was far different than the first. And that was a good thing. About 270 were in attendance. That’s a good number because it means there were enough reps for those hopefuls who needed a fair evaluation. The level of talent there was striking. A complete 180 from what was there on June 15 when it was barely over 100.

Everything started at Highers and the Allison Indoor Complex before finishing back at McLane Stadium.

Arizona 2022 DE nets offer
Baylor trusts its own evaluation system rather than relying on third-party assistance. So when it found Flagstaff, AZ TE/DE Nick Morrow about a month ago, it made enough of an impression for him to take the time to travel.

And that’s not an easy travel. Flagstaff to Waco is 1,000 miles or 15 ½ hours. Take your pick. But it was worth it as the Bears offered him as a defensive end.

“Yeah it was coach [Offensive line coach Eric Mateos] that I’ve been talking to,’’ Morrow said. “And I think what convinced me to come out was the opportunity to show my talent against so many great players and to get in front of some college coaches.’’

Baylor appears to like him on defense. And one of the reasons is an 82-inch wingspan. Yes, that’s nearly seven feet. That’s going to be hard for a QB to throw through that kind of window.

Still, Morrow is a relative unknown. His only offers are from Cal and his hometown Northern Arizona, an FCS school.

Of course, this was Morrow’s first visit to the Baylor campus. He couldn’t see much except for touring the facilities from the outside and taking a look around the campus. But it turned out pretty well.

“I started on offensive line and then moved to defensive line,’’ Morrow said. “Just getting better with my hands and working on what the OL gives you. They didn’t talk about everything regarding my game. But they do like my length.

“I think I’m pretty good at getting after the qb and when they run just setting a solid edge and turning stuff inside. What I have to work on is knowing what moves to make when rushing the quarterback.’’

Now, the question will be if this relationship will move beyond the offer in terms of an official visit. Nothing has been set at this time.

DFW DB likes Baylor
DFW 2023 defensive back Jaylon Braxton is getting ready to play for Jeff Rayburn at Frisco Lone Star this fall.

Already holding to Big 12 offers from Kansas and Kansas State, Braxton was at Baylor Saturday to demonstrate to the Baylor coaching staff that he could be worthy of the Bears’ offer.

He took note of the 7-on-7 drill where he saw plenty of work against some talented receivers. Braxton was nearly textbook as he made every play and nearly came away with an interception. He saw about 12 reps during that drill.

“I’ve never been to a camp where they did 7-on-7,’’ Braxton said. “It helps you real situations especially rout concepts. You had to read and react. Instead of going man to man, you had to play some zone.

“It’s a lot better than just going 1 on 1 where you’re only playing man.’’

Braxton has been in discussions with new Baylor defensive backs coach Kevin Curtis. While the talent is the draw, the difference could be how he does the little things and if the Bears will offer.

“They treat you like family,’’ Braxton said. “I think coach Curtis liked my instincts. Just being the first in line. Keep your head and pay attention to everything. My parents have told to be the first in everything. Just check all the boxes.’’

Because he runs in a track meet Sunday, Braxton didn’t run the 40. However, he cleared 33 on his vertical and 10 feet on his broad jump. This was his second appearance at Baylor.

He went in 2019 before he was going to be a freshman. He plans to attend camps at LSU, Kansas State and Tulsa later this summer.

“My strength is my press man coverage. I’m real fast and I think I have good ball skills,’’ Braxton said. “I think I can improve my ball skills.’’

Backyard DB shines
Waco Connally 2024 defensive back Kobe Black still has three more years of high school football to play.

But when you’re 6-2 and already getting on the radar with Big 12 schools, that means you have little in your game. The dynamic defensive back was on display at Baylor’s camp Saturday. He already has an offer from Oklahoma State.

“It was good. I had a great time. There was some really good competition out there,’’ Black said. “The thing I felt I got some great work on from [Kevin Curtis] was my footwork and breaking on routes.’’

Black helped Connally advance to the Class 4A Division II playoffs before losing a heartbreaker to Center, 31-30.

But it’s almost certainty that his stock will continue to rise as he continues through the summer camp season. Time will tell if and when Baylor will offer.

“I know what I did got me better,’’ he said. “I feel like Baylor’s close to offering me. But I just have to be patient and just keep doing my job.’’

Notable…
Baylor offered 2024 Texarkana (TX) Pleasant Grove athlete Lance Jackson as an athlete. At 6-5, 230. There’s so much upside but so much football for him to play before he settles into a position that fits the best. Baylor worked him out at tight end, offensive line and defensive line Saturday…Tyler Junior College defensive back Jaylon Shelton said he felt like his camp effort went well. He said he ran a 4.4 in the 40 and had a 36-vertical jump. Baylor needs some DBs for the 2022. Shelton got the impression that the coaches could offer in the coming days. If so, watch what would happen there if BU does. You probably know what that means…College Station 2024 QB Arrington Maiden is just trying to make an impression. He hopes the summer camp season will help. He played on the JV in 2020 and is battling for a backup QB spot on the varsity in 2021.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.