ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Sept. 30, 2022

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper

>Just a reminder that if you are going to Baylor-Oklahoma State at McLane Stadium Saturday, it’s a gold out. Dress appropriately.

>If you ever take a look at the 2023 commitment performance chart and look at Mesquite Horn safety DJ Coleman’s line, you’ll see an oddity. He’s blocked three punts.

Some players have a penchant for doing something well year after year. Perhaps this is a one-year thing. Whatever it is, what Coleman is doing is interesting with three blocks through the first five weeks.

Blocking one kick takes a little bit of luck combined with preparation. But tripling that is something else.

“It’s really game planned,’’ Coleman said. “My coaches find ways to manipulate the other team’s blocking scheme and use my speed to get there.’’

Notable Oklahoma State visitors
As we mentioned, this is a big-ticket event and plenty of big names are expected to attend. Subject to change, these are the recruits who have told SicEmSports they plan to come Saturday afternoon.

Austin Novosad
, QB, Dripping Springs (Baylor Commit)
LeVar Thornton, DB, Keller Timber Creek (Baylor Commit)
Isaiah Robinson, OL, Arlington Lamar (Baylor Commit)
DK Kalu, DT, Fort Bend Ridge Point (Baylor Commit)
Tay’Shawn Wilson, DB, Katy Mayde Creek (Baylor Commit)
Taurean York, LB, Temple (Baylor Commit)
Corey Kelly, LB, League City Clear Falls (Baylor Commit)
Dawson Pendergrass, RB, Mineola (Baylor Commit)
Wes Tucker, OL, Argyle (Baylor Commit)
DJ Coleman, DB, Mesquite Horn (Baylor Commit)
Brendan Bett, DT, Killeen Ellison (Baylor Commit)
Trey Wilson, DE, Garland Lakeview Centennial (Baylor Commit)

Jadon Porter
, WR, Lorena (Baylor commit)
Caleb Hackleman, OL, Texarkana Pleasant Grove (Baylor Offer)
Terry Bussey, Ath, Timpson – Rivals No. 241 (Baylor Offer)
Will Hammond, QB, Hutto (Baylor Interest)
Holton Hendrix, OL, Lubbock-Cooper (Baylor Offer)
Ryan Hughes, OL, Katy (Baylor Interest)
Mason Dossett, Ath, Fort Bend Ridge Point (Baylor Offer)
Aaron Flowers, DB, Forney – Rivals No. 197 (Baylor Offer)
Marcos Davila, QB, Midland Legacy (Baylor Offer)
Selman Bridges, DB, Lake Belton (Baylor Offer)
Braylon Conley, DB, Humble Atascocita (Baylor Interest)
Bryant Wesco, WR, Midlothian (Baylor Offer)
Taylor Tatum, RB, Longview (Baylor offer)

Logan Schram
, OL, Boerne (Baylor Offer)
Chad Warner, QB, Cibolo Steele (Baylor Interest)
Dane Jones, WR, Pearland Shadow Creek (Baylor Offer)
Adrian Wilson, WR, Pflugerville Weiss (Baylor Offer)
Chase Garnett, RB, Keller Central (Baylor Interest)
Talan Holmes, WR, Haslet V.R. Eaton (Baylor Interest)
Andrew T. Marsh, WR/DB, Katy Jordan (Baylor Interest)
Kelvion Riggins, LB, South Oak Cliff (Baylor offer)

Baylor Players talk Oklahoma State
Defensive end TJ Franklin, CB Snaxx Johnson and TE Drake Dabney met the media earlier in the week to discuss the win at Iowa State and looking ahead to Saturday with No. 9 Oklahoma State.

TJ Franklin
(OSU offense)
I see a bunch of gritty guys, guys that know they’re coming to handle business. Our focus this week is to match their intensity and do what we do, hold them under 100 yards rushing and try to get to the quarterback as much as we can.

(Holding teams under 100 yards rushing) For us, we want to keep teams under 100, no matter who is. It’s gut wrenching, it’s embarrassing for us if teams even get close to 100. That’s how much of an emphasis we’ve made on it this year. We just want to not give them the opportunity to be a two-sided offense. We want them to be one-sided.

(Intercepting Spencer Sanders seven times last year) We just had a lot of veterans in the backfield, people who knew what they were going to see, watched film and applied it to the game in situations. So when they saw it, it wasn’t the first time they saw it, so they knew it was going to come to them. He’s a good quarterback. He’s an all-around quarterback. He can scramble, he can throw the ball. He’s one of those players we have to keep a good eye on this week.

(Are you amped up more for this game) We get amped up for every game. No game is more important than the next one in our opinion. So we just try to keep the same intensity every week.

(How much do you turn to Big 12 title game for scouting) We really don’t because they’re a completely different team. They had people leave, we had people leave, so we know we’re going to have to get our matchups and try to play off each other.

(Bryson Jackson) Honestly, he’s just become one of those ballers. He’s one of those people who has a super high motor, one of those people that’s always around the ball. He’s kind of similar I would say to Jalen Pitre last year. He always knows where the ball’s going to go, he’s always going to be there when the ball gets there.

(Playing at home) Definitely. We’ve got this go gold, gold-out thing this week. We’re really excited for that. I know the fans and the supporters are going to bring a lot of energy with that, so that’s definitely going to fuel us on the field.

(How gratifying was it to win in Ames after BYU loss) That honestly was what we couldn’t do last year. I feel like a lot of us had that experience last year and didn’t want it to happen again. We really took our time to understand that we’re going to be put in these situations where the crowds are going to be loud, and we can’t really get big-eyed and confused and nervous. We understand we have to lock in a little more and focus a little more and be more communicative and come together.

(What would it mean to go into the bye week with a win over OSU) Honestly, it would probably be good. It would be less stressful because a bye week coming off a loss would be where everybody’s going at each other, everybody’s mad at each other, and we don’t really need that right now. Hopefully, everybody just comes together.

(OSU playing up-tempo) We’ve been getting a lot of tempo reps at practice, so we’re trying to work our way into it so we’re prepared for it. I could see that’s the best part we’ve done so far.

(BU running the ball well) We enjoy that a lot. We get off the field and sometimes they don’t. But with them being able to run the ball so consistently and being that reliable violent offense they want to be, it helps us want to play harder for them because we know that when they get the ball in their hands that they’ll do something with it. But at the same time with them keeping it on the field and doing what they do, it gives us a big break and allows us to be fresh whenever we go back out there.

(Getting turnovers vs. Iowa State) Honestly, it’s one of the things we’ve been talking about since fall camp. Not playing antsy, not having super bad anxiety about it, just going out there playing green and playing free. It’s a big emphasis every week. But we know as a defense we’re going to have to do whatever we can to get the ball back to the offense and make it a one-sided game.

(Getting pass rush first half) In my opinion, a lot of teams come out early and try to run the ball, and we know if we kill the run in the first half that we know they’re going to try to come out and pass the ball. So that’s whenever we try to hunker down and get off the ball with the pass rush.

Drake Dabney
(Have you seen much difference between this year and last year's defense for them?)
I
think the main difference is the new people on their defense. A lot of the same frontline guys. Definitely new secondary, new linebackers, but it's still the same Oklahoma State team. [A] lot to respect about that defense. So, they’ll be bringing it.

(Will that be more of the more athletic teams you'll see this year?)
I think it's one of the better defenses we'll face. So, definitely be a good challenge for us.

(How much do you practice hurdling guys)
Not a lot but I know me and Ben had a couple of days where we stayed after and just messed around kind of doing it and we'll do it in warm up sometimes, doing high knees. So, it's fun to actually be able to do it in the game.

(Take me through the hurdle)
I mean, we've been talking about the hurdle in the tight end room for a minute. So I mean, before the drive, I was talking to Grimes, he was like, ‘Just be ready to pop open. You know, they're gonna go low. So go ahead and do it.’ And I just told him, ‘I'm gonna do it.’ So I mean, once I got the ball, it was a sure chance I was gonna jump no matter what. I'm gonna live or die by it. So I just did it and it worked out.

(Did you think the pass game took a needed step at Iowa State?)
Yeah, for sure. I think Blake got into a rhythm. He looked very comfortable out there. I think the receivers were able to get open and do very well. So I think we definitely took a step forward in that area.

(How big was a game like Texas state where you don't have Ben and you're kind of the guy)
It's big just because we have other guys that were able to step up and kind of take over and be in a different position than we're usually in. So I think not so much pressure but just an opportunity to just show that we can still do it too.

(On running the ball successfully)
We take a lot of pride in it. And I think it's one of the things that we're still trying to get better at each and every day. And that's still what we want our identity to be is that RVO: reliable, violent offense. We want to continue to take steps forward in the run game this season.

(Can y'all be any more amped up for this game? I mean, considering games against them last year?)
Yeah, I mean, everyone knows what happened last year, but we're two different teams and I think we're all excited to get to showcase what we can do this year.

(How excited are you to be back here playing before home crowd?)
Yeah. I'm honestly very excited to see the crowd kind of Go Gold again. I know our atmospheres can get pretty crazy. Think about some games last year like OU that we had at home so, definitely excited to kind of get that feeling again, and definitely use it to our advantage with the crowd.

(Winning on the road)
Yeah, I mean, losing to BYU was definitely tough for all of us, the coaches, players and everyone. I think we just learned from it, put it behind us and just took one step at a time into going into Iowa State and I think that's a big, big win on the road to definitely propel us for this next game.

(What’d you see from younger guys in Ames)
The plan was to just kind of do simple better. I think we did that, we played fast. Saw a lot of guys playing green. Didn't try to do too much. Just kind of be us. That's really all we wanted to do.

(11 different receivers, something you try to do, spread it out so much?)
Yeah, I think we got a lot of guys that can go. So why not use them. If we can move the ball around and just get different looks out there, it's gonna be hard for a defense to kind of catch on to what we're doing or who's always gonna get the ball when it's someone different each time. So, I think it's definitely an advantage that we have in this offense.

(See Blake gaining confidence in the receivers?)
Yeah, I think so. I think he's always had confidence in everyone just from the work we put in this summer. So, I don't think there's a doubt in his mind that our receivers can go make plays and the tight ends can go make plays as well.

Snaxx Johnson
(What do you see from OSU)
They’re a good, explosive team, a big-play team.

(Spencer Sanders) He’s a good competitor, he’s like the leader of their team. He makes plays himself, good thrower, good athlete.

(On the play where you popped the ball out near the goal line)
It was Coach Aranda preaching effort and getting the ball out and playing for my brothers.
(When they overturned it)
Frustrated? Yeah, I was frustrated.

(More amped up for this matchup because of last year’s games) I wouldn’t necessarily say that. It’s still great energy, it’s a conference game. But, I wouldn’t say it’s because of them.

(What did you fix from BYU to win a big road game at Ames) I feel like it was comfortability with each other, because that was our first real road-game test. I just felt like we got more comfortable and trusted each other more. And it was able to pay off.

(On the move from STAR to corner, was that something you wanted, and are you getting more comfortable there?) Yeah, it was something I wanted. It’s starting to get more comfortable game by game, just trying to get better and perfect my craft.

(How big would it be to get some turnovers in this game) It would be big, get the ball back, give our offense more chances to go score the ball.

(What do you expect from Bryson Jackson when he’s out there) We expect effort. If we had a leader for effort, it would be him. He gives 100% every play. That’s what we expect.

(How do you prepare for the OSU offense’s fast tempo) Practice with tempo at practice. There’s tempo at practice. Make sure you can do what you can when you’re tired, do your job.

SicEmSports Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports unveils its looks at the league who in its view deserves to be ranked where. Agree or disagree, here’s how they look.
1. Baylor – Most complete performance of the season at Iowa State
2. Oklahoma State – Spencer Sanders and the Baylor demons
3. Oklahoma – Brent Venables honeymoon is over
4. Kansas State — Chris Klieman, the Mayor of Norman, OK
5. TCU – Sonny Dykes came here to coach these games (vs OU)
6. Kansas – Jalon Daniels Heisman whispers start
7. Texas Tech – Joey McGuire trying to change the image
8. Texas – Longhorns blow it in Lubbock
9. West Virginia – Script hoping to flip in Austin
10. Iowa State – Matt Campbell hype machine with mechanical issues

Big 12 Weekend
A look at the Big 12 schedule for the upcoming weekend. All games are Saturday unless otherwise listed. Rankings are from the coaches and AP polls. All times are central. TV is listed. All 10 teams are in action.

Texas Tech (3-1, 1-0) at No. 25 Kansas State (3-1, 1-0); 11:00 a.m., Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS (ESPN+)
Series:
Kansas State leads, 13-9
Notable: Red Raiders have run the most plays of any Big 12 team (337). Kansas State scoring defense is second (15.8).

No. 18 Oklahoma (3-1, 0-1) at TCU (3-0); 11:00 a.m., Amon Carter Stadium, Fort Worth (ABC)
Series:
Oklahoma leads, 17-5
Notable: Sooners have the worst rushing defense in the league (157.5). TCU QBs completing nearly 76 percent of their passes.

No. 9 Oklahoma State (3-0) at No. 16 Baylor (3-1, 1-0); 2:30 p.m., McLane Stadium, Waco (FOX)
Series:
Oklahoma State leads, 22-19
Notable: Cowboys QB Spencer Sanders leads the Big 12 in total offense (342.0). Baylor is third in total defense (305.0)

Iowa State (3-1, 1-0) at Kansas (4-0, 1-0); 2:30 p.m., Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS (ESPN)
Series:
Kansas leads, 50-45-6
Notable: Jayhawks have scored the most touchdowns in the Big 12 (27). Cyclones have scored the fewest (15).

West Virginia (2-2, 0-1) at Texas (2-2, 0-1); 6:30 p.m., Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin (FS1)
Series:
West Virginia leads, 6-5
Notable: Mountaineer WR Bryce Ford-Wheaton averaging nearly seven receptions per game. Longhorns second-worst in the conference in converting third down (33 percent).

Last edited:
Reactions: MattPackard94
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News