ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Sept. 20, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

Reading between Bonds' tweet

You can understand euphoria about true freshman DT Byron Bonds letting it be known he was excited to make his first start Saturday against UL-Monroe. You should tell everybody.

From what I know, it looks as if it will happen. While it's a bit of a surprise, you can see the reasoning for it. Remember Art Briles has said it's sometimes more difficult trying to find a defensive tackle than it is a quarterback.

So what we have here is Baylor potentially burning a redshirt it didn't want to burn because of need. What I take from this are the following:

>No Javonte Magee already impacted the depth

>Trevor Clemons-Valdez (knee) won't play Saturday. Just keep your fingers crossed he can return Oct. 5 against West Virginia.

>Andrew Billings sprained ankle still isn't right and it's iffy if he will even play.

>You can't enter a game with only three defensive tackles with Suleiman Masumbuko, Beau Blackshear and Terrell Brooks. So you have to find somebody who can help. Maybe Zorrell Ezell just isn't cutting it.

-Kevin Lonnquist

UL-Monroe-Baylor visitors

These are never exact and you never know until they come. But these are the recruits who have told SicEmSports they plan to attend Saturday afternoon's game against UL-Monroe. By the way, it's looking like there will be a big group for the Big 12 opener Oct. 5 against West Virginia.

>KD Cannon, WR, Mount Pleasant (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Verkedric Vaughns, DB, Mesquite Poteet (Baylor 2014 commit - he's hoping to make it)

>Terence Williams, RB, Ennis (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Jamie Jacobs, LB, Waco Midway (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Devontre Stricklin, WR, Waco Midway (Baylor 2015 offer)

>Blake Mahon, TE, Coppell (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Patrick Lawrence, OL, Waxahachie (Baylor 2014 commit - he said he's planning on it)

>James Lockhart, DE, Ennis (Baylor 2015 offer - still thinking about it)

>Blake Lynch, Ath, Troup (Baylor 2015 offer)

-Kevin Lonnquist

Wheeler likes Baylor

The more Dallas Skyline 2015 linebacker Anthony Wheeler gets to know Baylor, the more he likes what the Bears are trying to do on defense.

Wheeler, who was offered by Baylor at June 7 at Lake Highlands, is patrolling the middle of the field for the Raiders. Skyline is off to a 2-1 start that featured a come-from-behind victory over The Woodlands in the season opener.

"It's been going good so far,'' Wheeler said of his season. "For me, reading the plays is coming a little easier now. I had to learn the formations and sets before the snap. But I'm getting that now.''

Wheeler said he is seriously considering Baylor and has them as one of his favorites. However, he cautioned that he is trying to keep an open mind to everybody. He does plan on attending one of Baylor's home games this fall. He just hasn't decided which one.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Beard awaiting eligibility ruling

Last I spoke with Austin Westlake coach Darren Allman OL Stefan Beard wasn't officialy in the program or enrolled in school, but he was close. That was a couple months ago. Since then, Beard -- who got a Baylor offer after attending a camp over the summer -- is now officially at Westlake after moving from Illinois.

But he still has another hurdle.

"He's in school and he's doing great," Allman said. "On Tuesday, we have a hearing with the UIL on his eligibility. That's his status right now. We go in front of the state executive committee to plead our case. Hopefully we'll get him eligible, but if not, he becomes a good team manager. He has a compelling story -- he's a great kid. Hopefully we have the right information they need."

Allman says Beard will get a chance at the next level no matter what. He has the size and strength you want in a lineman. But he does lack experience.

"That's one of the important things -- hopefully he gets some help and gets eligible and can get on film a little bit," Allman said. "I think he'll potentially get more offers anyway from the eye test alone, but he's not a great football player yet because hasn't played enough. If he gets to play, I think his opportunities will grow."

So Tuesday is the biggest day in Beard's football life so far. I have plans to talk with Allman the following day to talk about the outcome. But I also plan to dig a bit deeper, because it appears there's more to Beard's story than simply being a transfer to Westlake with major-college potential.

"Since we've last talked, I've gotten to know him, and it's really a phenomenal story," Allman said. "It's a cool deal. And he's thriving right now. His decision to get away from his previous environment and get here is going to get him into college. It was a gusty move on his part. I think it's going to pay off for him."
-Jake Shaw

Hasty the recruiter

Longview 2015 running back JaMycal Hasty has been playing recruiter for fellow teammate 2014 Zaycoven Henderson. He's on tape of saying that.

Well Hasty, who has Central Texas ties because of his father, has said that he is strongly considering Baylor. While he plans on taking other unofficial visits, the visit to Waco back in July continues to make a strong impression on him. He took in a morning workout.

"When I went to Baylor, I got a chance to see the team work out and things that on daily toward being a Bear,'' Hasty said. "That's just something I haven't had a chance to see at other schools.''

Keep in mind that the four-star Hasty is only about 5-9 but he is just flat out fast. Through Longview's first three games, he's rushed for 509 yards (7.4 ypc) and three touchdowns with a long of 62 yards. He's also been dynamic catching the ball with five receptions for 124 yards and two scores.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Dunning's season over

Whitehouse 2015 defensive back Justin Dunning, a 4-star standout that Baylor offered, underwent knee surgery Wednesday to repair a torn left ACL he suffered Sept. 5.

"I just came down on it wrong,'' he said.

Dunning said he spoke with Baylor assistant Kendal Briles before the surgery and received his good wishes. Dunning said his rehab begins Friday. If everything goes according to plan, he could be ready for spring football.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Change of plans for Medford

Lester Medford won't be visiting Baylor this weekend after all. But that's probably a good thing.

The Indian Hills C.C. point guard will instead visit the weekend of Oct. 11th. That will allow a few key people in his life to make the trip to Waco with him.

"He pushed it back to the second weekend in October," Medford's coach, Barrett Peery, said. "It was just scheduling conflicts with his mother -- she couldn't make it during that time, and I think his AAU coach wanted to go as well."

Medford (6-1, 170) had a big year as a freshman at Arizona Western, earning all-American honors. But he then transferred to Indian Hills and thus had to sit out the 2012-13 season. In that time, Peery's had a chance to really get to know Medford's game.

"He's very quick and he's an aggressive, powerful guard," he said. "He's small but strong and very athletic. He can play quick and fast in the open floor, he can shoot the three, and plays the pick and roll well. He's very good in the half court."

I'll have more on Medford before his visit in a few weeks.
-Jake Shaw

Warren evaluating

Rockwall 2015 running back Chris Warren obviously liked what he saw when he attended Baylor's 70-13 rout over Buffalo. The Bears rushed for 329 yards. Heisman Trophy candidate Lache Seastrunk accounted for 150 of those.

There's little doubt that Baylor has made a strong impression on Warren and that the kindness is being returned. However, his mother said there is a plan that they are sticking to throughout this process.

"Yes, he likes Baylor a lot,'' she said. "But he will not be committing anytime soon.''

The plan is for Warren to come up with a top six after 2013-14 school year. By the time his senior year begins, that number will be shaved in half to three schools. From there, it will be up to Warren to decide what place suits him.

"All three will be great options for him,'' she said.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Jamabo healing

As we continue the trend of 2015 running backs, Plano West's Soso Jamabo didn't play in the Wolves' opener because of a shoulder injury but has returned to play in the last two.

And he looks pretty healthy. Jamabo has rushed for 198 yards in his first two games. He's been brought back slowly. He rushed for 58 yards against Lake Highlands and followed that with 140 against South Garland. Jamabo continues the buildup Friday against Mesquite.

"It's feeling great right now,'' he said.

And don't worry. He hasn't forgotten about Baylor. He plans to take a visit to watch one of the Bears' games soon.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Kelly never lost faith

Wylie athlete Kameron Kelly saw the communication with Baylor die off in early June. That was around the same time Princeton's Jourdan Blake committed to the Bears.

"It was disappointing, but I knew I just had to keep working for somebody to take a look at me,'' he said.

Well Baylor recirculated with Kelly last week when Wylie played Mesquite Poteet. Kelly had a quick greeting with Jim Gush who then went on to speak Wylie coach Bill Howard. The good news for Kelly and Baylor is that they have re-established the dialogue. Now, the Bears' coaching staff just needs to see the film from the first three games to have another evaluation piece. Baylor has not offered yet.

"I know I've been overlooked but I understand that because of my broken elbow my junior year,'' Kelly said. "Right now, I feel like I'm playing well and I hope I'm back on the radar. I loved Baylor when I'm there. The intensity is great and they are very family oriented.''

Kelly hopes to visit soon for a football game. There's likely trio to come, him, teammate and Baylor commit T'Kevian Rockwell and Mesquite Poteet defensive back Verkedric Vaughns.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at this Saturday's action. All times are central.

Louisiana Tech (1-2) at Kansas (1-1)

11:00 a.m. Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: Well, the Kansas offense isn't very good right now. Receivers are dropping passes. QB Jake Heaps hasn't completed 50 percent of his throws. The defense is playing decent. Still, this appears to be a good chance for the Jayhawks to get a win as the Bulldogs lost a home game to Tulane.

West Virginia (2-1) vs. Maryland (3-0)

2:30 p.m. Ravens Stadium, Baltimore (ESPNU)

The skinny: This is the 48th renewal of this border war. The Mountaineers lead the series, 26-21. The QB du jour for Dana Holgorsen appears to be freshman Ford Childress who did well over outmanned Georgia State. Maryland's 3-0 is the best start under coach Randy Edsall. Terps QB C.J. Brown has thrown only one interception in his first three games.

UL-Monroe (2-1) at No. 20/20 Baylor (2-0)

3:00 p.m. Floyd Casey Stadium, Waco (FS1)

The skinny: This is the Bears' only game in a 27-day span. A scheduling quirk caused this when SMU asked out of the 2013 meeting in Dallas. Baylor's defense has had a respectable start allowing only 16 points registering eight sacks.

Texas State (2-0) at No. 25 Texas Tech (3-0, 1-0)

6:00 p.m. AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock (FSN)

The skinny: The Red Raiders struggled offensively last week against TCU but still found a way to pull out a 20-10 win and climb into the national rankings. Under Dennis Franchione, the Bobcats are off to a solid start including a nice win at Southern Miss to start the season. Tech won the 2012 meeting, 58-10.

Kansas State (2-1) at Texas (1-2)

7:00 p.m., Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, Austin (ABC)

The skinny: The Big 12 opener for both teams. This is pretty much a statement game for the Longhorns to show they can make something of their season. Mack Brown has talked about this club winning the Big 12. The one problem is this team stinks at stopping the run. Expects KSU sophomore QB Daniel Sams to be a factor in this ballgame. Texas QB David Ash (concussion) practiced this week and should play.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU and Iowa State have byes

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where. These rankings are before the TCU-Texas Tech game.

1. Baylor - After what I wrote Wednesday, where else would I put them?
2. Oklahoma State - Freshmen WRs are making an impact with the passing game
3. Oklahoma - Sooners off until the Sept. 28 trip to Notre Dame

4. Texas Tech - Can't argue with what Kliff Kingsbury has done so far
5. Kansas State - Wildcats leave Manhattan, KS for the first time this year
6. West Virginia - Houston transfer RB Charles Sims rushing for nearly 100 ypg

7. TCU - In search of an offensive identity

8. Texas - It takes too long to list their problems
9. Kansas - Hard to know who is worse, Iowa State or Kansas

10. Iowa State - Hard to know who is worse, Iowa State or Kansas

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the notebook

>Wyle LB T'Kevian Rockwell (high ankle sprain) went through practices this week. While the work was limited, there is some hope he could return when the Pirates play Frisco Lovejoy next Friday.

>Texarkana Liberty-Eylau athlete Davion Hall (ankle sprain) is not expected to play Friday against Celina, coach Brian Brown said.

>Wisconsin 2014 PG Riley LaChance switched his official visit this weekend from Baylor to Minnesota. And it doesn't look like there's a chance he will re-schedule. "We just told the Baylor coaching staff we wanted to stay closer to home,'' LaChance's dad Tom said.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News