ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Sept., 13, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

President's address

He will never play a college game at Floyd Casey Stadium but Baylor's first 2015 commit, Temple quarterback Chad President, hopes to make the most of his only likely opportunity Friday.

Temple (1-1) plays perennial power Southlake Carroll (1-1) at 7:30 p.m. in "The Case". There's always a chance if Temple makes the playoffs, it could play a game at FCS. But you get the point.

"It's going to be a big game, but I'm trying to not let the hype get to me,'' President said. "I'm pretty fired up about playing in Floyd Casey. It will be my last game at Baylor, and I'm not even at Baylor yet. We will put up a fight.''

Carroll was hammered by No. 1 Allen two weeks ago, 49-27, but responded with a 63-14 rout of Midland Lee last week. Temple has been involved in two shootouts, beating Round Rock, 48-42, and losing to Austin Westlake, 45-41. Temple's offense is averaging 604 yards of total offense per game.

President is off to a solid start completing 65 percent of his passes for 593 yards with four touchdowns and two interceptions. The dual threat has also rushed for 247 yards and three touchdowns. But you won't find a tougher critic on his performance than him.

"I've done some good things but there are some things I need to work on,'' he said. "In the game, sometimes I get lazy and not carry out my fake and get lazy with my feet. Just have to work on being in tune at all times. Everybody makes mistakes. I just have to limit how many I make.''

Carroll's defense should pose a greater challenge than either Round Rock or Westlake. While the Dragons are inexperienced at safety, their front seven is arguably one of the best to come through the program. They are led by linebacker Steven Bergmark.

"They look good on film but so do we,'' President said. "It just will come down to how well we execute.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Hendrix now looking at Baylor

For the last several months, Dallas Bishop Dunne safety Payton Hendrix collected his share of quality offers. But he lacked Baylor.

What Baylor liked from afar needed to be validated in person. But summer conflicts prevented him attending a summer camp. While the John Bonney commitment to Texas possibly accelerated last week's offer, it didn't change the fact Baylor still needs a safety in its 2014 class.

"I know that coach [Jim] Gush wanted him the first time he saw him,'' Bishop Dunne coach Michael Johnson said. "They had film from him from last year and have it on our web site, so they know he has the physicality to play the strong and speed to play the free.

"What they wanted was to see him run and move in camp so [defensive coordinator] Phil Bennett could watch him. Just every time they wanted him to come down, he couldn't get down there. But I do know he likes Baylor and is very interested in them.''

It's too early to know when a visit will be scheduled but Johnson feels confident that it will happen at some time soon. Hendrix (6-3, 195) has blossomed into a bona fide prospect as he has collected 16 tackles and three pass breakups through the first two games against Fort Worth Eastern Hills and Dallas Prime Prep Academy. Dunne faces a tougher challenge Friday against Dallas Lincoln.

Hendrix was timed in the 40 at 4.54 over the summer and likely will run track in the spring. But Johnson notes how well Hendrix can close down skill players.

"When I talked to coach Gush last week, he just said he thought Payton could fit into their scheme,'' Johnson said. "Everybody I talk to about Payton sees him at free safety, but don't be surprised if he could wind up being an outside linebacker.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor regrouping -- again
The last 7-10 days have been rough for Baylor recruiting when it comes to the safety position. First, John Bonney committed to Texas. Then came the bombshell that 2014 commit Cordell Dorsey had been arrested for aggravated sexual assault. One source didn't comment on what Baylor would do, but given the severity of the charge, it's highly unlikely he'll play football anytime soon. We no longer list him as a commitment.

So Baylor might be on the lookout for two safeties instead of one. As Kevin pointed out, Baylor got in the mix for Bishop Dunne's Payton Hendrix. ATH Corey Avery, meanwhile, has visited Baylor before, but he probably fits better at corner or running back.

There's another new offer out that had only been recently reported. Turns out the offer to New Orleans Walker S Anthony Milton came months ago.

"They offered me and another DB, Travonne Hobbs," Milton said, referring to his teammate. Hobbs doesn't have an offer in the database, something I'm going to verify this weekend. "It happened this summer. They came out to our school and offered us."

If Baylor did offer Hobbs, it gives Baylor a leg up on the competition.

"We always talk about playing at the same school," Milton said. "I feel like if I really fit with a school, it doesn't have to happen. But I would love for it to happen."

Right now, Milton said Mississippi State and Oregon State are his two favorites, but he definitely plans to take five official visits. Recruited as a free safety, Milton said Baylor might get one of them.

Meanwhile, uncommitted guys like Hebron's Jamal Adams, Steven Parker from Jenks (OK), and Martrell McGraw of River Ridge (La.) are longshots at this point. Baylor could then look to the JUCO recruits, the most likely of the bunch being Gulf Coast's Josh Keys.

"I actually talked to Baylor yesterday," Keys told me Thursday night. "It went well. They just wanted to check in."

Keys said he needs to sit down with his family and talk about picking a top 5 and places to visit (Arkansas will host him Sept. 28). He needs to do it soon since he plans to graduate in December. I'll be in touch with Keys over the next month to see if Baylor makes the cut. Since Baylor offered, by the way, interest has soared. Baylor will have a lot of competition for him.

Of course, the BU staff could target recruits currently committed elsewhere. Bonney could be an option with the current chaos in Austin right now. Same with South Grand Prairie's Jason Hall, who's already flipped from Nebraska to Texas.

Finally, Baylor evaluated quite a few players that have yet to receive an offer. Alief Taylor's Josh Kalu has been to Waco in the past and has a nice list of offers. Sherman's Trey Mask came to Baylor for junior days, but he's probably a longshot at this point.

We're monitoring this position very closely.
-Jake Shaw

On Nick Watkins

Dallas Bishop Dunne coach Michael Johnson hasn't spoken Nick Watkins about his top five or anything else but believes Baylor remains very much in the mix.

"I think the last time Nick talked to Baylor was like either late July or early August,'' Johnson said. "He just wants to work hard and play at a high level his senior year. He's definitely interested in Baylor.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Watch this 2015 athlete

We mentioned that Aledo has a game-changer in 2015 athlete Ryan Newsome. He's about 5-9 and weighs about 175, but he's pretty fast.

Coach Tim Buchanan has said the Hurst L.D. Bell transfer had a good round of summer camps and was timed in the 4.4s. Buchanan believes it's a raw high 4.4. But let's put his speed this way. He ran at the Class 4A state track & field meet in the 100 meter dash and finished with a 10.83. KD Cannon was in the same event and ran a 10.86.

While he doesn't have any offers yet, I could see where Baylor may want to look at him because he's one of those guys who has special speed. It's just a question of whenever the coaching staff will get film to evaluate to make that call.

Newsome can play anywhere. Aledo is using him at wide receiver, running back and quarterback. Last week against Stephenville, he caught two passes for 50 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

"I'm just willing to go wherever anyone wants me to go,'' Newsome said. "I'm not a selfish guy. I think I can bring a lot to the table. But I hope what I'm doing will help my stock go up.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central.

Tulsa (1-1) at No. 14/13 Oklahoma (2-0)

11:00 a.m. Owen Field, Norman, OK (ESPN2)

The skinny: With no Trevor Knight, the Sooners turn the offense over to senior Blake Bell. Had it not been for a bruised knee, there could have been a quarterback rotation. Oklahoma's running game has enjoyed a positive start averaging 310.5 yards in the first two games.

Georgia State (0-2) at West Virginia (1-1)

11:00 a.m. Milan-Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, W VA (Moutaineer Vision)

The skinny: This the first meeting between the two schools. Georgia is one of the new Division I schools and just moved into the Sun Belt. With Paul Millard not playing well, the quarterback situation appears to be wide open.

Iowa (1-1) at Iowa State (0-1)

5:00 p.m. Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: This is the 61st meeting of this in-state rivalry and for the trophy known as the Cy Hawk. Iowa fans are upset because coach Kirk Ferentz is the highest paid employee in the state and has produced some poor teams in recent years. The Cyclones won last year's meeting in Iowa City.

Massachusetts (0-2) at Kansas State (1-1)

6:00 p.m. Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KS. (K-StateHD.TV)

The skinny: UMass has moved into the Mid-American Conference this year but taking some blows as a first year D1 program. This is a guarantee game, but the Wildcats need to continue to find consistency. Snyder wasn't happy about the 21-point third quarter Louisiana-Lafayette pulled off last week.

Kansas (1-0) at Rice (0-1)

6:30 p.m. Rice Stadium, Houston (CBS Sports Network)

The skinny: The Jayhawks have lost 22 consecutive road games dating back to 2009. Last year, they blew a late lead to the Owls and lost on a field goal. Quarterback Jake Heaps was pretty blah in his debut throwing for 110 yards. His play needs to be better. The Owls aren't afraid of anyone after putting 31 on Texas A&M.

Lamar (1-1) at No. 12/11 Oklahoma State (2-0)

6:30 p.m. Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK (Fox Sports Southwest)

The skinny: Amid the Sports Illustrated series about recruiting violations, the Cowboys finally open their home season against the FCS school Cardinals. The flexibility of the offense is being shown. After letting the running game do the work against Mississippi State, the passing game was the story for more than 500 yards at UT-San Antonio.

No. 25/25 Ole Miss (2-0) at Texas (1-1)

7:00 p.m. Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium, Austin (LHN)

The skinny: A very tense week in Austin with Greg Robinson replacing Manny Diaz at defensive coordinator following BYU rushing for a Texas opponent's record 550 yards. The Rebels will see what they can do. Texas may or may not be with QB David Ash after he suffered some injuries.

Texas Tech (3-0, 1-0) 20, No. 24 TCU (1-2, 0-1) 10 F

The Red Raiders scored 10 points in the second half to break a 10-10 tie and beat the Horned Frogs in the Big 12 opener for both teams. Tech QB Davis Webb came off the bench for an injured Baker Mayfield and threw a 19-yard TD pass to Bradley Marquez to break the tie. Tech overcame three interceptions. TCU's offense was stagnant for most of the night. Starting quarterback Trevone Boykin threw for 193 yards but threw two interceptions. The teams combined for 204 penalty yards.

Baylor
has a bye

-SicEmSports

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where. These rankings are before the TCU-Texas Tech game.

1. Oklahoma State - Might be the most balanced team in the Big 12
2. Baylor - Bye week comes at a good time for nagging injuries to heal
3. Oklahoma - The Bell Dozer makes his first start Saturday

4. TCU - This locker room responds to Trevone Boykin as the starter
5. Texas Tech - Red Raiders have the most first downs in the Big 12 (66)
6. Texas - Mack Brown now coaching for his job

7. Kansas State - A two QB system appears to be the new approach

8. West Virginia - Another Big 12 school with QB issues
9. Kansas - Looking to end road futility

10. Iowa State - Offensive line has gone through some shuffling

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the notebook

>Las Vegas Bishop Gorman quarterback Randall Cunningham said he spoke with the Baylor coaching staff earlier in the week and said the conversations remain positive. While an official visit date hasn't been set, he said he still plans on returning to Waco.

>Texarkana Liberty-Eylau coach Brian Brown said Davion Hall is not expected to play in Friday's game against Texas High. Hall suffered an ankle sprain last week against Mount Pleasant.

>Troup 2015 athlete Blake Lynch, who has called Baylor his No. 1 school, received an offer from Nebraska and has since added one from Clemson.

>Longview DT Zaycoven Henderson tweeted on Thursday his top six in no order: Baylor, TCU, Texas, Ole Miss, Florida and South Carolina.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News