ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Oct. 10, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: Big basketball weekend

Baylor is expected to have a impactful basketball recruiting visit this weekend. For starters, 3-star guard Jake Lindsey from Salt Lake Olympus is taking his official visit. A report broke late Thursday that Cordova, TN 5-star center 2015 Skal Labissiere, the No. 4 player in the Rivals 2015 150 will take his official visit this weekend.

Prime Prep 2016 commit Mark Vital and his family are also expected to arrive as well. Plus, 2015 guard commit King McClure is also expected to arrive. Lindsey and McClure -- who took his official visit over Labor Day weekend -- are expected to sign the national letters of intent on Nov. 12 along with JUCO center commit Joseph Acuil.

"Actually, I'm getting excited about coming down and getting to know the guys and see the atmosphere,'' Lindsey said. "I was on my unofficial between the summer and fall so nobody was on campus.''

Since Baylor started workouts on Oct. 3, recruits can see them go through organized workouts. Lindsey (6-5) said he's talked at length with the Bears coaching staff about what the expectations will be. He's concentrating on his pull up jumper off the dribble. He's also doing things to help his foot speed.

"I've always been fairly quick, but everybody used to look at me as a wing who could get to the rim,'' Lindsey said. "But I've learned to make adjustments and understand that magnitude of what I'm about to do.''

Lindsey will be coming with his mother and his brother. His father Dennis, a former Baylor star back in 1980s, cannot attend this weekend because of another matter.

For Labassiere, he has already taken official visits to North Carolina, Kentucky, Georgetown and Tennessee. There is no known timetable for his decision. But credit Baylor for staying in this race and securing the last official visit.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor-TCU visitors

Just wanted to have this list in the Blitz for the sake of record keeping since we archive the Blitz. We did not add those who were not coming for obvious reasons.

Those who said they are coming

Dominic Desousa, OL, City College of San Francisco (2015; Baylor offer -- official visit)
Eno Benjamin, RB, Wylie East (2017 -Baylor interest)
Tony Nicholson, SGP, SGP (2015 - Baylor commit)
Parrish Cobb, DB, Waco La Vega (2016 -- Baylor interest)
Eric Cuffee, DB, Waco (2016 - Baylor interest)
Obi Eboh, S, SL Carroll (2016 - Baylor interest)
Chad President, QB, Temple (2015 - Baylor commit)
Blake Lynch, Ath, Gilmer (2015 - Baylor commit)
Zach Smith, QB, Grandview (2016 - Baylor commit)
Josh Drayden, DB, Dallas Bishop Dunne (2016 -- Baylor interest)
Clay Johnston, LB, Abilene Wylie (2015 -- Baylor commit)
Deonte Williams, LB, Plano Prestonwood (2016 -- Baylor offer)
Jaylon Jones, DB, Allen (2016 -- Baylor offer)
Sam Tecklenburg, TE/OL, Plano (2015 -- Baylor commit)
JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview (2015 -- Baylor commit)
Jameson Houston, RB, Austin St. Michael's (2015 -- Baylor commit)
Keshawn Somerville, DB, Plugerville Hendrickson (2016 -- Baylor commit)
Drew Galitz, P/PK, Rowlett (2015 -- Baylor commit)
Devontre Stricklin, WR, Waco Midway (2015 -- Baylor commit)
Lenoy Jones, LB, Waco Midway (2015 -- Baylor interest/Houston commit)
Baron Browning, LB, Kennedale (2017 -- Baylor offer)
Jeffrey Okudah, Ath/DB, South Grand Prairie (2017-Baylor interest)

The maybes
D'Eriq King, Ath, Manvel (2016 -- Baylor offer)
Montrel Wilson, S, Keller Fossil Ridge (2015 - Baylor commit)
Patrick Hudson, OL, Silsbee (2016 - Baylor commit)
Jaylon Jackson, Ath, Cedar Hill (2017 -- Baylor interest)

Jaelan Austin, WR, South Grand Prairie (2015-Baylor offer/TCU commit)

Note I: We'll see what this potential Jaelan Austin visit is all about. Baylor is likely taking one WR. Austin is committed to TCU so either there is interest between the two sides or Austin wants to see TCU play.

Note II: Cobb was scheduled to send his films to the Baylor coaching staff this week for their review. Remember, Cobb was coming off a hamstring injury in 2013.

Lynch: Baylor wants met at WR

Gilmer athlete and Rivals No. 194 prospect Blake Lynch embraced the overwhelming but joyful news that he was invited to the U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Thursday. He said the honor caught him by surprise.

"The invite only validated what I've been able to do,'' Lynch said. "I'm excited to play against the best prospects in the country.''

It will be a busy January for Lynch. He will play in the game on Jan. 3 and then report to Baylor for the second semester around Jan. 10. The spring semester begins on Jan. 12.

And for now, it looks like he'll be playing wide receiver. That's based on a recent conversation he had with Baylor head coach Art Briles.

"[Art Briles] just told me that they'd like me there because I would be a big target and I can use my athleticism,'' Lynch said. "I love the Baylor coaching staff. I could tell when I watched them in the spring and summer they weren't satisfied with anything. They won the Big 12 championship and went back to work.''

You can check out Lynch's numbers in the current Player Performance Chart that is pushpinned. He's playing wide receiver for the first time in his career and moved to corner back during the season.

"I think my hands are pretty good at receiver,'' Lynch said. "But the route running has been a challenge. But it's all been pretty fun to move around because teams can't key on me.''

Baylor 2014 signees WR KD Cannon and Davion Hall were in this game this past January.

-Kevin Lonnquist

East Texas DT monitoring Baylor

Braylon Jones watched Baylor in person last week. And even though he was a guest of the other team, he couldn't help but notice Baylor's stout defensive line.

"They were nice -- that D-line, though, it was a great one," the 2016 John Tyler DT said.

The only problem, though, is that Baylor hasn't shown a ton of interest yet, while Texas, he said, sends him letters consistently. He has offers from Navy and Air Force right now, and aside from Texas, both Oregon and Arkansas have been in steady contact. Arkansas invited him to this weekend's game, but he can't make it.

Baylor's lack of attention hasn't scared him off at all.

"I would be very interested," Jones said. "I see them on the rise. I really like Art Briles. He's doing a great job and I know I'd like to play for him if the opportunity came up."

As the East Texas defensive newcomer of the year in 2013 as a sophomore, and with a strong start to his junior season (23 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 QBH), there's a chance Baylor will eventually make the call. And you can expect Jones to be waiting by his phone.

-Jake Shaw

LB watch

With Austin Westlake Breckyn Hager's switch from Baylor to Texas on Sept. 24, that created an opening.

In a piece on Sept. 25, one of the targets we speculated that could be in the mix is apparently now in the mix: Waco Midway's Lenoy Jones (5-11, 217). Jones, who is committed to Houston, is expected to attend Saturday's game against TCU. And Baylor has developed quite the pipeline to Midway as it already has secured the commitment of wide receiver Devontre Stricklin and still trying to land safety Kahlil Haughton. Baylor has not offered Jones, but he has been to the Baylor campus several times so the staff is quite familiar with him. Arkansas is very interested in him.

"He's been having a great season at inside backer and been a wrecking shop,'' one observer said. "Plus, his speed is getting better. He's probably running in the low 4.5s.''

Jones consistently is all over the field the Panther defense averaging double figures in tackles. He had 12 tackles two tackles for loss and two QB pressures against Killeen Harker Heights.

We'll keep you posted how this develops.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Browning mulling it over

Kennedale 2017 linebacker Baron Browning, who was offered at the Baylor satellite camp at Lake Highlands on June 6, plans to attend Baylor's game with TCU Saturday.

He had an interesting discussion with Baylor linebackers coach Jim Gush. It's clear that Baylor is making the push. Browning said he isn't planning on committing anytime soon. However, Baylor has gained favor because Browning decided to go to Waco instead of driving up to Fayetteville, AR to watch Arkansas take on Alabama.

"Baylor's love for me is really great, and I'm taking it all into consideration,'' Browning said. "But right now, I'm keeping all of my options open.''

Browning is nursing shoulder and ankle injuries. He said he's out for the season. Kennedale (5-0) is No. 4 in the state Class 4A poll.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Baylor - Bears have options despite losing DE Jamal Palmer (ACL)

2. TCU - QB Trevone Boykin's maturity has been one of the bigger stories in 2014

3. Oklahoma - Completing passes at 54 percent won't cut it for QB Trevor Knight

4. Kansas State - Program has committed only 20 penalties through the first five games

5. Oklahoma State - Jr. QB Daxx Garman is third in the Big 12 in passing yards (1,200)

6. West Virginia - A road win in Lubbock really could set up the rest of the season

7. Texas - Longhorns for second consecutive upset of the Sooners in Red River Rivalry

8. Texas Tech - In the past three games, 10 turnovers and 30 penalties

9. Iowa State - Sr. LB Jevohn Miller leads the Big 12 with 55 tackles

10. Kansas - Every position is open, interim coach Clint Bowen states

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. Kansas State has a bye.

Texas (2-3, 1-1) vs. No. 9/11 Oklahoma (4-1, 1-1)

11:00 a.m. Cotton Bowl, Dallas (ABC)

The skinny: The 109th meeting in Red River Showdown. Texas leads 60-43-5. Both teams are coming into this game off of losses. The Longhorns are struggling to find any semblance of offense. Texas has not scored more than 35 points in a game all season. Oklahoma needs a bounce back after the stunning 37-33 loss at TCU. But WR Sterling Shepard is having a big season with 30 receptions for 651 yards.

West Virginia (3-2, 1-1) at Texas Tech (2-3, 0-2)

11:00 a.m. AT&T Jones Stadium, Lubbock (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: A critical game for the Red Raiders who are on a three-game losing streak and have allowed at least 45 points in each game. QB Davis Webb is on thin ice throwing four interceptions at Kansas State last week. This is also a big road test for the Mountaineers who have earned high praise but need to find a way to win a game where it's considered a tossup.

Toledo (4-2, 2-0) at Iowa State (1-4, 0-2)

2:30 p.m. Jack Trice Stadium, Ames, IA (Cyclones TV)

The skinny: This is the third meeting between the Rockets and the Cyclones. QB Logan has come on in relief over the last four weeks and thrown for more than 1,000 yards. The Rockets' two losses have come against Missouri and Cincinnati - teams with better talent than the Cyclones. Iowa State struggles to score and must have big game from QB Sam Richardson and get its running game in going.

No. 9/13 TCU (4-0, 1-0) at No. 3/5 Baylor (5-0, 2-0)

2:30 p.m. McLane Stadium, Waco (ABC)

The skinny: This is the 110th meeting between these two teams with the series stunningly deadlocked, 51-51-7. Could this be a defensive battle? Baylor and TCU are Nos. 1 and 2 in total defense with Baylor at 267.2 and TCU at 279.2. They are also first and second in scoring defense with Baylor at 12.4 and TCU at 13.5. They are also Nos. 2 and 3 in turnover ratio. TCU is plus-5. Baylor is plus-4.

No. 16/18 Oklahoma State (4-1, 2-0) at Kansas (2-3, 0-2)

3:00 p.m. Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: The Cowboys begin a two-game road trip (next week they're at TCU). Mike Gundy is still not happy about where his running game and needs that to develop some consistency. Kansas' offense is in total disarray and there's not much hope that it's going to find a quality quarterback to guide it.
-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook - Baylor TCU numbers

>Baylor carries a 12-game home winning streak into Saturday's game. That's tied for second longest in the nation with Alabama and behind and Auburn and Northern Illinois who each are at 13.

>Baylor is 21-1 in Waco since 2011. The only loss? The 49-21 setback to TCU in 2012.

>TCU quarterback Trevone Boykin is 23-31 for 282 yards with five touchdowns and no interceptions against the Bears. He was 22-30 for 261 yards and four touchdowns in the win at Floyd Casey Stadium in 2012. He threw a 21-yard touchdown pass in his only attempt in the 2013 meeting.

>After catching 19 passes for 294 yards (9-136 2 TD at Buffalo on Sept. 13), junior wide receiver Jay Lee has not caught a pass in the last two games.

>Baylor head coach is 2-4 lifetime against TCU but 2-2 since he has been at Baylor. TCU coach Gary Patterson is 4-2 lifetime against Baylor.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News