ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: May 16, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: Rivals will soon be releasing its latest set of rankings next week. While it's unknown how the nine Baylor commits will be impacted between ratings and ranking, one thing that will be interested is if players will shift positions or not. The candidates would be Troup Ath Blake Lynch, Temple QB Chad President and Longview RB JaMycal Hasty.

Tolbert's place was secure

When the news broke about Fort Bend Ridge Point DB Jordan Tolbert tearing his right ACL, the concerns were running if Baylor was going to back off of the commitment.

That was never the case. In fact, we learned the Baylor coaching staff knew that Tolbert suffered the injury last week before he committed. Tolbert is expected to miss the 2014 season. In fact, there was never a major concern.

Plus, Baylor's history of sticking with players who have injuries is vast. The staff has stood with Temple QB Chad President since he tore his ACL last September ? President has since fully recovered ? and with Troup ath Blake Lynch who missed the last half of the 2014 season with a severe arm injury.

Tolbert suffered the injury as he was trying to make a tackle during a practice. He planted his right leg and tried to turn to move with the play. However, the leg didn't.

"[I was concerned] because I was going to be committing to them this weekend,'' Tolbert said.

That's partly the reason why Tolbert decided to commit a week early. Tolbert is scheduled to visit Waco this weekend. As it turned out, he had nothing to worry about.

-SicEmSports

Dyer taking his time

Mesquite Horn offensive lineman Conner Dyer (6-5, 275) is already in high demand. Already holding a Baylor offer among many, the Rivals No. 136 prospect just picked up Ole Miss and Tennessee this week.

But he still thinks back to the conversation he had with Baylor offensive line coach Randy Clements at the March 22 junior day.

"Everyone is just looking at me to play tackle but coach Clements talked about playing center,'' Dyer said. "I'm willing to try anything. It doesn't matter to me.''

Dyer plans on using the summer to visit as many schools as he can. After that, he wants to narrow the list of finalists to a reasonable number. The only caveat to the Baylor angle is that Dyer said he has not spoken to or seen anyone from the Baylor staff since late April.

Of course, Baylor has two offensive linemen in the 2015 class in Plano's Sam Tecklenburg and Navarro's Mo Porter. At this point, Baylor is probably looking at taking one or two more offensive linemen.

-Kevin Lonnquist

QB interested in Baylor

While Shreveport Calvary 2016 QB Shea Patterson has been committed to Arizona since December of 2012, that hasn't his stopped him from evaluating his options.

Patterson had no contact with Baylor until coach Randy Clements came over to Shreveport last week. Less than a week later, the dual-threat signal caller had a Baylor offer.

"[Clements] just told me he liked my film as he went over with the offensive coaches and that I would have a good feel of their offense,'' Patterson said. "I haven't been to Baylor but it's a great school academically and you see their atmosphere for games is great.''

Patterson ended up in Louisiana through his father's work. Originally from Toledo, the family moved to McAllen before a transfer moved them to Louisiana. At 6-2, 190, he's become pretty comfortable throwing from the pocket but isn't bashful tucking it in and running.

Baylor's offense is attracting quarterbacks outside of Texas. Look no further than Maryland's Kai Locksley.

Patterson has two summer chances with Baylor. He could attend the June 7 camp in Marshall or make arrangements to make the drive to Waco when it works.

"I'm open to anything,'' Patterson said. "It would be good to compare other schools to Arizona. It's a great opportunity. When I saw coach Clements, I felt like I had to have a good practice.''

Patterson led the Cavaliers to the 2013 Louisiana Division II state championship. The then-sophomore completed nearly 62 percent of his throws for 2,655 yards and 24 TD. He surrendered only four interceptions. He also rushed for 241 yards and 12 scores. But his career has been exceptional throwing for 4,478 yards and 54 TDs and rushing for 895 yards and 21 TDs.

"The big thing is being able to get out and extend plays,'' Patterson said. "I need to be accurate with the ball, but I trust my line to where I can move in the pocket, step up and make the throw I need to make.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Staff visits, offers McKinney North DE
The spring evaluation period has become just as much about scouting future recruits as it is prospects in the upcoming class. The Baylor staff has started to increase its offers to 2016 recruits -- juniors-to-be this fall -- and the latest is McKinney North DE Justin Madubuike.

"They came by during spring practice," the 6-3, 245-pound prospect said. "The next day they told my coach to call them, so they put me on the phone and they offered me a full ride."

That Madubuike had a good practice the day the staff came by was no coincidence.

"When I was told Baylor was going to be there I knew I had to show out," he said.

Madubuike hasn't been down to Baylor since he was an eight grader. Back then, he played on a youth football team that had a game at Floyd Casey Stadium. He knows of that former stadium's fate. "I heard they have a nice new stadium coming up," he said.

With offers from Baylor, Tulsa and Ole Miss -- and interest coming in from the state's top programs -- Madubuike said he's more focused on school and getting better as a football player than he is recruiting. But he's definitely a guy to keep on the radar. Baylor has only offered four 2016 defensive linemen, so it's obvious the staff thinks highly of him.

"I'm pretty blessed to have these offers," he said. "I'm thankful and working all the time with my teammates to help them get offers and be the best they can be."

-Jake Shaw

Campbell's road back

When the coaching change at Texas occurred, Corpus Christi Flour Bluff's Jalen Campbell soon found himself as a recruit without a commitment. He then had the double whammy where he missed the 2013 season with a torn left ACL.

Campbell committed to Texas under Mack Brown when he was a sophomore. When other schools visited the school, he told them no thanks. Even with the injury (he suffered it in the spring of 2013), he still had nothing to worry about.

By January, Brown was out, Charlie Strong was in, and Campbell had no prospects much less offers. That's why the 4-star defensive back's profile looks so unusual. It's only now that Campbell is trying to restore his athleticism and name within the Division I ranks.

Baylor assistant Brian Norwood visited Campbell last week and told Campbell he wants him to come to a July camp. There are no guarantees of an offer. Campbell knows that and is working his way toward proving coaches he can be the same dominating player he was in 2012.

"I got cleared Jan. 2 to go all out,'' he said. "I'm going to be starting at cornerback and wide receiver. I know I have a lot of work to show myself and teams that I haven't lost anything.''

Campbell went to Rivals camp series stops in DeSoto and Houston on March 8 & 9. He said the DeSoto camp didn't go well, but he said he fared better in Houston.

"I was just a step behind in [DeSoto],'' he said. "But in Houston I was better out of my break and getting on top of the rout. I've been doing everything. I'm cutting and running. It feels great.''

Campbell picked up a Texas State offer on Thursday but said his Top 5 are Baylor, Texas A&M, Oregon, TCU and Alabama in no order. He said Oregon, A&M and Alabama could be coming by next week.

Those workouts will be important but the summer camps he attends this summer could be very telling.

-Kevin Lonnquist

A little this and that

>Baylor may be poised to offer Fort Worth All Saints 2016 DT Michael Williams (6-2, 280) soon. RB coach Jeff Lebby made his second appearance of the week at a recent practice. Other Big 12 teams including Oklahoma State and Kansas State have offered the rising prospect.

>DB coach Carlton Buckels was at West Orange-Stark to not only continue to work on a time for soft Alabama DB commit Deionte Thompson (6-2, 174) to visit. However, he was also there to evaluate 2016 dual-threat QB Dillon Sterling-Cole. Sterling-Cole is considered a budding prospect but very raw. If he gets to a camp in June that will help as Baylor would be able to evaluate and work with him in person.

>Richardson Berkner DE Trevis Gipson (6-5, 200) has been invited to Baylor's camp at Lake Highlands on June 6. Hard to know where he stands as far as offers are concerned. Personally, a lot of things would have to break right for him to get one.

>Jake wrote earlier in the week about Port Arthur Memorial RB and Texas Tech commit Corey Dauphine looking at options. At this point, there seems to be a pretty good chance he'll camp in Waco.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Summer AAU hoops update

The EYBL continues its tour this weekend in Hampton, VA and plenty of Baylor 2015 and 2016 targets will be there.

Recent offer 2015 G Eric Davis of Saginaw, MI (AAU - The Family) will be there along with Houston 2016 G De'Aaroon Fox (AAU - Houston Hoops). Center Tyler Davis and Baylor commit King McClure from (AAU - Texas Titans) will also play. Baylor is still watching guard MaCio Teague from All Ohio Red.

One player to keep an eye on is 2017 6-6 F Hamier Wright should he be playing in this tournament. Michigan State, Cincinnati, Texas and SMU are among his early offers. We'll see how soon Baylor wants to move on him.

Meanwhile the UA Invitational is being held Friday-Sunday in The Woodlands.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baseball: vs. TCU

The Bears seem to be getting hot at the right time. In Thursday's 6-3 victory over No. 13 TCU, the Bears (24-27, 8-13 in Big 12) used a 3-run second and 3-run fourth. Aaron Dodson belted a 3-run home run. Closer Josh Michalec earned his 20th save of the season, tying the Big 12 single-season record set by Oklahoma State's Jeff Bajenaru in 2000.

TCU (36-15, 15-7) is fighting for the Big 12 championship with Oklahoma State. Friday's and Saturday's games at Baylor Ballpark are 6:30 p.m. starts.

On Friday, Baylor is scheduled to start left-hander Daniel Castano (5-3, 3.63 ER). It was unclear who would start Saturday's regular season finale.

Don't forget Jason Jennings will have his number retired before Saturday's game. The ceremony will start at 6:00 p.m. Jennings will also throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>I know this note should be in this and that, but I wanted to put something in this weekly segment. Should Baltimore and 4-star QB Kai Locksley come to Texas this summer, we're hearing sometime in July. This is all subject to change.

>For those wondering about the social media surge regarding Baylor seeking another year of eligibility for G Brady Heslip, we can tell you that he has signed with an agent. Look for him to play overseas.

>The NBA draft combine is going on in Chicago this weekend. Baylor's Isaiah Austin and Cory Jefferson weighed in at 219.5 and 218.4 pounds respectively. NBA Draft Room projects each to be mid-second round picks. The site has Austin projected to go No. 45 to Atlanta and Jefferson to go No. 52 to Dallas. The draft is being held on June 26.

>While there really hasn't been much contact between Baylor and Fort Bend Marshall DB Kendall Sheffield, the Rivals No. 27 prospect said he is still considering the Bears.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News