ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Jan. 15, 2021

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper I

Baylor head coach Dave Aranda and new Offensive Coordinator Jeff Grimes will be meeting with the media at 12:45 pm Friday in a zoom call. Unfortunately, that’s when your publisher is going to be in the middle of getting ready for Aledo’s Class 5A Division II state championship game.

However, Stephen will be able to turn around the video of it when it’s sent and post it sometime Friday evening.

The Topper II
Since this is Texas 5A and 6A state championship weekend, there are some notable Baylor offers playing this weekend. On Saturday, the Class 6A Division II title game between Katy and Cedar Hill features Cedar Hill 2022 RB Chris Hicks, Katy 2022 DE and Rivals No. 92 Malick Sylla and LB Ty Kana.

The Class 6A Division I game between Austin Westlake and Southlake Carroll has a great subplot where father coaches against son. Father Todd Dodge is the head coach at Westlake. He squares off against his son Riley, who is the head coach at Carroll. It is believed that this is the first time this has ever happened.

Baylor has offered Westlake QB and 4-star standout Cade Klubnik.

Stay tuned is now
As he talked with the Baylor coaching staff, Aledo 2022 tight end Jason Llewelyn kept hearing the same message from them regarding a potential offer.

“They’ve been great and just telling to me to stay tuned once the coaching changes were made,’’ Llewelyn said. “I’ve sent them my highlights after every game. They said a lot of good things. They were complimentary of how I’ve been played. It’s just been awesome.”
Once offensive coordinator Jeff Grimes got settled and reviewed Llewelyn, he agreed. The Bears offered. And now, this is just the beginning of what could be an intense recruiting season. Texas Tech soon followed. Those offers added to what had been a building list started by Michigan State and Yale.

Llewelyn’s athleticism and hands are two of the skills that make him attractive. One college scout called him the best 2022 tight end in the state if not the country.

As Aledo (12-1) contends for its 10th Texas State Championship (the Bearcats already have the state record for most titles with nine) against Crosby in the Class 5A Division II state game at 1:00 p.m. Friday at AT&T Stadium, Llewelyn quietly emerged as this offense’s No. 2 receiver.

He has 430 yards, five TDs, averages 16.5 yards per reception and then returned an onside kickoff 50 yards for a score last week in the semifinal against Wichita Falls Rider. Some of those catches are with one hand, something he has knack for doing.

“We practice every day. I make some one-handed catches almost daily at practice,’’ he said. “It’s just repetition. It’s the same plays you run every day.”

One of those was also against Rider where he caught a pass one-handed as the Rider safety and linebacker were closing in on him. It was an important reception because it converted a third down for Aledo inside the Rider Red Zone to where the Bearcats eventually scored.

“When I was released and running my route, the safety and linebacker looked like they were head hunting me,’’ he said. “I cut it short so I could sit in that little pocket to get the completion and get yards.”

Llewelyn was like a lot of athletes during the spring where they didn’t have a true offseason. That meant weight room activity was cut down drastically. He had to improvise.

But the one thing he’s done during the season is become a better blocker. That’s something he said he had to work on.

“I think I’ve gotten better on and off the ball blocking,’’ he said.

In his first discussion with Grimes, he liked how Grimes described how tight ends would be used in Baylor’s offense. Grimes will handle TEs.

“They’re going to have an explosive, very high powered offense,’’ Llewellyn said. “[Grimes] loves the tight end. He’s going to use him a lot. Get more tight ends all over the field and create mismatches on the outside.’’

When his offseason begins later this month, the key is to become stronger and faster. Then that will be a matter of where the recruiting takes him. His relationship with Baylor is off to a good start.

“They didn’t have the season they wanted [in 2020]. I think they’re going to flip the program around. Building relationships is key. You just have to set aside football and get to know them, their history and background and stuff.

“At the end of the day, when football is all said and done, you have to go to the right place get a degree to take you past football. Finding the right place and home is key for me.’’

Bonus Cut
When yours truly had a chance to call Aledo this year, I did their game at Cleburne the day after Thanksgiving. This is my call of a Llewelyn touchdown reception late in the first half when Aledo was in its two-minute offense.

Enjoy!
Llewellyn TD

Llewellyn Highlights

I mentioned the plays he made against Rider. Now, you can see for yourself.

Baton Rouge DE surging
Madison Prep 3-star defensive end Quency Wiggins just completed his first year to play organized football. It’s fair to say that he took to the game naturally.

Now, Division I programs are taking to him. Baylor recently offered the 2022 3-star prospect who was the defensive player of the game in Madison Prep’s state championship win last month.

Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi State are among the others who have offered him.

“I’m talking to [defensive line coach Dennis Johnson and defensive coordinator Ron Roberts], Wiggins said. “They didn’t get into anything really specific with me about my game. But they said they like my size and my work ethic.’’

Baylor and Kansas State are the only Big 12 teams to offer. This is just a ramp up time for Wiggins to get to know what Baylor is all about. There is some time for this relationship to grow.

“From what I’ve seen they play tough defense,’’ he said. “Right now, I love Baylor. I just need to find out more.’’

On the watch list
As Baylor’s staff continues to scour the portal for offensive line possibilities, it may not be a sure bet that it will go too hard into the JUCO.

Time will tell how hard this staff will push for the likes of Butler (KS) County Community College’s Jeremiah Crawford. Remember, he started his relationship with former Baylor offensive line coach Joe Wickline. With the change to BYU’s Eric Mateos it could be situation where everything is starting all over again.

And also keep in mind that Crawford is not expected to arrive at his destination of choice until the summer. He is a May graduate. In Baylor’s position where it needs some experience with the OL, waiting until the summer for that kind of help may not be ideal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News