ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Feb. 27, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

By KEVIN LONNQUIST

Publisher

The topper

Baylor resumes the 2015 spring football season with its third practice on Friday. The Bears will also practice on Sunday.

The rest of the practice dates are as follows: March 3, March 16, March 18, March 20 (Friday Night Lights Scrimmage at McLane Stadium), March 24, March 26, March 27, March 31 and April 2.

The near two-week gap between workouts is because of spring break.

OOC scheduling is never easy

Baylor's 2-for-1 non-conference schedule agreement with Louisiana Tech from 2020-2022 could have been a second option. We're told Baylor had a verbal agreement with a team from the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) until that team backed out. It's not clear who the opponent was. Baylor already has a home-and-home scheduled with Duke in 2017 and 2018.

As Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw has said on several occasions, Baylor has not been successful scheduling with other teams not because it hasn't tried. By adding Abilene Christian for 2018 (season opener) Baylor appears to have its non-conference schedule wrapped up through 2019. Besides Duke, there are other series against non-FCS teams in SMU, UT-San Antonio and Rice.

Louisiana Tech is the only secured non-conference schedule opponent beginning in 2020. Baylor is in the midst of discussions with other programs.

Baseball: No. 25 Baylor (6-2) at Cal-Stat Fullerton (2-5)

Friday (DH) 5:00 pm CST (Game 1); 9:00 pm CST (Game 2)

Saturday: 3:00 pm CST (Game 3)

RHP Drew Tolson (0-0, 2.53) and LHP Daniel Castano (0-0, 4.50) are going in the double header. RHP Ryan Smith (0-0, 0.00). The Bears and Titans meet again in the return series out in California. The series was condensed to two days because of threatening weather in California. Baylor took two of three from Fullerton last March at Baylor Ballpark. This is Baylor's first series away from Waco. The Bears are enjoying nearly the same kind of start that they had in 2014. That team began 5-2. However, there is some hope with offense. So far, Baylor has averaged 6.2 runs per game.

It's really early

On Tuesday, Baylor offered Niceville, Fl wide receiver Eli Stove. The Bears just became the latest to join the offer parade as they were the 28th program to do so. Baylor offensive coordinator Kendal Briles extended the offer.

It's only now that the Stove family is starting to do its homework on the Bears. But over time, the Rivals No. 28 rated player is going to go through the process diligently. His frame (6-1, 178, 4.51 40) just offers the package of playmaker. He had 719 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns in 2014.

Stove intends to announce a commitment sometime before his senior season but has not set a date in stone as of yet. He does, however, have a somewhat unique checklist he'll review when it comes time to choose a landing place.

"Not to be weird, but I like food," Stove said. "The food at that training table has to be good if I'm going to be eating it for four years straight. That, the coaches and the academics. That's what's important."

The apparent early leaders are LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. However, Stove's

father is serious about looking into what Baylor can provide.

"He says he's interested,'' his father said. "We don't attempt to go anywhere now unless me and my wife have talked to the head coach. There are too many schools that want you to visit and that's just not possible unless you show the parents you really want our kid.

"If Baylor does that and answers the questions correctly that we ask, then they too will be looked at for a visit. It's not just about football. You're recruiting a family into your program and school. Me and my wife want a degree in hand and a better young man in the world to complete what we started.''

-This report contains material from Rivals analyst Rob Cassidy.

Stephens keeping the hope

Baylor had success going into Plano High School for the 2014 class when it secured tight end Sam Tecklenburg. The Bears are potentially searching for a second running back for this class to team with Kameron Martin.

One option is Tecklenburg's teammate, running back Brandon Stephens (6-1, 200). Baylor hasn't offered him yet, but linebackers coach Jim Gush has been talking with Stephens since he was a sophomore. Stephens did not attend Baylor's junior day but was in Waco for Baylor's Nov. 1 Homecoming game against Kansas.

"There's really no rush about the offer, but I'm a little surprised I haven't gotten one,'' Stephens said. "I'm really hoping to get one. But whenever Gush is ready, that's fine. I really follow everything that Baylor does, especially with the running backs, of course. Their running game is really impressive.''

The 5.7 three-star prospect has eight offers including Texas, Ohio State and Wisconsin. He enjoyed a pretty solid 2014 season for the Wildcats as he rushed for 1,268 yards (6.5 ypc) and 21 touchdowns. Stephens considers himself comfortable with running between the A gaps or going to the perimeter. That kind of size he presents offers the full package. Time will tell what kind of receiver he is. Plano only had 70 completed passes for 2014. Stephens had seven of them.

"Coach Gush and I talk a couple of times a week and just talk about stuff that isn't football so I like that,'' Stephens said. "He always asks about my grades. I appreciate that too.''

Of course, Stephens has talked with Tecklenburg about Baylor and knows that Tecklenburg has raved about his experience with the staff. Still, Teckelenburg won't be the reason for Stephens to favor Baylor even should the Bears offer.

"Really, I'm just gathering a lot of information on everybody right now,'' Stephens said. "I just want to know everything I can about these schools. I'm trying to schedule a visit to Baylor and watch a practice. I know about the Friday Night Lights (March 20). But I plan to get down there.''

Madubuike still likes Baylor

Rivals No. 225 rated prospect Justin Madubuike continues to keep an open mind with Baylor. He said a busy schedule has kept from him taking a look of many schools on their campus. He wasn't at the junior day in Waco on Jan. 31.

But Baylor hasn't let the absence deter its pursuit. The coaching staff continues to talk with Madubuike regularly.

"I like Baylor because you can see what they're doing and trying to be a great program,'' he said. "I like the coaches a lot. But I'm taking my time. I'm not in any rush.''

It's probably a given that he will collect more offers. He already has 13. Baylor has company with Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Auburn and Texas A&M.

Maudbuike said he is thinking about traveling to Waco for the March 20 Friday Night Lights event at McLane Stadium. He is the No. 12 rated strong side defensive end and the No. 27 rated player in Texas.

The conversion has started

New Baylor wide receivers coach Tate Wallis is working through his list and is making some inroads at Bellaire high school.

One May evaluation candidate he possibly wants to track is linebacker Nathan Lewis (5-11, 220). But the Bears don't want to see him at linebacker. They want to see him at running back. Lewis has primarily played linebacker in his career and has also spent some time at running back.

Lewis is without an offer but has some interest from the Bears, Oklahoma and Kansas State. The Bears aren't the only ones who see him running back. Oklahoma does as well.

"I was really shocked when Baylor talked with me more about running back more than anything else,'' Lewis said. "I've been a linebacker pretty much through everything. But if running back is what it's going to take to get me college, then I'll do whatever it takes.''

In fact, that's probably the spring football mission for Lewis. He said the Bellaire coaches plan to work him at running back more once Bellaire begins work toward the 2015 season.

"They just need me to do a little more with the ball and see how I handle a lot of different situations,'' Lewis said. "I'm really spending a lot of time on the offseason working on my footwork and stamina.

"I think Baylor noticed my quickness when they saw my film. But I guess they like something about me in the backfield.''

Lewis played only seven games in 2014 because of a broken foot. He's not afraid of contact. Despite the shortened season, he had 85 tackles and 14 sacks and was a first-team all-district selection.

When he has played running back, he's been used in short yardage situations. He's the back that Bellaire turns to for three yards on third and two. Baylor wants to see how that looks in the next two months.

"I'm a downfield guy, so I'm comfortable with that,'' he said. "I want to execute everything I do.''

Recruiting in 25 words or less

>Navasota WR Tren'Davian Dickson, who de-committed from Baylor earlier in February, said he will still consider the Bears in his recruiting process.

>Euless Trinity defensive end Chris Daniels (Baylor offer) said he is nowhere close to naming either a Top 5 or Top 10.

>Hope (AR) defensive end McTelvin Agim said he will probably name a Top 5 or 6 whenever he announces finalists later this year.

>Katy running back Kyle Porter didn't make Baylor's junior day but hopes to attend Friday Night Lights. He still rates Baylor as a favorite.

>Porter's Katy teammate Collin Wilder is committed to Texas Tech. There is some interest in Baylor, but time will tell how this situation develops.

>Fort Bend Ridge Point offensive lineman Travis Bruffy plans to attend Baylor's Friday Night Lights event.

>Fort Bend Hightower LB Clifton Lewis still continues to visit with Baylor and plans on attending either a practice or Friday Night Lights.

Emptying the Notebook

>Baylor's men's basketball program is watching Keller 2017 guard R.J. Rembhard. He's a 6-3 guard who has a pretty good jump shot and is a slasher to the basket. Baylor hasn't offered but that seems to be a matter of time. He is No. 33 on the recently released Rivals 2017 150 list.

>We'll update you on visitors for Saturday's 3:00 p.m. game against West Virginia. Baylor had a really good turnout for the Texas game on Jan. 31.

>We will also check on Friday and Sunday for any potential visitors at practice. These situations are always fluid.

>Why will Taurean Prince win Big 12 sixth man of the year honors? He's been in double figures a team-high 22 times and has scored 20 or more five times.

>Baylor is 1 of 4 teams to lead by at least six points in every game this season - the others are No. 1 Kentucky, No. 3 Gonzaga and No. 9 Notre Dame. The Bears area also one of five Division I teams to hold all opponents under 75 points this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News