ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Feb. 25, 2022

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper

A reminder that ESPN’s College GameDay will be at Baylor’s Ferrell Center for its show on Saturday morning prior to when the No. 10 Bears meet No. 5 Kansas. The 1-hour show begins at 10 a.m. Baylor and Kansas tip off at 7:00 p.m. in a game the Bears must have to stay in the Big 12 regulars season title chase.

5-Star Green ready to check out Baylor
Baylor’s pursuit of fits for future offensive lines continues. It went north into the Greater Kansas City area with Lee Summit 2023 offensive tackle Cayden Green.

The Rivals 5-star, the No. 29 recruit in the nation, has a Top 5 that includes Baylor. That’ pretty impressive considering that he holds 32 offers including one from reigning national champion Georgia along with national semifinalist Michigan, USC, Texas A&M, LSU and of course, home state school Missouri.

“I am a big fan of them,’’ Green said. “[Offensive line Coach Eric] Mateos seems like a very cool genuine guy. He liked my frame and my finish.’’

The relationship with Baylor has reached a point to where he is planning on visiting the program at Spring Break. That will be March 26 when the Bears will be in spring practice.

While there is a heavy presence in Rivals FutureCast that Oklahoma is the favorite, Baylor’s value system appears to line up with Green’s. That could be the X-Factor when he closes in on making a decision.

“I like that they are Christian school because we are a Christian family,’’ Green said. “They stand for and promote a lot of the same things we do.’’

Green has been an anchor for his high school program ever since he joined the varsity as a freshman and has started. When you’re 6-5, 310, can move and have the kind of hand placement you need to be considered one of the nation’s elite recruits, it’s not hard to see how he has become the package.

“I am a good run blocker,’’ Green said. “One thing for this season I’m trying to work on for this season is my deep sets. Not opening up too early. My hand placement and being able to use independent hands and be able to use both while in my sets.’’

This trip to Baylor will be his first. But it’s a victory for the Bears in a sense because attracting someone of this caliber to visit and perhaps follow that with an official visit could be vital. However, he hinted that there’s a possibility that Baylor will get one of those in the summer.

“I’m not sure to be honest,’’ said Green when asked about what was going to be important for him to know about this visit. “I just want to be able to feel myself going there.’’

Rated the No. 3 offensive tackle in the country, Green is the No. 2 player in Missouri.

Hirschi RB Peterson talks Baylor
Wichita Falls Hirschi 2023 RB A’Marion Peterson earlier this week released a Top 5 – well it was a Top 6 but he left 6 blank – that included Baylor.

The Bears were included along with USC, Cincinnati, Texas Tech and Missouri. The 4-star ball carrier came to Baylor for its junior day back on Jan. 30 and came away with the answers he was looking for. Hence, his reasoning for placing Dave Aranda’s program among his finalists.

“They made my top list because they have a real vibe to them,’’ Peterson said. “They are serious about being good. I can tell they are player’s coaches. And they just cool people.

“They have a coach who handles things differently from most colleges. I’m a chill person so kinda makes sense to have them in my Top 5.’’

Peterson was pretty cool himself in 2021. He enjoyed a banner offensive season to help the Huskies reach the Class 4A Division I state semifinals. They went 12-3 before falling to eventual state champion Stephenville, 38-35.

For his part, Peterson amassed nearly 2,000 yards of total offense. He rushed for 1,817 yards along with 10 100-yard games, 28 touchdowns and 7.6 yards per carry. Then he showed his ability to be a pass catcher with 15 grabs for 181 yards and a couple of scores.

Of course, when he traveled to Baylor he was arriving when the energy from the banner 2021 season was subsiding. It’s hard not to be intrigued when the running back who just left – Abram Smith – set the single-season school rushing record.

“They just told me they like to run the ball and run the ball,’’ he said. “I’m a smooth runner and can lower my shoulders when I need to.’’

Rated the No. 13 running back in the nation, Peterson is the No. 55 player in Texas.

Nedore’s early take
Round Rock 4-star defensive tackle Ansel Nedore is a pretty serious player. Pretty serious about getting better. Pretty serious about maximizing the most out of his ability.

So when he went to check out Baylor’s game last November against Oklahoma, he saw a program that kind of matched up with his approach to the game.

“They are very well structured and real,’’ he said. “I would say things between me and them are good and pretty calm.’’

Nedore is one of the more physical defensive tackles in the 2023 class and has a 4-star rating to denote that. For now, everything points to him being in Texas somewhere. All of his offers – Baylor, TCU, SMU, Texas, UTSA, Houston, Texas Tech – are from the Lone Star State.

Back to the Oklahoma game. Of course, he saw an impressive performance in which the Bears shut down a very potent Sooner offense and realistically held it to seven points before an oh-by-the-way touchdown in the fourth quarter.

“When I seen them in game vs OU earlier this year, their energy and chemistry was really on display,’’ he said.

For his season with the Dragons, he was pretty productive with 57 total tackles (32 solo). While he only had one sack, he did know how to get his hands up in passing windows. He deflected four passes.

"I can say my game is electric,'' Nedore said. "This game is more physical than mental, and I bring that energy where it's needed and get in the opponent's head with it. It's a fun game.''

Nedore is just getting to know Baylor defensive line coach Dennis Johnson. It’s early.

“DJ is a great person from what I’ve seen from him,’’ Nedore said. “He’s real.”

Rated the No. 17 defensive tackle in the nation by Rivals, he is also the No. 61 player in Texas.

PFF identifies 2 Bears
With the NFL Combine starting on Tuesday at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Pro Football Focus recently released its top 150 prospects.

It named two Bears to the list, safety Jalen Pitre and linebacker Terrel Bernard.

Pitre is rated the No. 28 player. PFF’s take: Pitre was a massive reason for the Bears' defensive success in 2021. He led all defensive backs with 47 stops on the season while playing slot corner in Dave Aranda's defense. It projects Pitre to be selected either late in the first round or sometime in the second round.

Bernard is rated the No. 131 player in the country. PFF had no write up on him. However, it’s pretty clear NFL organizations want to know about his health between his shoulder and knee injuries over the past two years. His rise or fall could depend on how comfortable they are with those injuries.

Of course, the Bears are sending seven to the combine. Along with Pitre and Bernard, DB Kalon Barnes, RB Trestan Ebner, RB Abram Smith, WR Tyquan Thornton & S JT Woods are going.

BASEBALL: VS. No. 23 Duke
Fresh off a 6-2 victory over Houston Baptist on Tuesday, Baylor (1-3) is playing host to the Blue Devils (3-1 this weekend to wrap up the 7-game homestand to open the season.
Duke comes into the series after winning two of three in its season opening series against VMI and then a mid-week victory over Appalachian State.
The teams met twice in the 2010 season opening weekend. Baylor won both meetings.

PROBABLE STARTERS
*Friday, Feb. 25 • 3:00 p.m. CT • LHP Tyler Thomas (0-1, 3.00 ERA) vs. RHP Marcus Johnson
*Saturday, Feb. 26 • 3:00 p.m. CT • RHP Jake Jackson (0-1, 5.40 ERA) vs. LHP Luke Fox
*Sunday, Feb. 27 • 1:00 p.m. CT • TBD vs TBD

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.