ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Feb. 13, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

By KEVIN LONNQUIST

Publisher

The Topper: 2015 Baylor Baseball Preview

Baylor begins its 21st season under head coach Steve Smith Friday with hopes of belying the expectations. After winning the 2012 Big 12 regular season championship and coming within one out of making the College World series, the Bears have failed to make the postseason the last two years.

In fact, Baylor struggled to a 26-31 record and 8-15 record in Big 12 play in 2014. The Bears snuck into the Big 12 tournament before being eliminated by TCU. They were predicted to finish tied for seventh with the Kansas in the Big 12 preseason poll.

Whether or not Smith's status is in question will likely be determined on how well the Bears rebound this season. A winning record would be a start.

Baylor's pitching should be pretty solid. However, the challenge is going to be with the lineup. The projected nine for this weekend's season opening home series against No. 13 Cal Poly returns only seven home runs from 2014. Baylor hit only 17 long balls and hit .232 in 2014.

And this schedule is pretty daunting with 13 teams that made the 2014 NCAA tournament. Cal Poly and Cal State-Fullerton are ranked in several national polls. March 6-8 features the Houston Baseball Classic at Minute Maid Park where the Bears will face Hawaii (March 6), LSU (March 7) and Texas A&M (March 8).

Pitching: The rotation will be without left-hander Daniel Castano for potentially the opening series. He was suspended for at least two games for a violation of team rules. But should he reclaim his rotation spot, he'll have experience with 10 starts in 2014. Right-hander Drew Tolson had pretty good command with 11 walks in 54 innings but he has to hit his spots. Teams hit .313 against him. Junior right-hander Ryan Smith, who only made seven appearances in 2014, appears to get a chance to earn his place in the rotation. Finding a closer to replace Joe Michalec's 21 saves is going to be critical.

Lineup: This group is really young and Smith trusts that new faces can perform. There are real questions up the middle. Catcher Cameron Miller is a redshirt freshman who didn't play in 2014. Second baseman Steve McLean is a redshirt freshman who didn't play in 2014. Hill Junior College Justin Arrington is expected to make an impact at shortstop. Plus, senior center fielder Logan Brown has to bounce back from a season where he hit .218 in 2014. Jonathan Ducoff is a true freshman who will handle third base. The anchors of this offense are senior first baseman Dustin Wendell (.252, 16 RBI) and senior right fielder Adam Toth (.296 3 HR, 26 RBI). Toth should be hitting third.

Projection: I can see this team staying around .500 for the season. But with so many questions surrounding this lineup, it's going to be a real challenge for the Bears. The first nine games are at Baylor Ballpark so there's a chance to get off to a good start. But so many thing unexpected surprises are going to have to happen to not only make the Big 12 tournament but the NCAA tournament as well.

Baylor vs. Cal Poly (Baylor Ballpark)

Pitching matchups

Friday (6:30 p.m.): Baylor RHP Drew Tolson vs. Cal Poly RHP Casey Bloomquist

Saturday (3:00 p.m.): Baylor RHP Ryan Smith vs. Cal Poly RHP Slater Lee

Sunday (Noon): Baylor TBA vs. Cal Poly RHP Justin Calomeni

Allen's Jones in no hurry

There's no question that Jaylon Jones is in a position of strength. The Rivals No. 213 rated player has plenty of options holding offers from numerous Power 5 schools. The latest came from reigning national champion Ohio State. Of course, Baylor's offer to Jones was extended in January of 2014.

But unlike many other recruits, he's really not making his way toward any junior day visits. He's only been to TCU's on Jan. 31 and said he doesn't plan to take any others. And to be frank, he's not listing any favorites.

"Right now, I'm just enjoying the process,'' Jones said. "I'm starting to think about what schools I'm going to visit. I don't have any favorite. And I don't plan on committing any time soon. I pretty much like all of the schools the same right now.''

Every school is looking at Jones (6-0, 182) at safety. However, he said Ole Miss is talking to him about playing defensive back. Jones, who was the only returning starter coming into the 2014 season and led the Eagles to their third consecutive state championship.

"It really came down to me and a lot of film study so I could do a good job of filling in the gaps,'' he said. "Just the way we practiced just made me feel like I was ready.''

Given his stance, Baylor's chances stand as good as any program's chances at this point. It's a process that the Bears are willing to ride.

"Baylor came to see me twice in January so I know they are really interested,'' Jones said. "They have a great program. I hope to get down there and see them again.''

Basketball: Young talks Baylor offer

Trae Young's first trip to Baylor on Jan. 31 turned out to be memorable. Not only did he see the Bears rout rival Texas, 83-60, he also picked up an offer.

The Norman (OK) 2017 point guard (6-2, 170) has played his way into becoming one of the top guards of this class because he is both a facilitator and scorer. Young, whose father Rayford, who played for Texas Tech in the 1990s, is averaging 26 points, six assists and shooting a very healthy 42 percent from 3-point range. He models his game after Stephon Curry. So that's why Baylor is one of his first 10 offers and a 4-star prospect. When he becomes ranked next year, he's likely going to be among the top 50 players.

"It was such a great visit,'' Young said. "Just about all of the Baylor coaches were at my games last summer, and my Dad knows Grant McCasland very well. They have great support. The fans were crazy that night. I could see myself being a fit and playing in the system. [Scott] Drew does a good job with the team. ''

Young arrived the Friday before the Texas game and spent that evening and all day on Saturday touring the campus and getting to know everything Baylor offered. It's safe to say, he came away impressed.

Young has been pretty busy. Aside from the Baylor visit, he said he plans to watch SMU this weekend at home against Connecticut. He's also planning trips to Kansas and Texas.

His summer plans haven't been decided. He's deciding between MoKan Elite and Pro Skills out of Dallas. Last year, he played up in the 16s and flourished. Wherever he is playing, Baylor will be tracking him.

"I feel like I can run a team and lead them to wins by getting everybody involved,'' he said. "I want to be a leader. Passing is one of my strong suits.''

But he couldn't ask for a better mentor than his father. Of course, Lubbock is an influence. But dad has told his son that this is his decision on where he wants to play.

"I couldn't ask for a better mentor,'' Trae said. "He taught me everything I've done. He's a great teacher and is going to leave it up to me.''

Miller's stock rising

It's unknown when Keller 2016 defensive Houston Miller will collect a Baylor offer. But it is pretty clear that the Bears are interested in this prospect who really takes pride in his game, especially on special teams.

"I earned special team's player of the year in my district,'' Miller said. "That meant a lot to me because when I'm on the field, I'm going to do everything I can well. I have a responsibility to do my job.''

Miller (6-4, 232) attended Baylor's junior day. But his relationship with the coaching staff dates back to the end of his sophomore year. This was his second trip to the campus and there probably will be others. He already holds offers from Duke, Boston College, California, Texas State and Vanderbilt.

"What I got out of it was that it was a great atmosphere and loved every facility for athletics,'' Miller said. "I was truly impressed. I really care about my education. If I go to Baylor and graduate from there, my education is going to be well taken care of. They will take care of you academically.''

Miller's wingspan is one of his greatest assets as it's close to seven feet. He was also very active in the Indians' 3-4 alignment. He either played defensive end, nose tackle and outside linebacker. He came up with 85 tackles (54 solos) and was involved in creating three turnovers.

"Coach [Chris] Achuff said he could see me playing off the edge like Shawn Oakman,'' Miller said. "He thinks I could be a good rush end.

"I guess I have to hope that the offer comes sooner or later, but I'm comfortable with how things are doing. I just have to take it easy and let it play out.''

Natee has work to do

Euless Trinity quarterback Tyler Natee is a pretty bulky athlete at 6-0, 230. But he knows he needs to be a leaner.

"I've got to lose about 20 pounds of fat,'' Natee said with a laugh. "In this generation, a lot of guys are in great condition. I'm working really hard to get there.''

Natee, who has visited Baylor a couple of times, doesn't have a Division I offer, and it's like those looking around - like Baylor - want to see more. The May evaluation period is probably going to be pretty important for Natee's progress.

But Natee's future is going to be somewhere else. He said Baylor's early thinking is as a bruising running back. He has paid attention to how the Baylor coaching staff has used its running backs. Carries are distributed.

"I know [Jeff] Lebby can change my life,'' Natee said. "If it worked out that I went to Baylor, I know I wouldn't get banged up. I would be able to do good things for them.''

Admittedly, Natee didn't have much early exposure. He didn't attend any camps last summer. However, he plans on attending a Next Level and NFTC events later on in the spring. He also said he will go to at least one Baylor camp in June.

"I just didn't know much about the camps until the father of a friend told me about it,'' he said. "Now, I'm going to do a lot more this summer.''

Back in the Bayou

Who knows where this will go, but since Baylor just experienced success in Louisiana with the signing Shreveport Woodlawn's Henry Black, the Bears are creeping into LSU's backyard.

Baton Rouge University Laboratory School's Tre Jackson recently de-committed from Florida and has re-opened his recruitment. Baylor has made contact and started to get to know him.

"I just started talked to coach Gush and it's going pretty well,'' he said. "I'm a little familiar with Baylor. When my sister Diamond wanted to play basketball in college, we checked out Baylor, so I drove around the campus.''

Obviously, things have changed. Jackson decided to look at his options because he didn't feel like he really understood the process. He committed right after Florida offered in his freshman year.

Jackson (5-10, 170) has a penchant of making plays on the offensive end. He returned two of his six interceptions for touchdowns. One was where he jumped the route.

At this time, he's been invited to Baylor's Friday Nights Lights scrimmage on March 20. It's going to be a long drive from Louisiana. But he's seriously considering it.

"I'd like to see the new stadium,'' Jackson said. "It sounds like a great thing. I know that program is doing some great things.''

Emptying the Notebook

>To clear this up on Baylor cornerback Ryan Reid. He has been officially diagnosed with a hernia and may be available for the second half of spring football.

>Rivals staff will be reviewing the 2016 class next week and forming the new 100 and 250 lists. That will impact current Baylor commits, Silsbee offensive lineman Kameron Martin.

>Baylor junior power forward Rico Gathers has been named to the Naismith Trophy Men's Midseason 30. The award is presented by AT&T. His 303 rebounds are the most in college basketball. He's at 11.2 points and 12.6 rebounds per game. Gathers also leads the Big 12 with 13 double doubles. That ranks 13th nationally. We'll have a preview of Baylor's game Saturday at Kansas late Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News