ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Dec. 6, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

Baylor the underdog in both Cowboys Stadium matchups
It's not often basketball bluebloods circle Baylor on the calendar in the preseason. But Kentucky -- both the men and their women -- likely have been looking forward to tonight's matchups for months.

Not only did the Baylor men upset Kentucky last year, ending UK's 55-game winning streak at Rupp Arena, the Lady Bears absolutely destroyed the Kentucky women, ranked sixth nationally at the time, by 34 points. This year, both Kentucky teams are better than last year's versions, something that you probably can't say about Baylor (at least not yet).

While the roster has almost completely turned over for Kentucky, Baylor fans will recognize at least three of the starters. Scott Drew heavily recruited both the Harrison twins -- guards Aaron (13.8 ppg) and Andrew (10.4 ppg, 3.4 apg) -- as well as Julius Randle (18.1 ppg, 12.5 rpg). All three are from Texas.

Randle has arguably been the most impressive in a loaded national freshman class. It's a huge matchup for Baylor's Cory Jefferson, both in terms of Baylor's chances of winning, as well as Jefferson's draft stock. If he can hold his own against Randle -- or even come out on top in the matchup -- Baylor has a significantly better chance of winning, and the many NBA scouts in attendance will leave with a more favorable opinion of Jefferson.

This might be a night where Drew goes back to the zone defense. Even though the Bears have been more effective in man-to-man defense, Kentucky shoots just 31 percent from the 3-point line. Kentucky has only made 41 three-pointers, just 15 more than Brady Heslip has on his own. Baylor should try to force UK to win from the outside. It then must keep Kentucky, the fourth-best rebounding team in the nation, off the offensive glass.

By the eighth game of last season for the Baylor women, they were facing their third top 10 team. Playing Kentucky will be the first such matchup for Kim Mulkey's team this year, perhaps showing that she wanted to take it slower with a much less experienced team.

No. 5 Kentucky (8-0) is coming off a nice win over No. 4 Louisville, the team that (controversially) ended Baylor's season earlier this year. The Wildcats overcame a nine-point halftime deficit to win, 69-64, getting 16 points from senior forward DeNesha Stallworth. The key matchup, though, will be Kentucky's Jennifer O'Neill, one of four returning starters, matched up on Baylor PG Odyssey Sims. If O'Neill can slow Sims down, Baylor probably won't have a shot at winning.

Splitting this double-header would be considered a victory for Baylor. Win both, and the state of Kentucky will have even stronger feelings about Baylor.

MBB: No. 3 Kentucky (7-1) vs. No. 20 Baylor (7-1)
9 p.m. CDT Friday, ESPN

WBB: No. 5 Kentucky (8-0) vs. No. 9 Baylor (7-0)
6:30 p.m. CDT Friday, ESPN3.com
-Jake Shaw

Hill looking at the bigger picture

It's been about a month since I last caught up with Fort Scott (Kansas) DE Demetrius Hill, the three-star prospect who will visit Baylor this weekend. Since then, he said he's spoken with Baylor assistant coach Jim Gush "every week if not more." That includes a quick call on Tuesday night of this week, where Gush explained just how big this game is for Baylor.

Hill said the hype around the game isn't what matters to him most. He said some games will be big, others not as much. What he wants to learn most is just how Baylor is 365 days a year.

"I head there Friday, but I really don't know what the itinerary is," he said. "I just want to see where they stand depth-wise, see how I fit in there with the players, if the coaches treat me like family, could I see myself living in that city."

Even if blown away by Waco, Hill said there's "no chance" he will commit in person. He still has trip planned to Cal the following week and wants to weigh all his options. Still, this is Baylor's best shot to try to win him over. I'll catch up with him after the weekend to see how things went.
-Jake Shaw

Henderson to announce Monday

A four-star recruit at a need position: Needless to say, Baylor fans should be closely looking toward Longview, where DT Zaycoven Henderson will announce his commitment decision. A one-time TCU pledge who reopened his recruitment -- and actually ruled out Baylor in October -- Henderson has since put Baylor in his top three, joining Texas Tech and Texas.

But if Henderson has visited Baylor this season, nobody but the coaching staff and Henderson know about it. He took an official visit to Texas in mid-September and to Texas Tech at the beginning of November. Baylor has not gotten an official. If it's this weekend for the Texas game, nobody's saying. Henderson has shut his cell phone down to block all calls. He hasn't posted on Twitter in three weeks.

That leaves little evidence and mostly speculation when trying to figure out who the Longview product will pick. He's been reported as a Texas lean, but he didn't commit when he visited, and with the ever-changing status of Mack Brown, Henderson has to consider that the coach he commits to might not be there next year. Texas Tech is more stable at head coach, but like Texas, it couldn't secure his pledge when he was on campus.

If he looks at the current classes, he'd see Texas already has three DT commitments, while Baylor and Tech only have one apiece. Baylor, of course, has already beaten Tech, and a win over Texas Saturday would make Baylor 2-0 against the other teams in his top three.

But unless you're in his inner circle, it's impossible to make a strong judgement on where Henderson will land. One of the three programs will get a playmaker. Henderson missed the first five games of 2013 but still had 36 tackles, 13 TFLs, 2 sacks and a fumble returned for a TD. His coach, John King, called him a "throwback," a guy that gives total effort on every play.

Baylor might seem like the underdog because it didn't get an official visit, but really, it seems like all three teams have an equal shot. We'll find out for sure on Monday.

-Jake Shaw

Waiting to flip?

Apparently, all Fort Worth Dunbar DB Stepfawn Hughes needs is a call from Baylor and a why the coaching staff thinks he should flip his verbal commitment from Missouri and that might do it.

Baylor had been hot after Hughes during the summer but when the Tigers entered the picture that changed things. Hughes committed the SEC East Champs back in August.

But lately, it appears Hughes is getting that "staying close to home" sensation. Hughes said he's hoping that Baylor's offer to him is still good and hopes to be talking to the coaches in the near future.

Of course, the Bears are at 22 for their class - maybe 23 with Cordell Dorsey's potential arrival - but for sure 23 with Wesley Harris' arrival in January.

It's true the Bears would like to fill out the class with one or two more defensive players. They recently offered Pflugerville Hendrickson and Nebraska commit Chance Waz.

"I think Baylor would be right for me,'' Hughes said. "That's where I need to be.''

Well, we'll see how this develops if anywhere. But Baylor has to make the move. Coaches should be much more active recruiting starting next week.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Jonesin' to talk to Baylor

Ronald Jones II felt he had a lackluster sophomore year for McKinney North in 2012. He wasn't bad averaging 7.2 yards per carry and scoring nine touchdowns.

But he probably couldn't have foreseen what 2013 would bring. The 6-0, 180 pound 2015 all-purpose back made up for it big time rushing for an unheard of 2,406 yards and 39 touchdowns (9.9 ypc) as McKinney North had its best year in school history going 7-5 and playing in the Class 4A area playoff round.

"I felt like I was in the greatest shape of my life,'' he said. "My O line did an awesome job for me. I didn't go to any football camps last summer. I just did track with my team in Frisco and ran in the 4x100 and the 100 and 200.''

Few schools really knew of Jones last summer. But they know now as Texas Tech, TCU, Oregon State and Colorado State have offered. All of these offers have come in within the last four weeks.

Jones would like to hear from Baylor.

"I've watched Baylor a lot,'' he said. "I watch [Lache Seatrunk], and he's one of the best backs in college football. TCU and Tech said they like how run over people and want me to catch the ball.

"I've been watching Baylor since RG3's Heisman year. My father knew his uncle from Copperas Cove. I hope to hear from Baylor soon. They're a program that's done a lot in the last few years.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor-Texas visitors

With the weather potentially being an issue that could impact how many recruits will be able to attend Baylor's Floyd Casey Finale. For now, this is who SicEmSports has been told will attend Saturday's game against Texas.

>Ryan Newsome, Ath, Aledo (Baylor 2015 offer); If Aledo's game is moved to Saturday, then he's not coming.

>Jarrett Stidham, QB, Stephenville (Baylor 2015 offer)

>Ira Lewis, DL, Houston Lamar (Baylor 2014 commit)

>James Lockhart, DL, Ennis (Baylor 2015 offer)

>Terence Williams, RB, Ennis (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Verkedric Vaughns, DB, Mesquite Poteet (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Kendall Sheffield, DB, Fort Bend Marshall (Baylor 2015 offer) - His family really likes Baylor

>Demetrius Hill, DE, Fort Scott (KS.) (Baylor 2014 offer ? official visit)

>Blake Blackmar, OL, Houston Clear Lake (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Devin Williams, QB/Ath, FW Southwest (Baylor 2016 recruit)

>Malik Jefferson, LB, Mesquite Poteet (Baylor 2015 offer)

>Jourdan Blake, Ath, Princeton (Baylor 2014 commit)

>Charles West, RB, Coppell (Baylor 2015 recruit)

>Kris Boyd, DB, Gilmer (2015 Baylor recruit)

>Cameron Townsend, LB, Missouri City Ridge Point (2015 Baylor offer)

>Morie Evans, Ath, Huntsville (2015 Baylor recruit)

>Jamie Jacobs, LB/DE, Waco Midway (2014 Baylor commit)

>Xavier Jones, DE, West Magnolia (2014 Baylor commit)

>Jordan Feuerbacher, TE, Kingwood Park (2014 Baylor commit)

>Keaton Sutherland, OL, FM Marcus (2015 Baylor offer)

>Devontre Stricklin, WR, Waco Midway (2015 Baylor offer)

>Chad President, QB, Temple (2015 Baylor commit)

>Blake Mahon, TE, Coppell (2014 Baylor commit)

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action, the last of the 2013 regular season. All rankings are BCS. Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, TCU and West Virginia have completed their regular seasons.

No. 17 Oklahoma (9-2, 6-2) at No. 6 Oklahoma State (10-1, 7-1)

11:00 a.m. Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK (ABC)

The skinny: The Bedlam Rivalry renews for the 108th time. The Sooners dominate the series, 83-17-7. But the Cowboys are playing with a world of confidence and a win gives them at least a share of the Big 12 championship but the BCS automatic qualifier to the Fiesta Bowl. In what will be played in cold and possible poor conditions, watch the matchup between Oklahoma's running game against Oklahoma State's defensive front. That's where this game could be decided.

No. 25 Texas (8-3, 7-1) at No. 9 Baylor (10-1, 7-1)

2:30 p.m. Floyd Casey Stadium, Waco (FOX)

The skinny: The 103rd meeting between the Longhorns and Bears. Texas leads the series, 74-24-4, but Baylor is looking for its third win the last four meetings. In the final game at The Case, the Bears are looking for their first 11-win season in school history and a share of the Big 12 title. Baylor's offensive line has been banged up and must account for Texas DE Jackson Jeffcoat (10 sacks) who is playing very well. With the weather factor likely a factor, the running game should play a pivotal role for both teams.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where. These rankings were before the Texas-Texas Tech game.

1. Oklahoma State - One win away from going to the Fiesta Bowl
2. Baylor - QB Bryce Petty completing only 53.8 percent of his passes in last four games
3. Texas - Longhorns looking to share Big 12 title; Brown's fate to be decided next week
4. Oklahoma - Bob Stoops miffed at his team being portrayed in the spoiler role

5. Kansas State - Defense forced 6 KU turnovers in last week's 31-10 win
6. Texas Tech - Red Raiders lost last five and gave up at least 38 points in each
7. West Virginia - AD Oliver Luck backs Dana Holgorsen; 2014 is put up or shut up

8. TCU - Gary Patterson hires Houston OC Doug Meacham to fix offensive problems
9. Iowa State - Cyclones take some positive energy into the offseason with 2 straight wins

10. Kansas - The grind toward being respectable is going to be a long one
-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>Former Baylor 2013 signee, Katy DB Kyle Fulks should know his fate with ACT later this month. A ruling is expected that would determine if Fulks could leave Blinn College in the spring 2014 or be required to stay for two years. We're hearing that Fulks continues to talk with several Baylor players.

>2015 Temple QB and Baylor commit Chad President continues to make strides in his rehab from ACL surgery. He said he can do just about everything in terms of his range of motion but still cannot run at full speed. However, that's to be expected. President should be ready for spring football in May.

>While Baylor 2015 recruit, running back Chris Warren of Rockwall will not be at Saturday's game, he is also making great strides with his knee. Warren tore the ACL in October. His mother said that Warren is progressing so quickly that Doctors are concerned he could re-injure the knee because he could develop a false sense of security of how far along he thinks he is.

> Demetrius Hill is the only player coming this weekend for an official visit.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News