ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Dec. 5, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
More about Moore

As we mentioned, Cedar Hill LB Richard Moore's decommitment from Texas A&M really puts Baylor in a pretty good position.

The team to beat? Well, that depends on who you speak with. But when asking someone what they thought of Baylor's relationship with Moore, the person said, "Baylor and him are thick as thieves.''

Ole Miss and TCU continue to be players in this. But when Baylor convinced Moore to attend the Nov. 1 game against Kansas that signaled a shift in the recruitment. Even when Moore committed to Texas A&M in June, Baylor's coaching staff never backed off. That was probably because the Bears were the first to offer him around Thanksgiving of 2013. Baylor coaches should be by next week when the regular season concludes.

Moore and Cedar Hill play their Class 6A Division II Region I final against Southlake Carroll at 2:00 p.m. Saturday at SMU's Gerald J. Ford Stadium.

-SicEmSports

Baylor-Kansas State visitors

As always, this is not a complete list of those who plan to attend the 2014 regular season finale against Kansas State at McLane Stadium. But these are the recruits who have shared with us they plan on attending the game. We will continue to check with more recruits leading up to the kickoff.

>Montrel Wilson, S, Keller Fossil Ridge (2015 - Baylor offer; official visit)

>Jay'Onn Myles, DB, Pierce (CA) C.C. (2015 - Baylor offer; official visit)

>Blake Lynch, Ath, Gilmer (2015 - Baylor commit; official visit)

>Kris Boyd, DB, Gilmer (2015 - Baylor offer)

>Jeffery Okudah, Ath, South Grand Prairie (2017 - Baylor interest)

>Erick Fowler, LB, Manor (2016 - Baylor offer)

>McTelvin Agim, DE, Hope (AK) (2016 - Baylor offer; he's a maybe)

>Kahlil Haughton, S, Waco Midway (2015 - Baylor offer)

>Devontre Stricklin, WR, Waco Midway (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Christian Davis, DB, Waco Midway (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Tyriek Gray, RB, Houston Lamar (2015 - Baylor offer)

>J.W. Ketchum, Ath, Houston Lamar (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Keshawn Somerville, DB, Pflugerville Hendrickson (2016 - Baylor offer; he's a maybe)

>Isaiah Chambers, DE, Aldine MacArthur (2016 - Baylor offer)

>Eno Benjamin, RB, Wylie East (2017 - Baylor interest)

>Travis Bruffy, OL, Fort Bend Ridge Point (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Sam Tecklenburg, TE, Plano (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Houston Miller, OL, Keller (2016 - Baylor interest)

>Zach Smith, QB, Grandview (2016 - Baylor commit)

>Pat Hudson, OL, Silsbee (2016 - Baylor commit; he's a maybe)

>Drew Galitz, P, Rowlett (2015 - Baylor commit)

>Clay Johnston, LB, Abilene Wylie (2015 - Baylor commit)

>JaMycal Hasty, RB, Longview (2015 - Baylor commit)

Note I: Lynch's official visit was switched from Nov. 22 to this weekend. Also, Boyd said this is not an official visit to Baylor. Everything still suggests he will official in January.

Note II: It had been thought that Manor's Fowler was pretty close to committing. However, he said Thursday he plans to wait until his senior year to make his decision. But Baylor continues to be one of his favorites.

-SicEmSports

Recruiting is Weird: Part 1

It was reported earlier in the week on Twitter that one-time 2016 DB Keshawn Somerville was planning on coming to Baylor for Saturday's game against Kansas State.

However, that may not be entirely accurate. Somerville, who decommitted in October, said late Thursday he wasn't sure if he was going to come to the game. But that doesn't mean that he's completely written off Baylor.

A person familiar with the situation said that Somerville continues to keep a dialogue with Baylor safeties coach Brian Norwood.

"He' still interested in Baylor,'' the source said. "He just wants to slow things down.''

As for the trending talk that Somerville appeared to be poised to commit to TCU, the source said, "That's just talk.''

So Baylor may not be out of this after all.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Recruiting is weird: Part 2

Usually, when a commit de-commits, that means the door is closed between both he and the school.

But that's not the situation with one-time 2015 commit, Keller Fossil Ridge safety Montrel Wilson. Wilson committed only hours after Houston Lamar athlete J.W. Ketchum committed on Oct. 26. Of course, the irony was that Wilson announced this decision three days after Brian Norwood came to see him play.

By now, you know Wilson is taking an official visit to Baylor this weekend and probably plans to take visits to TCU, Arkansas and possibly Illinois.

"I was just unsure of what I wanted to do,'' Wilson said. "I really like all three schools. But I have a good connection with coach Norwood. He's one of the reasons I committed.''

Obviously, Baylor has one safety in Ketchum - that could change - and is in the running for Waco Midway's Kahlil Haughton. Plus, there are limited spots for the 2015 class.

"I know there's not a lot of time,'' Wilson said. "But I really want to go to the schools and see how the players really like it and go through the environment.''

Wilson wound up having a pretty stellar season for the Panthers. He was an all-district selection and finished the season with three interceptions.

"I also dropped a couple of others,'' he said. "I thought I had a good year in run support.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Baylor in good position for JUCO corner

California is the largest state in the U.S., but Jay'Onn Myles can't wait to decrease its population by one.

"Being on the west coast, I've just always wanted to spread my wings, go somewhere where I can mature and become a little more independent and experience life," Myles, a 2015 cornerback at Pierce (Calif.) CC, told me this week. "There's something about the south that's always fascinated me. I was always very intrigued by that part of the world. I've told myself, the first chance I'd get to go there, I'd take it."

Myles will get that first chance this weekend on an official visit to Baylor. He said it's a trip that's been in the works since this summer, when Baylor DC Phil Bennett first started recruiting him.

"He says he's in love with me," Myles said of Bennett. "He wanted to fly me out there, so after we worked out wrinkles, we decided I'm coming this weekend."

His college schedule never gave him a chance to visit anyone during the season, so after his Baylor visit, he'll take a final visit at a school TBD (Georgia, Georgia State, UMass and OU are some options) the following weekend, then will make his decision. He's a December grad and will enroll in January wherever he signs.

My take:
Baylor probably has the best chance to land him, if the Bears really want him. Arizona is his best other offer, but he told me he's not interested in them. He wants to get as far away from California as possible. Georgia could be a player if it offers, but the window is closing on that.

It makes me think Bennett is dissatisfied with not only his starters, but last year's JUCO signees (Tion Wright and Chris Sanders). One other plus about Myles: He'll have three years of eligibility.

-Jake Shaw

Oklahoma OL looking at options

Ringling, OK 2015 offensive tackle Riley Daniel is still committed to Houston, but he's definitely exploring his options.

Within the last couple of weeks both Baylor and Texas Tech have offered the 6-6, 310 prospect. While he's only a 2-star recruit, his stock appeared to jump during the course of the season. It also didn't help that he was unable to attend any of the Rivals camps during the spring and summer, so not many schools were to get to know him.

Before those schools offered, he only had offers from North Texas and Tulsa. He visited Baylor for the Oklahoma State game on Nov. 22.

"Baylor likes my size ability,'' said Daniel who was offered by offensive line coach Randy Clements. "I really did a lot of pulling and run blocking. I didn't do a lot of pass protection. I really didn't know much about Baylor but then I talked with them one day. I called them and I have an offer.''

Daniel is expected to take an official visit in January.

"I'm committed to Houston for now,'' he said. "But I'm definitely interested in Baylor and Texas Tech.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Why it doesn't matter

Navasota 2016 wide receiver Tren'Davian Dickson pretty much shrugged his shoulders when he learned he broke the Texas single-season state record with 34 TD receptions in a season.

It broke the record set by New Deal's Shayne Boyd in 1987 and tied the record set by Kirby Moore of Prosser WA in 2008. Dickson has the chance to enter the national books by himself on Saturday when Navasota (13-0) plays Henderson (11-2) at 2:00 p.m. Saturday in the state quarterfinals.

"Right now, it doesn't mean that much,'' Dickson said. "It hasn't set in yet. Maybe when the season is over it'll really set it.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where.

1. Baylor - A dominating win over Kansas State may not be enough for the playoffs

2. TCU - A great season could continue in Pasadena, CA

3. Kansas State - Don't forget the Wildcats are playing for the Big 12 championship

4. Oklahoma - Sooners will be ground and pound on Saturday in Bedlam

5. Texas - Could the Longhorns face old rival Texas A&M in a bowl?

6. West Virginia - Mountaineers salvaged the season with win at Iowa State

7. Oklahoma State - With Florida and Nebraska jobs closed, Gundy may have to stay

8. Texas Tech - QB Patrick Mahomes gives Red Raiders a lot of hope

9. Kansas - Interviews taking place for the next head coach

10. Iowa State - It appears head coach Paul Rhoads job is safe

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Weekend

A look at Saturday's action. All times are central. Teams are looking to become bowl eligible. The order runs according to game times. With the College Football rankings released, we are now using those. Kansas, Texas, Texas Tech and West Virginia have all finished their regular seasons.

Iowa State (2-9, 0-8) at No. 3 TCU (10-1, 7-1)

11:00 a.m. Amon Carter Stadium, Fort Worth (ABC)

The skinny: This figures to be an absolute blowout for the Horned Frogs who are coming off a very big 46-10 win at Texas on Thanksgiving. A win could wrap up a berth in the college playoffs. TCU's defense has feasted on turnovers forcing 34 and owning a Big 12-best plus 18 in the turnover ratio. TCU QB Trevone Boykin should have all day to throw. The Cyclones are last in the Big 12 with 14 sacks.

Oklahoma State (5-6, 3-5) at No. 20 Oklahoma (8-3, 5-3)

2:30 p.m. Gaylord Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK (FOX Sports 1)

The skinny: This is the 109th renewal of Bedlam but the Sooners hold a commanding 84-17-7 advantage. Oklahoma QB Trevor Knight (neck) will not play in this game, so it figures that redshirt freshman QB Cody Thomas will remain in his caretaker mode and let the running game do most of the work. Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy said he will decide at gametime who starts at quarterback between junior Daxx Garman and freshman Mason Rudolph. The Cowboys must win in order to secure a bowl berth. If not, they will finish the season on 6-game losing streak.

No. 9 Kansas State (9-2, 7-1) at No. 6 Baylor (10-1, 7-1)

6:45 p.m. McLane Stadium, Waco (ESPN)

The skinny: If you want to watch two teams that don't turn it over, this is the game for you. Kansas State has committed the fewest turnovers in the Big 12 (10). Baylor is second (11). Of course, the winner earns at least a share of the conference championship. A Baylor loss ends any hopes of reaching the Final Four. Will time of possession matter? Kansas State leads the conference in that category of more than 32 minutes per game. These teams are also really good on 3rd down. Kansas State leads at a conversion rate of 46.5 percent. Baylor is second at 45.7.

-SicEmSports

Emptying the Notebook

>Provided it wins Satuday, if Baylor does get left out of the Final Four playoffs, it would still be eligible to play in one of the New Year's Day bowls. While the Vizio Fiesta Bowl and Goodyear Cotton Bowls would be choices, it would appear that Baylor's likely destination would be the Cotton. But if both Baylor and TCU are left out, then the Big 12 conference would activate its tiebreaker to determine its contract bowl qualifier to determine where Baylor and TCU would go. Each could have a chance to play in the New Year's bowls.

>Hope (AR) 2016 DE McTelvin Agim continues to have a good vibe with Baylor. That's why he's hoping to return Saturday. "When I went to the Oklahoma State game, I thought their D-Line was great,'' he said, "and their stadium is one of the best in the nation.''

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News