ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Aug. 2, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
1390548.jpg

NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

Whatever the plan, Roberts thrilled with his decision
When Kevin spoke with Greg Roberts in March, Roberts talked about how Baylor's offer moved him to tears. When he committed to Baylor, it was equally emotional, but it also provided a sigh of relief.

"It was very satisfying," Roberts told me Thursday afternoon, shortly after word got out about his June commitment. "You spend all your time in life -- everyone tells you 'you've got to go to college' -- and then you final get that opportunity. All I have to do is do my work in the classroom and I'm there. I think I'm most excited about the quality of education. Baylor is one of the best universities in the world."

Somehow, Roberts' verbal pledge to Baylor (he thinks it was on June 4th) stayed under wraps until the first day of August. He said he didn't care that few people knew -- "I don't like broadcasting stuff I guess."

It's also now public knowledge that Baylor might grayshirt Roberts, which means he would graduate in 2014 as planned, but not enroll until January 2015. And he's OK with that -- if it happens.

"It's possible, if they don't grayshirt me, I'll definitely be there next summer," he said. "They just told me it's a possibility. They didn't say that I would grayshirt for sure."

Baylor has done this successfully before. Wesley Harris, a 2013 signee, won't enroll until January, a plan agreed upon with the coaches. Harris injured his knee at the end of his senior season and is using the extra time to receiver. Kicker Chris Callahan, a Houston Second Baptist graduate, also has deferred his enrollment until January despite signing with the 2013 class.

And what about the most recent two starting Baylor quarterbacks? Yes, both Bryce Petty and Nick Florence took the same grayshirt route to Baylor. As long as the staff is open and honest with the recruits, the plan usually works. And Roberts told both me and Kevin, the staff has been nothing but up front with him. The staff has his total trust.

Gray-shirting would also help Roberts bulk up. He weighs 205 right now.

"You can't play college football at that weight," he said, at least not on the defensive line. "I think (Phil Bennett) wants me to get to 265."

Baylor's biggest competition was Oklahoma. The Sooners loved his burst off the ball and his potential, but his lack of weight scared them off. Roberts wasn't happy with how their recruitment ended.

"OU kinda stopped recruiting me because of my weight problem," he said. "I didn't like how they just stopped talked to me. They came off my board, and (my dad) completely understood."

Roberts' dad, you see, was an all-American at Oklahoma. Nevertheless, Roberts said his dad is "ecstatic" with his decision. And despite his need for weight and the two stars given to him by rivals, I think Baylor fans should be equally excited. Roberts looks great on film, but it's pretty apparent he's equally impressive off the field.
-- Jake Shaw

President eager to play QB

Baylor's first 2015 commitment, Temple QB Chad President, wants to prove that he's more than just an athlete who happens to play quarterback.

He wants to show he is a quarterback. The 6-3, 197-pound president has been working steadily this summer steady working on all of his mechanics and increasing overall strength. President is at 395 on his squat, 215 on his bench and 225 on one of his cleans. While he also holds offers from Texas and Texas Tech, he said his commitment to Baylor is solid.

"But I've also been trying to working with my quick release so I can be more accurate,'' he said. "I think it's improved a lot. Basically, I want to be much more sure of anything when I'm in the pocket. I've worked on getting my elbow higher so my release will be better. I think my spirals are better than what they were in the spring.''

President, who is making plans on attending a Baylor fall practice this month, said he attended the June 9 camp and already starting to pick up some coaching pointers from Baylor quarterbacks coach Phillip Montgomery.

"What he wanted me to work on was my back leg so I wouldn't drag it,'' President said. "He didn't want me to swing through it because that was going to affect how I got into my throws. I can see the difference.''

President played wide receiver in 2012 because the Wildcats were quarterbacked by then TCU-bound Zach Allen. What was interesting was that he said he never went through wide receiver drills in 2012. He stuck to quarterback because of what was to come in 2013 and 2014. He said the Temple coaching staff wanted him to start working on his reads.

He directed Temple to the state 7-on-7 state tournament three weeks ago in Leander. The Wildcats advanced to the championship bracket before falling in the second round to Houston Stratford.

President, though, understands that there are those who will wonder how good of a quarterback he will really be. That's why he's motivated to perform at a high level.

"I'm really relaxed but I know what people are thinking,'' he said. "Some people say I can't play quarterback. Well, they haven't seen me play.''

Temple begins fall workouts on Aug. 12.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Checking in with the Class of 2014

Over the last several weeks, we've introduced you to a host of new names for 2015 and some holdover possibilities for 2014. From late April through early June, the Baylor 2014 class filled quickly.

So we believed this was a good time for us to catch you up on what has happened with these commits. So you'll know, we weren't planning on updates on Nacogdoches DE Greg Roberts (for obvious reasons), Cibolo Steele DL Josh Malin and JUCO offensive lineman Jarell Broxton because their commitments were so recent. Also, we recently updated you in another Blitz about Willis WR Chris Platt. And many of you know the situation involving 4-star Ath Davion Hall's latest flirtation's with Alabama.

Given the odd circumstances on Rockdale LB James David, SicEmSports decided to remain consistent with its original policy of basically playing this commitment low key. As for Wylie LB TK Rockwell, there's always been a tight-lipped approach from his household, it's really going to be a challenge getting something from him. However, can tell you that as of this day, the commitment seems to be as good now as it was when he gave it June 7 at Lake Highlands.

>Blake Mahon, TE, Coppell, Committed May 24

What's interesting about Mahon is that he has received some interest from Alabama lately. He attended the Crimson Tide's camp in mid-July but said the Tide did not offer. There has been some talk that Alabama wanted him to take another visit but it's unknown if that will happen. That's the same camp at Liberty-Eylau Ath Davion Hall attended. Mahon said he had a good experience but maintained that his commitment to Baylor is very strong. You know you're doing something right when you have Alabama's attention.

>Jamie Jacobs, LB/DE, Waco Midway, Committed May 24

"I'm 100 percent with Baylor. I feel like our class is going to make some noise,'' Jacobs said earlier this week. Oregon State has offered and there has been some interest from Washington and Kansas State. Jacobs said the coaches from those schools told him they planned on attending a Midway game. We'll see if that happens. Because Jacobs is a tweener recruit, he said recent talks with the Baylor staff have alluded to him playing defensive end. But linebacker hasn't been ruled out either.

>Blake Blackmar, OL, Houston Clear Lake, Committed June 1

Blackmar has been pretty much a regular on Highway 6 between Houston and Waco. He attended the June 2 and June 9 camp and then did another unofficial visit. Does that sound like he's solid with Baylor? On his unofficial, he did what several others did by arriving early and watching strength coach Kaz Kazadi put the Bears through the gauntlet. He said no schools have made any kind of a push toward him because he told those schools, once he committed to Baylor, it was over.

>Josh Pelzel, OL, Rockdale, Committed May 1

This summer has given Pelzel the opportunity to focus on transforming his body. He's done a lot of work on his core, footwork and overall quickness so he can be stronger for the 2013 season. "I feel quicker,'' he said…in face, Pelzel said he's added 50 pounds to his bench press from 300 to 350 and 80 pounds to his power clean from 350 to 430. Pelzel said he's had a little communication with Texas A&M and Texas Tech. But he termed it more passing than substantive. He does plan on attending a fall workout practice this month.

>Patrick Lawrence, OL, Waxahachie, Committed May 18

He's probably the one who has made the greatest transformation over the summer. The 2-star recruit ? we fully expect him to move up to 3 stars before the ratings cycle is over ? has gained 20 pounds from 245 to 265. If Baylor strength coach Kaz Kazadi, you're nodding your head in approval. Baylor wants its incoming tackles to be a little leaner coming in so it has more of a canvas to work with when the tackles arrive. Lawrence is less than one hour from Waco, so running down to Waco at any time shouldn't be a problem.

>Chad Adams, DB, Allen, Committed June 2

This is short but to the point. Adams wasn't really talkative when we caught up with him, but we can tell you that his commitment to Baylor is strong. So don't expect anyone to make a move to sway him by Feb. 5, 2014.

>Terence Williams, RB, Ennis, Committed Feb. 2

Ah, one of the first two commits of 2014. That goofiness is April where supposedly de-committed and then re-committed within 24 hours appears to be a distant memory. "Everything is great with Baylor,'' Williams said. In fact, Williams appears to be faster. How? Well, when ran his 40 time in spring football, he checked in with a 4.52. He did that with an ailing hip (he admitted he didn't stretch enough before he ran it but also said it's now fully healed). There hasn't been a lot of contact with other schools. Williams said his goal is to be a better leader and to rush for 2,000 yards this fall. Keep in mind, Williams rushed for xxxx in 2012.

>Cordell Dorsey, LB, Abilene Cooper, Committed May 31
While he has big plans for his senior season, February's signing day can't get here soon enough. "If I could sign today, I would," Dorsey said. He feels he's physically ready for the Big 12, so he's spent the summer working on his "game IQ," which mainly consists of film study. "Watching a lot of film, just going over all the positions on the field -- safety, linebacker, defensive end. You never know where you've going to be on the field. I've studied every spot to get me ready for the games." Since committing to Baylor, he's made the trip to Waco "a few times" to get to know the staff and program better.

>Devonte Jones, OG, Houston Bellaire, Committed April 20
The 2013 season hasn't even started, yet Jones already has at least one highlight. This week, he learned his teammates voted him one of the team captains. "It's something that I wanted," he said. "I was pretty happy about it. I've been working hard for it." That basically explains what he's been up to since his spring commitment. Hard work. "I've been working out with my team, trying to get ready. W're about to start two-a-days in the next week. I want to be ready." Jones said he talks to his lead recruiter, Baylor OL coach Randy Clements, "every now and then," and that he doesn't communicate with any other programs. "I"m still 100 precent with Baylor."

>Xavier Jones, DE, Magnolia West, Committed May 14
Even if a rival college wanted to get in touch with Jones, they'd have to go through his head coach (former Baylor QB Shawn Bell) first. And that doesn't seem likely. "I'm all Baylor," he said. "My coaches are handling all the other stuff, they said not to worry about other coaches talking to me. Baylor is the only thing on my mind other than the season." And what a season Jones is aiming for. He was his district's and county's defensive MVP last year. This season he wants all-state -- and to set school records for sacks. Of course, he also hopes his team can advance deep into the playoffs. Jones won't look the same on the field as last year. He's gained 30 pounds to reach 235, but he feels that hasn't sacrificed his speed. "This summer I haven't done as much long running as other kids -- I'm trying to keep my speed but gain weight," he said. "I'll do some sprints and then lift with my teammates."

>Ishmael Zamora, WR, Alief Elsik, Committed May 21
Make no mistake, Baylor wants Zamora to play receiver when he finally gets to Waco. But if there's ever a need on the other side of the ball, the 2013 season will give Zamora some experience. Zamora said he's likely to start at safety, too. "I plan on playing both ways, so I'm trying to score on both sides," Zamora said. "I want to catch touchdowns and run them back." Zamora, who only caught six passes as a junior in Elsik's run-based offense, said the coaches have said they'll throw it more this year. "They're making it seem like that," he said. If not, though, he thinks playing both ways will help him develop further as a receiver. "My pursuit to the ball, and how physical I am in the air, it will help those areas," he said, adding that he's also "trying to get faster, trying to focus on my hands and focusing on my overall game."

-Kevin Lonnquist & Jake Shaw

Emptying the Notebook

>Expect at least the 2013-14 basketball schedule to be released in mid-August. Baylor has big non-conference games including the tip-off event vs. Colorado in the season opener on Nov. 8 at American Airlines Center and against Kentucky Dec. 6 at AT&T Cowboys Stadium ? that's part of the new Big 12/SEC Challenge -- and Nov. 25-27 at the Maui Invitational. That field includes Syracuse, Minnesota, Arkansas and California. We also understand that one of Baylor's early home games will be against South Carolina coached by former Kansas State coach Frank Martin.

>Baylor 2015 QB target, Stephenville's Jarrett Stidham was recently offered by Tennessee and was told by Florida and Alabama coaches that they were going to continue to recruit him.

>Baylor's basketball program likely will have five spots to fill for the 2014 class. But don't expect it to be filled in November with the early signing period. As one person with knowledge said, "this is going to be a marathon.''

>The Bears' coaching staff remains interested in Mesquite Poteet 2014 DB Verkedric Vaughns. Vaughns de-committed from Arkansas State recently and told the Baylor coaching staff. Baylor hasn't offered, but it's clear he's giving them something to think about.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News