ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor adds JUCO DE/LB Obi to 2020 class (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher
Victor Obi
was lightly recruited out of Alief Taylor during the 2019 recruiting season. He then decided to take his chances by going the JUCO route at Kilgore.

And as it turns out, he'll never play a down of JUCO football either. Offered in mid-February, the Houston native announced on Twitter Sunday night that he has committed to Baylor.
Obi will be a part of the 2020 class and is expected to arrive in the summer. Because he redshirted in 2019, the DE/OLB will have four years of eligibility.

"It’s an opportunity I cannot miss out on,'' Obi said. "Great education. Great football. It's just right.''

But because of the Coronavirus outbreak, Obi will not be able to sign his NLI until at least mid-April.

When the NCAA adopted a temporary recruiting dead period through April 15, the Conference Commissioners Association (CCA) took the same action for all potential Division I and Division II signings through the same date. Once the NLI signing period resumes, the Division I football signing period (February 5 - April 1, 2020) will be extended by 30 days.

According to the NLI web site, "This suspension will be re-evaluated on or before April 15, 2020. The NLI suspension applies to both Division I and II NLI member institutions. As such, NLIs cannot be issued to Division I and II prospective student-athletes effective March 16, 2020 through at least April 15, 2020."

Given his thin frame (6-5, 215) according to the Kilgore roster, he still could be an option for Baylor's 2020 defensive front which lost all of its starters in defensive ends James Lynch and James Lockhart and nose tackle Bravvion Roy. Lynch, a junior who was a consensus All-American and Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year, declared for the NFL draft.

However, Obi's weight is an actual dramatic increase. He was 6-4, 180 as a senior in high school.

When he was at Alief Taylor, Obi's only offers were from FCS Texas Southern and New Mexico out of the Mountain West. However, he went the JUCO direction to East Texas.

Baylor now has 18 members of the 2020 class. Since he has no rating, Obi's addition has no impact on Baylor's class ranking. Currently, it stands at No. 60. That is subject to change.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News