ADVERTISEMENT

What was he Thinking? (LONNQUIST THOUGHTS)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

Like his life, Irving Berlin’s songs had and have staying power. The famous Russian composer, who moved to the United States when he was 5-years old, lived to be 101 (1888-1989) and created so many classics.

But his classic White Christmas blended the simple with the elegant. Berlin wrote it for the 1942 movie Holiday Inn. It won the Oscar for Best Original Song.

The RJB has no issues with Bing Crosby’s original rendition. But when The Drifters do it, now we’re the high rent district.

I’ll pardon your less than enthusiastic response when you found out Baylor’s bowl assignment for 2022. In fact, I’ll give you latitude for the indifference or apathy.

When you come off a 2021 season where you win a conference championship, win the Sugar Bowl, finish No. 5 in the nation and have preseason expectations that were what TCU is currently enjoying, playing a bowl game before Christmas is not what you were anticipating.

In fact, if I told you that was Baylor’s fate was that it would play Dec. 22 in TCU’s Amon Carter Stadium for the Armed Forces Bowl against Air Force, you would have looked at me and thought I was out of my mind.

Alas, as this season spiraled to a dismal 6-6 finish and three-game losing streak, this is where we’re at. On Nov. 5, Baylor had its conference championship and bowl destiny in its hands as it was preparing to play at Oklahoma. And when the Bears won in Norman, OK for only the second time in program, there was some “here we go” mentality.

After that nothing. There was the unexplainable performance against Kansas State, the kick to the gut loss to TCU and the fourth quarter meltdown at Texas.

While some people may question why Baylor isn’t in like the Guarantee Rate, Texas or Liberty Bowl against another P5 team, I think I just answered why Baylor isn’t.

I was asked about this on Twitter. My response was the poor finish left this program vulnerable for its bowl assignment.

Playing Air Force may not be a sexy assignment. It’s a bruise to the P5 ego. But it’s going to be a difficult assignment. The Falcons are a solid bunch and run an option that will demand discipline. It’s a game of chase against Troy Calhoun’s program. Either you fall behind and you’re chasing their running backs after 4-and-5-yard gains while the clock is draining, or the Falcons are chasing you if they misfire. The option is not a good come-from-behind offense. We’ll get into that a little bit this week with a first look piece. But their 9-3 record is not to be dismissed. The Falcons won the Commanders in Chief Trophy with wins over Navy and Army.

As for the Bears, they’re going to have to decide how they want to approach this. Either they want to play with great intensity and emotion and play for the idea of finishing the season with a winning record or they can be flat and not be engaged and get beat.

This is a tricky scenario Dave Aranda’s program faces.

A quick word on the College Football Playoff. Really no controversy over the selection of Georgia, Michigan, TCU and Ohio State in that order for the national semifinals.

I think what the selections show is that the first three were not in danger of losing their spots had they lost their conference title games. TCU was the only one of the three to do that. However, consider the Horned Frogs lost on the last play to the No. 10 team (Kansas State) in the poll in overtime. Had TCU been blown out, there might have been some tense moments.

It is good for the Big 12 to have representation in the playoff and with a team that isn’t jumping conferences. It probably is hard to process it because it is TCU. But Sonny Dykes’ program earned it, deserved it, and has its shot.

When USC imploded against Utah that was an easy replacement with Ohio State. I really enjoyed Alabama head coach Nick Saban lobbying for his 2-loss Crimson Tide to make it and was creative in his arguments. But deep down, Saban knew it was a longshot. Heck, even my Crimson Tide told me she didn’t believe they deserved to go.

Some items to pass your way from the mothership

>First, with the NCAA transfer portal officially opening on Monday, we’ll track and see who else from Baylor might enter. We’re up to four in WR Seth Jones, RB/WR Josh Fleeks, QB Kyron Drones and S Devin Neal.

I do anticipate more from this team to move on. Now, who will Baylor move on from other programs will take some time to process. This program will need some help with defensive line and linebacker. It also wouldn’t hurt to maybe look at an experienced wide receiver.

This is a short window. It closes Dec. 15.

>Second, the final Rivals ratings period before the early signing period is released this week. We’ll see what happens with the likes of Dripping Springs QB Austin Novosad, Arlington Lamar 4-star offensive lineman Isaiah Robinson and 4-star and No. 158 Katy Mayde Creek defensive back Tay’Shawn Wilson. I think 4-star LB Corey Kelly should be fine.

I’m concerned about Robinson and Wilson because they suffered season-ending injuries early in the football season so there was little to nothing to evaluate. Novosad, who is No. 61, had a great year.

As for Baylor adding to this 2023 class, I don’t really see this staff doing anything major unless the right fit comes along. I could see them using the late signing period in February to add the last couple of additions.

>Third, I’m bringing back “Where are the Baylor Coaches” on Monday. In home and campus meetings with the 2023 commitment class and others are scheduled or have taken place. We’ll keep you posted. Like those other threads, this will be a running account as to what is happening. That’s another short window that runs through Dec. 18. The dead period resumes Dec. 19 through Jan. 12.

About Baylor NCAA tournament Volleyball
On Friday, No. 17 Baylor (25-6) had to survive a 5-set match against No. 20 Rice (27-4). Baylor won, 16-25, 25-22, 25-23, 14-25, 15-11, Friday in the Ferrell Center. Baylor advances to the Sweet 16 and will head to Louisville Thursday. That match is set for 12:30 p.m. Thursday (ESPNU).

Let’s make it a great week!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News