ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting notes for week of Jan. 25 (UPDATE: Sunday 12:05 am)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
I talked to Quinn Nordin. So a story is coming soon. Briefly, good visit. Didn't commit. Still will take his OV to USC next week.

Also, my Arkansas colleagues talked to Brandon Jones today. Their take is that Arkansas helped itself. But who knows what will happen. Jones mentioned the possibility of a mid-week OV to TCU this week but it's unclear if that will happen. There are several inhomes this week. Not sure Baylor is one of them but I think Baylor can still use one.

Bottom line: The OV to Baylor next week is still a go.

Story from Danny West from the Arkansas Rivals site

Arkansas had one of the nation's top defensive backs on campus this weekend inBrandon Jonesof Nacogdoches (Texas).

The Rivals100 member and four-star prospect said he and his mother were impressed by what they saw on The Hill.

“It was a good visit," Jones said. "I’ve never been here. It’s kind of a new experience, a different experience. It was a really good one. I was kind of surprised by some of the things I saw. Academically and within the facility and how nice it was, I was really impressed.”

According to numerous recruits through the years, the Razorbacks have one of the nation's top weight rooms, which was a big hit for Jones.

“It’s lot of newer equipment and stuff like that which is good," he said. "They just have a lot of stuff like that a some of other schools don’t have within the weight room and training room, which really stood out to me. Also, the academic center was real nice with all the tutors they have. They just have everything set up for you to succeed. There's pretty much no way to fail unless you want to.

“Honestly, just being out here, I was really impressed with the weight program. They showed us some before and after pictures which really stood out to me, because I like to lift weights and get bigger and faster and stuff. And how comforting the coaches are because some of the coaches don’t take the time to do all that. That really stood out to me.”

Arkansas commitDevwah Whaleytold Jones earlier in the week that he would love his stay in Fayetteville. Whaley was right, Jones said.

“It did (surpass what Whaley said)," Jones said. "Like I said, I was just really impressed with how everything went, with how good and nice all the people are down here.

"We had the player panel and (I liked) how real they were without being set up to say anything. They’re just really confident in what they’ve been through and what the coaches have given them.”

The four-star was hosted by current Hog D.J. Dean.

“DJ is a good guy and he’s from east Texas," Jones said. "We hit it off right off the bat Friday night at dinner. We already had things in common just being from east Texas. Even him having a longer drive than me, he said it’s for sure worth it if I end up wanting to come here.”

Arkansas' lead recruiter for Jones, Clay Jennings, will see Jones again this week.

“I think Coach Jennings is coming Tuesday. Coach B came last week so he can't come again. I know Coach Jennings is for sure coming Tuesday. I don’t know if he’s bringing anybody with him.”

Jones is still set to see the Baylor Bears next weekend after a long week of in-home visits and a potential trip to TCU.

“I have Baylor set up next weekend and I might do TCU during the week if I can, but I have a lot of home visits with some of the head coaches," he said. "So I don’t know if I’m going to be able to do that.”

Jones, who will announce his choice on National Signing Day, knows what his decision will come down to.

“To me, the big factor will be just finding some of the positive and negative things of each school," Jones said. "I’m really big on environment that feels like home. I guess just that home feeling for me of what I’ve witnessed and what I’ve been through with all the schools.”

Share This Story

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News