ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Spring In-Depth Charts

LuxemBear

Gold Member
Mar 25, 2009
Luxembourg
Today, we return our breakdown of the Baylor football roster -- the In-Depth Charts -- where we examine each position by depth and experience, along with commentary on each. The link is below.

Here are some of my additional comments from examining the depth charts:
I'll start with overall numbers. Baylor has 40 scholarship players on offense, 37 on defense (including the three early enrollees). That makes 77, leaving Baylor nine short of the maximum. With 10 players committed, Baylor will be two over. And with Baylor still trying to add to this class, Baylor -- once again -- will have forced attrition after the spring.Is the running back position too deep? Is there such a thing? There are four guys who will want their share of touches this season, and I don't know how Baylor can satisfy them all (especially with Cotton Bowl-like play calling) unless they can remain patient. And since none of them are seniors, they will have to be really patient.On the flip side, Baylor has 10 scholarship receivers for this spring. That's not too low, but it's not high, either. Three of them (Zamore, Platt and Blake Lynch) are freshmen. That makes me think that with the glut of running backs, commit JaMycal Hasty could get a look at slot receiver.I don't think Baylor has to sign a tight end for the 2016 class, not with Feuerbacher and Mahon around through 2017, especially if Baylor can get a JUCO guy at tight end in 2017.The offensive tackle position is stacked now that Drango is returning, especially if early enrollee Dominic Desouza is ready. The guard position might be just as good. Center is a bit of a concern with no experience behind Fuller, but Baylor could easily shift another player over if it needed to.Speaking of stacked, Baylor has 16 scholarship defensive linemen, with nine of them classified as juniors or below. Six of them have at least three years of eligibility left, so Baylor's ignoring of D-linemen in the 2015 class is understandable. I could see someone moving over to MLB since Baylor's top two players there are a senior and a junior. Maybe Aiavion Edwards gets a look since he's kind of lost a grip on the OLB job, but I'd think Baylor would want a bigger player.Baylor has a huge crop of cornerbacks -- it's time one or more of them really step up. Looking at potential replacements makes me think Terrell Burt, despite off play most of the year, will hold onto his starting job.

Pre-Spring In-Depth Charts

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News