ADVERTISEMENT

Player Interviews from 1st Day of Spring Practice (Bryson Jackson, Drake Dabney, TJ Franklin - TRANSCRIPT)

cookphotoworks

Feb 5, 2013

All I have is Bryson Jackson. The other two but just click the links to watch and listen.

Bryson Jackson

(What do you like about Coach Powledge) One, just the morale of the team. Being a guy who was already here before, most of us know what to expect and we know he’s going to bring that juice, bring that energy and kind of rally us as a unit, as the troops. Everybody in the locker room is behind him and they’re willing to go out there and fight for him. You get that energy off the bat, you know what you’re getting from him. I’m very excited about what’s going to happen this spring for us as a defense and what he has in store for us as a unit.

(Moved to Star) I’m currently playing Star right now, that’s a new position. I’ve always wanted to be in a position where I can help the team the most, so just being here I’m grateful for Coach Aranda allowing me to play there and for Coach Powledge allowing me to go out there and compete at it. We’re going to see how it goes.

(What’s the biggest change you’re having to learn) Just coverage adjustments, communicating with the safeties and the corners, and letting the linebackers know what’s happening. Where I was playing up front, I was communicating with the D-linemen and the linebackers behind me. A lot of it was pass rushing and stuff like that, so now I get to add a different twist to it from the coverage standpoint.

(How did the position change come about) I’ve always thought I would be good at that position, so I asked and they’ve always trusted in my ability to compete. What better opportunity than now to compete at that position, and see if I can play it and be really good. The conversation was about seeing where my strengths were at and see if I can get better. (Coach Powledge coaches that position).

(Motto for team coming in) It’s to pound the rock. Everything matters and we’ve got to go out there and put our foot forward to get better. We have to attack everything as far as the classroom, being better people outside the facility, and having a shared commitment and just playing together and playing hard and playing fast, and being what Baylor is supposed to be.

(Energy of first practice) Just high energy, I think everybody is excited with the work we put in during the offseason. Taking from what we did in the weight room, everybody is fired up about it. It’s time to put the pads on and we finally get to go out there. Some guys got stronger, some guys got faster. Just seeing the growth in the locker room and where they came from the year before, and seeing what they are now going into spring ball, it’s pretty exciting. So everybody’s fired up. The momentum going into the spring is good so far today. We’re just looking forward to carrying that on in the spring season.

(Losing streak at end) Every day you’ve got to come in and get focused. You’ve got to take all the distractions out and focus on getting better and being there for each other. I think that’s something we can definitely improve on, and I think we have since then. That’s been the whole interaction during the offseason is getting better as a unit and redefining our culture and what camaraderie means and shared commitment means and fighting through adversity and having each other’s back. That’s important and we’ve got mature guys in the room.

(Coming back this season) I have an opportunity and God blessed me with it. I love the game and I love what Coach Aranda is doing and I love this program. I love the guys in the locker room, so if I had an opportunity I wouldn’t change that for the world and I would definitely come back. There’s no better program than to do it here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mar.Gen.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News