ADVERTISEMENT

No. 10 Texas withstands No. 11 Baylor, 76-71; 6-game win streak ends (RECAP/NOTES/QUOTES)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

In a game where the Baylor guards were stymied all night at the arc, the longest of the long attempts mirrored that.

Keyonte George's game-tying 3-pointer with 23 seconds to play from about 30 feet was well off. The Longhorns hit free throws and snapped the Bears' six-game winning streak Monday night at the Moody Center. Texas defeated Baylor for only the second time in the last 14 meetings.

For the third straight game, the Bears (16-6, 5-4) finished shooting in the mid-30s. They finished at 36.8 percent and just 30.8 from the arc.

Baylor never led for the final 33:29 of this game. However, the Bears offensive rebounding and ball security (nine turnovers) never allowed Texas to pull away. The Longhorns led by as many as nine points.

Texas led 72-68 when George delivered a clutch 3-point play - he had Baylor's last five points and finished with 17 - to cut it to 72-71 with 51 seconds remaining.

However, Texas' leading scorer Marcus Carr, whom Baylor shut down all night, delivered only his second field goal with a 14-footer to extend the Longhorns the lead back to 74-71. After George missed his shot. Sir'Jabari Rice made two free throws with 17 seconds remaining to seal it.

While George, Cryer (19) and Adam Flagler (11) combined for 47, they were a combined 16-47 and 7-21 from deep. Texas' guards forced them to take more 2s than 3s. But that's also partly why the Bears could not ever re-take the lead.

The Bears trail Texas (18-4, 7-2) by two games at the halfway point of the conference season. They return to the Ferrell Center to play Texas Tech on Saturday. The Red Raiders just picked up their first Big 12 win by upsetting then co-conference leader Iowa State, 80-77, in overtime Monday in United Supermarkets Arena.

Postgame Notes

· Scott Drew is 20-22 all time against the Longhorns

· BU is 12-2 in its last 14 games against Texas

· Monday’s loss was Baylor’s first loss in its last seven games against the Longhorns.

· Baylor is 22-9 against Texas since snapping a 24-game series losing streak in 2009.

· BU is now 12-2 in its last 154 games against AP top-10 teams.

· LJ Cryer scored 19 points, his 10th game this season with 15+ points.

· Cryer tied a career high with five rebounds in the game.

· Jalen Bridges scored in double figures for an eighth-straight game, the longest stretch of his career.

· Bridges led the team with seven rebounds, the 10th time he led the team in rebounds.

· Keyonte George tallied 17 points, his 14th game of 15+ points this season.

· Flo Thamba played in his 138th career game, one shy of the third-most all time.

Postgame Quotes

Scott Drew

Big 12 game, one or two possessions, credit Texas for making plays down the stretch. I thought they really got off to a good start and got in transition and uncharacteristic, we’ve been really efficient and getting high percentage shots and getting back in transition, and we dug ourselves a little hole at the beginning of the game. I’m proud of the guys for fighting. It’s a tough place to play and the new facility is amazing. They did a great job with it. I wish I’d called a time out with 17 or 18 seconds at that possession. That’s on me.

(Are getting shots you want) The two’s they did a good job contesting some of them and we missed some that we rushed, especially early in the game. We had a couple of point-blank layups. We’re the second-best offense in the country and it’s not by shooting 37 percent and having nine assists. Normally we’re an 18-assist team and credit Texas’ defense for speeding us up and keeping us out of our rhythm.

(3-point misses late in game) Yeah we took some bad 3s, and we don’t go 8 for 26 on 3s if we take good ones. We got really good shooters, my job I’ve got to get them better shots. I give them better shots, they’ll make a higher percentage.

(Rice) My brother recruited him and GCU and I know he’s a heck of a player. I’m a fan of his and I know what he’s capable of, and he really adds a great dimension to their team.

(UT trap) I thought they did a good job on Keyonte. He missed his first seven, and I thought Allen caused a lot of that. We expected them to trap all screens. We had two dunks and layups to begin the game.

(Timmy Allen) He was 7 for 10, 18 points, 4 assists, six rebounds, those are problems. He’s a great college player and he’s had a great career, and he’s a tough guard.

(how big was that 8-0 run by Texas early in the second half that pushed it to 9) I was more upset with the first half, to be honest. I thought the first half, we didn’t eecute and play like we’re capable of until the last eight minutes or so. And you can’t start out on the road like that. That was more disappointing.

(see Rodney Terry putting his stamp on it) Yeah, they’ve got a great staff. Rodney’s got head coaching experience, everyone knows him in the state, respects him. He’s doing a great job with a great team. Again, it’s the Big 12, every game is a one or two possessions. And coaches aren’t going to give you games, you’ve got to earn them. And tonight, they earned it.

(when you hold Marcus Carr to 5 points, figure you’re going to win) Yeah, that’s a credit to them. If you can have a player score five, who averages 20 at home, and get a win, that’s a credit to their team. They had guys step up, and we didn’t step up enough.

(mentality now after seeing the six-game winning streak snapped) We like winning, so we’ve got to get back to fixing things, but it’s hard to have long win streaks in this league. Six of the top-15 teams, everybody is an NCAA tournament team. You can play well and lose games. And if you don’t play well, you’ve got no chance.

LJ Cryer
We’re not getting the shots we want. We want to get good, better, best. Right now I guess we’re taking good shots instead of great shots, and sometimes they’re not even good shots. So we’ve just got to do a better job of getting into the paint and finding each other.

(what was so tough about scoring on Texas) They’re long, they deny the ball, so it’s hard to get open on cuts. They’re a hard-playing team, it was kind of similar to Arkansas.

(low number of assists, do you credit that to their defense or is that on you guys) Of course, they did a good job, but at the end of the day we can control that. We can’t let them dictate what we do, we’ve got to go out there and do what we do, regardless of what they’re doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: baylor1947
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News