ADVERTISEMENT

MBB - FINAL/OT: Kansas State 97, 95; Bears 10-5, 0-3 (RECAP/QUOTES/NOTES)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Baylor SID
On his first trip back to the Ferrell Center after 19 years on Baylor's staff, Jerome Tang led his Kansas State Wildcats to a 97-95 win over the 19th-ranked Bears Saturday night.

Baylor got 23 and 22 points, respectively, from guards Adam Flagler and Keyonte George, but Caleb Lohner missed a potential game-winning 3-pointer at the buzzer as the Bears fell to 10-5 overall and 0-3 in the Big 12.

Markquis Nowell scored a game-high 32 points, going 12-for-13 from the free throw line, and also fed Ismael Massoud for a go-ahead 3-pointer with 31.6 seconds left for his 14th assist of the game. The Wildcats, unranked going into a week when they won a pair of road games against ranked opponents, improved to 14-1 overall and atop the Big 12 standings at 3-0.

Fighting an uphill battle against Kansas State most of the game, the Bears got it into overtime when Jalen Bridges hit a 3-pointer with 20.7 seconds left in regulation to tie it up at 86-86.

Bridges was one of five double-figure scorers for Baylor, finishing with 11 points and seven rebounds. Flo Thamba had 14 points and seven boards, while Langston Love scored seven of his 10 points in the first half.

Keyontae Johnson just missed a double-double for the Wildcats, finishing with 24 points and nine rebounds. K-State shot 53% for the game, including 11-of-25 from outside the arc.

Baylor goes back on the road to face West Virginia (10-5, 0-3) at 6 p.m. CST Wednesday in Morgantown, W. Va., with both teams looking for their first win in conference.

QUOTES

Scott Drew
If we’re going to lose, losing to Coach Tang is someone I would want to lose to. He’s done a remarkable job in a short period of time, and I love him like a brother. As far as our team goes, I thought our effort was better, I thought our defense in transition was better. Our 21 to 12 assist to turnover ratio was better, our rebounding was better. At the end of the day, execution down the stretch, we shouldn’t have given up a 3. When the players don’t execute it, it’s on me, so I have to do a better job with that. The last one to fall out of bounds, we’ve got to execute that better as well. We’ve got to keep working on game-ending execution. It’s a great Big 12 environment. I want to thank our fans, I thought they were phenomenal. I want to apologize to them for two heartbreaking losses. I know it’s not easy, but we’ll find a way to get better.

(Playing against Jerome) I tried to explain that before the game. If we would have won, I would have enjoyed that more instead of losing. But I know it’s still tough on the other person, that’s why you don’t want to play family. It’s tough when they’re in conference. I remember when my brother was looking at a job in conference once, and thank God he didn’t go there.

(What impresses you about KSU) I think Coach Tang has done a great job with their chemistry, their grit, their toughness, they play a fun style. Nowell is an unbelievable player. Through three games, averaging what he’s averaging, and I tell you it’s a big advantage having six-year guys compared to freshmen. You have to really compete against older guys like that. Nowell has tons of maturity in his game, and I credit Coach Tang and his staff for that and I credit him. Keyontae Johnson when he scored 20 against us at Florida we knew how good he was. You don’t get SEC preseason player of the year accolades if you’re not special. So those two guys are not only really good players, but I think they’re good culture and team guys.

(Is Nowell the most improved player in Big 12) There’s not many people averaging 30 and 10.

(What will it take to get over hump) The mental mistakes down the stretch. We’ve got to get better shots in the overtime, better attention to detail, so I would say the execution and attention to detail.

(What did you say to Coach Tang beforehand) Once you start the game, you’re not paying attention. You’re locked in on your team. We coached against each other in practice for 19 years, so we pretty much knew what each other was doing.

(Talented team, parity of league) I think with the COVID stuff, the fifth and sixth-year guys really negate talent too. You can be a talented 13 of 14-year-old and it’s hard to beat a 19-year-old. We’ve got three freshmen who are playing and getting better, we got guys in different roles that were role players that we’re expecting more of, and until we can get better chemistry with that…. The goal of every coach is to not have a one-possession game because we all know anything can happen. If Noel can make another shot that deep again on one try, Dane doesn’t even shoot them that far. Then his bank with the left hand, that’s one possession games and that’s why you can’t let games go to one possession.

(Jalen hitting the 3 to send it to overtime, gain confidence in this one) I thought Jalen did some good things, 11 (points) and 7 (rebounds). He’s starting to take a step forward with his confidence, the guys’ confidence. At the end of the game, he’s been through the wars of the Big 12. But we need him to be good, and we need him to be special.

I really like this group. Losing is really hard, but they’re really good representatives of Baylor besides the wins and losses right now. So, we’ve got to get better, and we’ll find a way to do that. Thank the crowd for being there and supporting us. Don’t forget about us or leave us just yet.

(on the play where Adam turned it over, were you trying to get it switched to Massoud, so you could drive to the rim) Yes, because we kept playing out of that. But whenever you have two on you, you want to get rid of the ball. Markquis found Massoud, we didn’t find Jalen Bridges. Credit them for making that and us not executing.

Postgame Notes

• Baylor is Now 10-5 (0-3) on the season.
  • Scott Drew is 21-7 at Baylor in overtime games
  • Baylor dropped its second-straight home game and third overall, its longest losing streak since 2018-19.
  • Baylor had its 7-game series winning-streak snapped, which had been the longest by either team in the series.
  • Baylor is 42-11 in Big 12 play over the last four seasons.
  • Baylor is 156-92 in Big 12 Play in 13 seasons, after going 59-149 in the league’s first 13 seasons.
  • Keyonte George scored 22 points, his sixth 20-point performance of the season, the most by a freshman since Perry Jones III in 2010-2011 (6).
  • For a second-straight game, George set career highs in free throw makes (12) and attempts (16).
  • Adam Flagler scored a team-high 23 points, the fourth time he has led the Bears in scoring this year.
  • The senior extended his streak of double-figure scoring games to 14.
  • Flagler led the team in assists for an eighth time this season (7).
  • Flo Thamba played in his 131st career game, tying him for sixth-most in program history, with current Director of Player Development, Tweety Carter.
  • Thamba scored a season-high 14 points, his most since he had 14 in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament against Norfolk State (3/17/22).
  • The senior notched a season high with six made free throws.
  • Jalen Bridges scored in double figures for the third time in the last five games (11)
  • Bridges led the team with two blocks. It was the eighth time he has led the team in blocks this season.
  • With 10 points, Langston Love scored in double figures for a seventh time this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj crockett
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News