ADVERTISEMENT

Kenan Ivy is a State Champion (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By KEVIN LONNQUIST
Publisher

Reggie Garner tweaked knee. Kenan Ivy dealt with a congested chest. So how in the world did Lancaster win the state championship in the Class 5A 4x100 relay event on Friday?

"We were just determined to win,'' Ivy said. "We weren't going to miss this chance after not winning last year.''

The will to win drove the Baylor safety commit and his team to a come-from-behind victory in what could be considered one of the best finishes all weekend at Mike A. Myers Stadium at the University of Texas. Running the anchor leg, Ivy helped the Tigers claim gold with a time of 40.66 seconds. Richmond George Ranch finished second at 40.70. Fort Bend Marshall was third at 40.71. Mansfield Legacy place fourth at 40.73.

Think about that. Only seven one-hundreths of a second separated the top four teams. In fact, the top six teams were within one second of each other.

"We were already excited,'' Ivy said. "We got behind on the first exchange. But I was about five meters behind the guy from Mansfield Legacy. I've been sick for two weeks. I had the mindset that I was going to get this done.''

Ivy made his move in the last 15 meters and had enough to hang on. Ivy was among those Baylor commits and prospects who won eights state titles. Sachse 2016 wide receiver Devin Duvernay won the 6A 100 with personal-best 10.27. Running back commit Kameron Martin from Port Arthur Memorial anchored his team tot he 6A 4x200 relay. Meanwhile 2017 wide receiver Hezekiah Jones won two in the 4A 200 and 4x100 relay.

Baylor has made it a passion to field the fastest team in college football. The results and potential recruiting victories could help maintain that.

"I talked to coach [Jeff] Lebby and he congratulated me,'' Ivy said. "He just wanted me to keep improving.''

All of the state champions are invited to a champions track meet at the Hart Track & Field Stadium at Baylor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News