ADVERTISEMENT

First CFB Playoff Poll: Baylor No. 12 (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Top 25
1. Ohio State (8-0)
2. LSU (8-0)
3. Alabama (8-0)
4. Penn State (8-0)
5. Clemson (8-0)
6. Georgia (7-1)
7. Oregon (8-1)
8. Utah (8-1)
9. Oklahoma (7-1)
10. Florida (7-2)
11. Auburn (7-2)
12. Baylor (8-0)
13. Wisconsin (6-2)
14. Michigan (7-2)
15. Notre Dame (6-2)
16. Kansas State (6-2)
17. Minnesota (8-0)
18. Iowa (6-2)
19. Wake Forest (7-1)
20. Cincinnati (7-1)
21. Memphis (8-1)
22. Boise State (7-1)
23. Oklahoma State (6-3)
24. Navy (7-1)
25. SMU (8-1)

By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher
To be sure, Baylor head coach Matt Rhule didn’t have any preconceived notions about where his program would be when the first college football playoff poll was released on Tuesday.

“I am pretty sure they are not going to put us in the top four,’’ Rhule said Monday at his press conference, “So I’m just going to tell our guys, hey let’s just worry about this week and this game. It is all unchartered territory for our team so I keep going out and saying my way is to not pay attention to any of that. It is to just focus on this week and us.’’

For its 8-0 start – its third in the 2010s – the Bears landed at No. 12 in front of No. 13 Wisconsin and behind No. 11 Auburn.

The “playoff” teams for this week are No. 1 Ohio State, No. 2 LSU, No. 3 Alabama and No. 4 Penn State. Ironically, all four of those teams had byes last week.

Baylor is one of four Big 12 teams ranked in the poll. Oklahoma is No. 9. Kansas State is No. 16. Oklahoma State is No. 23.

Beyond the record, what helped Baylor reach this point is that those wins over the Wildcats and Cowboys came on the road. What probably hurt is their soft non-conference schedule of Stephen F. Austin, UTSA and Rice and narrow wins over two teams with losing records, 3-5 Texas Tech (33-30 in OT) and 3-5 West Virginia (17-14).

Baylor is behind four one-loss teams in Georgia, Utah, Oregon and the Sooners. The Bears are also behind two 2-loss teams in Florida and Auburn.

Baylor can steadily move up as long as it keeps winning and gets some breaks. No. 2 LSU visits No. 3 Alabama Saturday. No. 1 Ohio State really isn’t going to be tested for another three weeks when it plays Penn State. The No. 4 Nittany Lions play at No. 17 and also undefeated Minnesota Saturday. No. 5 Clemson is heavily favored against NC State Saturday.

November’s schedule doesn’t help the Bears as much. A win at TCU is a good start. The big leap potential is if they beat Oklahoma Nov. 16 in Waco.

For now, the Bears are content with holding sole possession of first place in the Big 12.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News