ADVERTISEMENT

DFW 2024 defender has scoop on Baylor (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

He’s growing up fast in recruiting. Baylor definitely wants to be a part of it.

Mansfield Summit 2024 defensive standout Kyland Reed is one of those who has made a name for himself during the May evaluation period. The reason is because he brings flexibility. He can play on the edge. He can play outside linebacker.

In reality, Baylor isn’t particular. Wherever it can get him on the field – if he was to ever commit to the Bears, of course, to be effective – is all that matters.

“I think they have something special going,’’ Reed said. “I think [Baylor head coach Dave Aranda] is a mastermind of defense.’’

The Bears recently offered Reed following the May evaluation period. Reed has not visited Baylor as of yet. He plans to at his first opportunity.

That could be during the camp season this month. That could be later at the camp in the last weekend in June. To be sure, he should be one of those who makes several appearances on campus.

Since he has a little time on his side, that doesn’t matter. Once he visits, things could go in another positive direction. That first visit could make a difference.

“I just want to get a feel of the environment,’’ he said.

Reed is picking up some serious P5 interest. The Bears are among five D1 programs to offer including Texas Tech, Illinois, Oklahoma State and Vanderbilt.

Reed is starting to build his relationship with Baylor running backs coach Justin “Juice” Johnson who recruits the southern part of the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

“He likes the energy I have and that I bring to every play,’’ Reed said. “But Baylor likes me at both [defensive end and outside linebacker]. I can play in space, and I can rush the passer. Wherever they need me, I will be there.’’

Reed put together a very productive season in 2021 for the Jaguars with 48 total tackles (30 solos) along with 12 TFL, seven sacks and 11 quarterback pressures. Beyond that, he also created havoc creating turnovers with four forced fumbles and a pair of recoveries.

Defensive recruits considering Baylor have seen the results over Aranda’s first two seasons. Aranda’s defense is active, creates plays and presents the appearance of a unit that is one step ahead of the opposing offense.

“They have players all around,’’ Reed said. “They have versatile players. To be honest, I think I would just be an addition to the athleticism on the roster.’’

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News