ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor, Red Oak 2024 defender Smith making a connection (STORY POSTED)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

One element to his game that benefits Zach Smith and the school he chooses to play for in college is his versatility.

In Baylor’s case, the coaching staff likes him either at linebacker or the Jack position, which can be an edge rusher or linebacker depending on the down, distance and field position.

“I’ve been told I can play both,’’ the Red Oak 2024 athlete said about his offer from Baylor. “It just depends on how big I get when I get there.’’

The staff recently offered the rising defensive playmaker who is starting to make the spring tour of schools. Smith is expected to be at Arizona State on March 16 and Oklahoma State March 22. The Baylor visit is planned for March 31.

And everything would suggest that Smith will set up an official visit to Waco this summer. That will still be determined.

While at this stage of his recruitment, his size (6-1, 180) would lend him to play something else, this is where projections say something else. That’s why Baylor sees him along the first line of defense.

“I’m actually getting to know the program a lot better than what I did,’’ he said. “I kept up with the program beyond of my former teammates plays for Baylor.’’

One of those would be 2022 signee Kelsey Johnson who made an impact during the season. While the potential of reuniting with a former teammate is intriguing, that’s not going to be the differentiator.

“He’s been in my ear a lot just telling me everything that happens down there,’’ Smith said of his talks with Johnson. “Every time I have a question, I ask him. I’ve never been to Baylor. I wanna see if it’s the right place for me. I want to learn more about the environment and how everything is.”

A tackling machine for the Hawks in 2022, Smith finished with 101 total stops including 10 for loss, Red Oak finished 9-3 that fall which included a bi-district playoff win over state power Denton Ryan.

“My strengths would definitely be reading plays and breaking down in space and my ability to hit,’’ he said. “My areas I need to improve in more I’d say coming to balance more on more of my tackles , staying square a lot more.”

To get there, Smith understands the value of track. He runs the 200 and a leg in 4x200 relay.

“I’m learning everything with a big name is not always what you think,’’ he said. “I’m also learning that some schools will just offer and you’ll never speak again. The good thing is I’m building a lot of relationships which means I’ll have a lot of connections for the rest of my life.’’

A rating for Smith from Rivals is expected in the next ratings period.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News