ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Coaching Search -- Continuous on the 1st Page (Dec. 1, 1:30 PM)

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Ok, so here is where we're at with SMU's Chad Morris

UPDATE: (Dec. 1, 1:30 PM): Got some info on Arkansas State coach Blake Anderson. There are indications that head coach and former Baylor player Blake Anderson is expected to meet with Baylor AD Mack Rhoads this weekend following the Red Wolves game at Texas State.

It could be as early at Saturday night after the game or perhaps Sunday. That's a little up in the air. From what I'm told, if the meeting happens and if Baylor offers....that's a big if...Anderson likely would accept it for several reasons.

1. The chance to go to a P5 job.

2. He played for Grand Teaff between 1987-89

3. His family lives in nearby Hubbard (about 30 miles north of Waco). It sounds like his father isn't doing very well lately.

Again, he's not the only candidate on the radar. However, I wanted to share with you what I've learned.

>As was stated Monday, the framework for a deal is in place. There needs to be some higher ups that would have to sign off on it.

>SMU is negotiating with Morris. At this point, it seems like it is in vein. Someone told me that when he did his coaches show on the radio Monday night, he was a little guarded when he started talking about the future.

>What helps Baylor is that Morris made a name for himself in Central Texas and appears to want to get back to a slower pace. Dallas is Dallas. That can get a little over the top.

>If this does happen with Morris, as I mentioned elsewhere DC Van Malone likely would get the interim tag. Now what that means if SMU doesn't make a bowl is another story. I think several in his inner circle who came with him to SMU from Clemson would join him in Waco, starting with OC Joe Craddock.

>I don't think it's over for Baylor to look at other candidates. But just keep in mind that Morris has pretty much been pursuing this job since Memorial Day weekend.

All I have for right now.

UPDATE (Nov. 22, 12:15 PM): As for UNC coach Larry Fedora, there was contact between Baylor and Fedora's side. The interest was there. However, we're told -- and this is not surprising -- that Fedora wanted a firm understand of where Baylor stood with the NCAA on its self reported issues.

Obviously, given the recent news of outgoing OC Kendal Briles meeting with the NCAA over impermissible contact, that's part of it. That hasn't been resolved. And that's what might have caused Fedora to drop his pursuit of the position. This is where landing Morris makes a little more sense because he's willing to ride it out as long as Baylor gives him some wiggle room regarding potential penalties..

You should anticipate a Morris announcement within a day or two after SMU plays its regular season finale against Navy.

UPDATE (Nov. 22, 1:00 PM): If Van Malone stayed at SMU as the next HC, one candidate to be considered for Baylor's DC would be current Lake Travis HC Hank Carter. A defensive coach by trade. If memory serves, Morris wanted to bring him to SMU but it didn't work out.

UPDATE (Nov. 22, 7:40 PM): Morris addressed his team Tuesday afternoon and assured them he wasn't leaving SMU. It sounds like there was a mixed reaction to riiiiiiiight....

I can confirm that Gerald Ford did not arise from his grave and continually proclaim there was no Soviet domination of Eastern Europe.

UPDATE (Nov. 23, 8:15 AM): One of the things I'm hearing is that Morris has asked for a clause in his contract to be placed in there regarding the potential severity of NCAA sanctions. In other words, if Baylor gets hit hard, then he can be released. Again, this is all fluid. I am aware of another clause that would free him to go to Texas A&M if that job opened.

OK, I have a big project I have to finish up for the man. So I'll try to add what I can at some point.

UPDATE (Nov. 25, 5:20 PM): SMU made a last run. Offered nearly $3 and more $$ for the assistant. That went nowhere.

I know this has been out there but I wanted to be sure it was right. We're looking at 5 years about $24.5 million. There are buyout clauses if Baylor gets hit by the NCAA or is A&M opens.

I got the sense from talking to a couple of people that Chad had no intention of giving any ground. Plus, the relationship between Chad and SMU was getting tense.

It's just a matter of when Morris is the new Baylor HC. That's probably Monday.

UPDATE (Nov. 27, 3:40 PM): There's really not a lot of new for this one. However, I didn't want to let the day go without sharing something.

Right now, I think it's up in the air about SMU's Chad Morris becoming the next Baylor coach. I know he avoided the subject when asked following the game against Navy. He was he was going to recruit. That's true. It sounds like the entire SMU staff is going on the road Monday. Take from that if you will.

The chatter of Morris doing or one the other is pretty much going ways in terms of validity. I don't want to lead you on and saying that he's coming because frankly, I don't know. Things can change on an hourly basis. Just look at what happened with Tom Herman and LSU and Texas.

I did hear that Baylor AD Mack Rhoads planned on meeting with people on Monday. Now, what that means exactly is another story. Could Morris make a hard left turn down I-35E south and go about 100 miles?

But there is some thinking that Morris may wait for the situation at Texas A&M to develop. That probably won't happen this year. However, if you're Morris and you come to Baylor this year, A&M opens in 2017 or 2018 and you exercise that clause to go to it if you're the guy, you're going to get the reputation as a major job hopper. That's not a good reputation to have. Think Todd Graham who jumped from Rice to Tulsa to Pittsburgh to Arizona State.

I mentioned in a thread Saturday that UNC coach Larry Fedora's name came back into play. UNC regular season has finished. I wasn't kidding about that.

If you're going ask me for my best guess on Morris, I'll tell you that if something doesn't happen by Wednesday, then Baylor is moving forward.

Yep, this was a big round about way of saying, "Who the heck knows anymore.''

UPDATE (Nov. 28: 1:45 PM): From the Dallas Morning News.

That would fall in line of what I told you that Rhoads was people on Monday and Morris was not on the recruiting trail. Rhoads should be meeting with other candidates this week.

UPDATE (Nov. 28: 2:40 PM): A couple of things I've heard about North Carolina coach Larry Fedora (Baylor asst from 1990-96). He has a somewhat veteran roster with a host of seniors and juniors. He is saying good-bye to 16 seniors. He's 82-46 in his six seasons there. The word I keep hearing is that he's probably ready to move. That could mean that he's going to dip in 2017.

Now, I've written before that he wasn't real fond of what he could be dealing with at Baylor with possible NCAA sanctions. But if the indications are strong, he could be ready to talk to Baylor again. I would just watch this. Plus, he coached under Teaff and Chuck Reedy. Now, it's been 20 years but with Teaff still active, that could be a thing.

However, one thing I was told was in the Russell Athletic Bowl, Baylor players considered North Carolina one of the least physical teams they faced in 2015. Take that for what it's worth.

UPDATE (Nov. 28, 8:15 PM): We might know Tuesday where SMU coach Chad Morris and Baylor are. There's a scheduled SMU team meeting at 2:30 pm. It's being termed an end if the season meeting.

UPDATE (Nov. 29, 9:35 AM): These names are familiar but may be the ones in focus
PJ Fleck, Western Michigan -- If they talk to him, they may wait to talk to him because WMU plays Ohio Friday in the MAC title game
Mike McIntyre, Colorado -- If they talk to him, they may wait to talk to him because Colorado plays Washington Friday in the PAC 12 title game
Chad Morris, SMU -- Well, they've already met
Philip Montgomery, Tulsa -- I still think the Briles connection is going to be a problem here but we'll see
Larry Fedora, North Carolina -- This is who they should get

UPDATE (Nov. 29, 3:20 PM): We tweeted out that SMU HC Chad Morris told his team Tuesday afternoon that he will be staying at SMU.

UPDATE (Nov. 30, 9:45 AM): If you read the bottom of the ESPN report, you saw that Arkansas St. coach Blake Anderson might be on the list of those candidates to be considered.

A couple of things about Anderson:
>He played at Baylor from 1987-89 under Grant Teaff as a QB/WR.

>In three seasons, he's 22-15 and has taken the Red Wolves to bowls in each season. Arkansas St. won the 2015 Sun Belt Championship. ASU is 0-2 in Bowls.

>The Red Wolves are 6-5 and finish the regular season Saturday at woeful Texas State (7:30 p.m. ESPN2). With a win, they would finish in a tie for the conference title and share it. Win or lose, it sounds like they are going to be bowling.

>Hearing that the buyout for Anderson is $2 million. If this is the direction goes, it could be a good move. This wouldn't be a bad thing at all. Arkansas St. has been a great feeder program for P5 jobs, Gus Malzahn to Auburn and Brian Harsin to Boise St. just to name a couple.
>His family is from Hubbard, Texas

UPDATE (Dec. 1, 10:40 AM): If you missed it in the Chad Morris extension thread, I'm putting it up here as well. One element about this reported extension is that there isn't a release by the school regarding it. That's usually a given. The only thing that is out there is what The Dallas Morning News reported. Hart said the SMU Board of Trustees have approved this. Hart was also out of town. Morris likely was on the road recruiting. I did see where SMU got an offensive lineman who flipped from Rice.

Does this mean Morris is still in the mix with Baylor? Has he signed the extension? In this business, nothing is absolute. Nothing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News