ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Oct. 29, 2021

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper

We will have our Baylor men’s basketball preview in the Blitz on Nov. 12, the day the 2021-22 season opens against Incarnate Word.

The Bears have their second secret scrimmage this Sunday against LSU in Houston. Baylor played Texas A&M this past Saturday. The Bears are No. 8 in the AP preseason poll and No. 3 in the Big 12 coaches preseason poll.

Baylor pursuing 2023 QB Arnold
Denton Guyer has produced some very talented quarterbacks in its time. Jerrod Heard is one of its most notable.

But one of the next to draw a lot of attention is 2023 signal caller Jackson Arnold. Baylor recently offered the 4-star standout. Quarterbacks coach Shawn Bell came to visit him last week.

“I think really highly of the coaching staff,’’ Arnold said. “I think they are great people even without meeting them like you normally would. I don’t know them that well yet, but I’m hoping to build that relationship.’’

Arnold has already drawn 16 offers. Besides Baylor, the notable offers are from Florida, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oklahoma State and Ole Miss.

He’s enjoying a very productive season for the Wildcats. Guyer (9-1) finished its regular season on Thursday night in a 45-31 victory over Little Elm. The Wildcats have a bye next week before they begin the Class 6A playoffs.

Arnold has completed 65 percent of his passes for 2,350 yards to go with 19 touchdowns and just three interceptions. He’s also rushed for 509 yards and seven touchdowns.

“I talk to coach Bell frequently,’’ Arnold said. “They said they liked my arm strength and accuracy, as well as my poise on the field.’’

Houston 2022 DE talks Baylor offer
Houston Langham Creek’s Paul Oyewale didn’t have much going for him recruiting wise when his senior season started.

But sometimes, when you put in the work, you will be rewarded for it. The 2022 defensive end has enjoyed a banner season and has become a bona fide Division I prospect. Baylor recently offered him.

“I think Baylor is a great school that offers a fantastic and huge chance to be successful on and off the field,’’ Oyedale said. “I’ve been talking to [James] Blanchard. He emphasizes that like likes my motor. He’s also been direct which is amazing.’’

With 19 commitments, Baylor can be selective for the final six spots for its 2022 class. But it never hurts to go after defensive linemen. Oyewale has other offers from SMU, Washington State, Marshall, Tulane, Duke and UNLV.

The relationship is just getting started. He said he plans to attend Baylor’s game on Nov. 13 against Oklahoma.

“As of right now I believe they are recruiting me for that DE spot,’’ he said. “But I think depending on how my body changes, they’ll put me at the best spot for the team. This season I’ve been working on my pad level and my ball get off.’’

His 6-4, 240 frame is thin. Of course, that can be manipulated by a Division I strength and conditioning program to mold him into the kind of defensive player that program needs him to be. Of his 56 stops, 43 have been solos. He’s also turned in 13 tackles for loss and three sacks.

While he was off the radar during his junior year and this past summer, he helped himself with his play. In turn, others helped him.

“I'm a player who runs after the football, that's all I am,’’ Oyewale said. “I think my combination of size and athleticism. Most importantly, though, my coaches have done a great job of developing me and getting my name out there, ultimately I couldn't have done it without them.’’

And he is making progress in his strength program. His personal best is 250 in the bench, 255 in the power clean and 500 in the squat.

Notable Texas visitors
No. 16/18 Baylor welcomes Texas to McLane Stadium for the 11:00 a.m. kickoff in a game that will feature very high emotions. It’s also going to be a big recruiting weekend for Dave Aranda’s program. Subject to change, these are the prospects who have told SicEmSports they plan to attend the game.

2022 Prospects

Kelsey Johnson, TE, Red Oak - Baylor commit

Coleton Price, OL, Bowie - Baylor commit

2023 Prospects

Derion Gullette, LB, Marlin

Christian Brathwaite, LB, Cy Ranch

Corey Kelly, LB, League City Clear Falls

Anthony White, Ath, Abernathy

Terrance Green, DE, Cy Woods

Zander Winter, LB, Pearland

2024 Prospects
Kobe Black, DB, Waco Connally

Bryan Jackson, Ath, McKinney

Maurice Williams, S, Shadow Creek

Q&A: Baylor LB Terrel Bernard
The senior and All-Big 12 performer met with the media to talk about facing Texas and where this defense is at.

(Third of three-straight home games, how important is it to win this one) Yeah, I think it's really important, kind of capping off this little homestretch that we’ve had. The guys are excited. We had some downtime, to get healthy, rest our bodies a little during the bye week, and everybody’s excited to be back and we’re excited to play.

(On giving up the chunk plays, is that a fixable thing) No, I wouldn’t say that. I think it’s just winning our one-on-ones. With BYU and Texas, they kind of do the same thing. They’re going to get us in heavy sets, trying to fit the run game up, and then try to isolate some of the guys on the outside. And it comes down to just winning your one-on-ones at that spot.

(Defend Texas RB Bijan Robinson) I think with elite execution and elite effort. He’s an elusive, powerful, shifty type of running back. All 11 have to rally to the ball and get him down. He’s probably one of the better backs that we’re going to see all year.

(Defended the run well the last 2 games, did you make some adjustments) I don’t think so. I think it’s more just doing our job. We talk about doing your 1/11th, and I think everybody’s been able to do that. When all gaps are accounted for, there’s nowhere to run. And then, whenever the ball comes into your gap, you’ve just got to make the play. And that’s what we’ve been doing well these past couple of weeks.

(Does that give you confidence that you have shut down a couple good backs) For sure. I think anytime you start progressing in one area, you feel more comfortable and more confident going into the next week. That’s how we feel about the run game right now. We know our jobs, we know what we’re doing, and then just getting all 11 guys to play as hard as they can to get the ball down. I think that’s probably the main, key factor in stopping the running.

(Have you petitioned to be the next linebacker to score on offense) I used to play running back in high school. I talked to Coach Juice a little bit, but no, I don’t think that’s in the cards for me. But that’s cool, though.

(Feel good after missing that game) Yeah, I feel good. It took a little while to kind of get it back under me to where it was 100%. Being on the bye week helped a lot, kind of just being able to rest and recover a little bit. But, I feel good, I’m ready to go.

(Was that a good time for the bye week) I think so. Anytime you’re going seven weeks in a row, it’s tough. And then just mentally, physically, everything, just kind of taking a break for a second. We came out and still worked. We put in a few days of good work, and then Friday, Saturday, Sunday, we kind of got away a little bit and got to get our minds back and focus for this last stretch. So, I think it came at a great time for us.

(Not having that Saturday measuring stick, how do you kind of get back into it) Well, I don’t think it really ever stops. Ever since we ended the BYU game, we kind of moved on to Texas. We weren’t doing as much, but guys are still up there watching tape, we’re still working out, still practicing and stuff. I think just taking it one day at a time during the bye week and preparing for what we’re going to see and what we’re going to face this upcoming week. So, I think it’s more of just having a little bit of extra time to be able to prepare.

(Are all running QBs the same) No, I think there’s a little bit of difference there. You’ve got some running quarterbacks that have designed runs, and then some guys that make stuff happen kind of outside of the pocket, the elusive types. And I would say he’s kind of the latter, so there’s not as much designed runs for him, it’s more he’s kind of making things happen when the play breaks down.

(Being in a three-way tie for 2nd with five games left, what’s the message) Yeah, I don’t think we’re focusing on that. We’re trying to go 1-0 this week, we’re putting one foot in front of the other and taking it one day at a time. And we’re getting ready to play Texas. We’re excited for the opportunity, obviously, but this week is the most important week in our season, so we’re getting ready to play.

(How do you keep Texas from jumping out like they have the past couple of games) I would say create negative plays. Like you said, they’ve started fast in pretty much every single one of their games. So, creating negative plays and just weathering the storm, knowing that they’re going to make their plays, just like we are. And then, going into halftime, kind of getting ourselves together, if need be. Making adjustments on what we need to do, and then coming out and just playing the best 30 minutes of football.

(Does it help that you went through it in 2019, to keep your blinders on and not be distracted by the polls, etc.) I think so. I think anytime you have experience in that area, it’s a good thing. We have a lot of guys that were on that team, so we’re not really focused on any of that. We’ve got a huge matchup coming up on Saturday that everybody’s excited for, and we’re working really hard for it. So, we’re excited.

(Are there similarities in those teams, with Baylor in 2019, in what makes those teams good and have success) Yeah, I think it comes down to the culture. The culture, and then guys just buying into the process. And I feel like we’ve done that. We’re all fully 100% committed to Coach Aranda and what he’s instilling and what he wants from us. And it’s finally coming to fruition, we’re seeing some success on the field, so I think that makes it even easier. I know all the guys are bought in, and we’re just having fun playing football right now.

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports releases its power rankings on the 10 members in the league. This is subject to change weekly
1. Oklahoma – Caleb Williams will take that from Kennedy Brooks
2. Oklahoma State – Trip to Ames burns the Cowboys again
3. Baylor – +6 in the turnover ratio for the season
4. Iowa State – Cyclones finally win that standup game
5. Texas – Opponents converting at 40 percent on 3rd down
6. West Virginia – Upset alert against Iowa State?
7. Kansas State – Safety vs. Texas Tech flipped that game
8. TCU – Patterson faces his alma mater in a game he desperately needs
9. Texas Tech – Let the coaching rumors swirl
10. Kansas – Score of year in 2021 – Half: Kansas 10, Oklahoma 0

Big 12 Weekend
A look at the Big 12 games for the upcoming weekend. All times are central. All games are on Saturday. Rankings are from the AP and Coaches poll. Games are in the order of when kick off. TV is listed. All 10 teams are in action.

Texas (4-3, 2-2) at No. 16/18 Baylor (6-1, 3-1); 11:00 a.m., McLane Stadium, Waco (ABC)
Series:
Texas leads, 79-27-4
Notable: A game that features two of the Big 12’s top running backs. Bijon Robinson leads with 924 yards. Baylor’s Abram Smith is third at 785.

No. 22/23 Iowa State (5-2, 3-1) at West Virginia (3-4, 1-3); 1:00 p.m., Milan Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, WV (Big 12 NOW on ESPN+)
Series:
West Virginia leads, 5-4
Notable: West Virginia’s Jarret Doege leads the Big 12 in passing yards (1,701). Iowa State’s Brock Purdy is second (1,648). Iowa State still leads in the Big 12 in total defense (263). West Virginia has struggled with its passing defense surrendering nearly 248 yards per game.

Texas Tech (5-3, 2-3) at No. 4/4 Oklahoma (8-0, 5-0); 2:30 p.m., Memorial Stadium, Norman, OK (ABC)
Series:
Oklahoma leads, 22-6
Notable: A weird game last week at Kansas where the Sooners scored all 35 of their points in the second half to win, 35-23. The Sooners, who lead the Big 12 at 41.8 points and 469 yards per game, welcome a Red Raider team in turmoil after Matt Wells was fired and Sonny Cumbie took over as the interim head coach.

TCU (3-4, 1-3) at Kansas State (4-3, 1-3); 2:30 p.m., Bill Snyder Family Stadium, Manhattan, KA (ESPNU)
Series:
Tied, 7-7
Notable: The Wildcats could have saved their season and bowl hopes with the rally win at Texas Tech last week. They started off conference play with losses to Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Iowa State. All three lead the Big 12. TCU is ninth in the Big 12 in total defense at 451 yards per game.

Kansas (1-6, 0-4) at No. 15/15 Oklahoma State (6-1, 3-1); 6:00 p.m., Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater, OK (FS1)
Series:
Oklahoma State, 40-29-3
Notable: While the Cowboys have stayed in the national polls for most of the year, they are actually ninth in the Big 12 in scoring at 25.7 points per game. Kansas is hoping to build some momentum when it led Oklahoma last week.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clairatt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News