ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Nov. 13, 2020

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper

Look for the NCAA recruiting dead period to continue through at least April 15, 2021. Earlier in the week, the NCAA oversight committee recommended that the dead period be extended to that time in the spring based on multiple reports.

The NCAA Council is expected to approve it at its Nov. 18 meeting. That would mean that coaches will not have had face-to-face contact with any recruits for more than a year. These dead period extensions began in March of this year shortly after the NCAA tournament was canceled.

What this also means is no junior day events like you would typically see in January, February and March. Baylor’s last Junior Day was March 1 of this year.

A Banner 2021 MBB signing class
According to Rivals Team Rankings, Scott Drew pulled in the No. 8 class in the country with the singings of 5-star forward Kendall Brown, 4-star forward Jeremy Sochan and 4-star guard Langston Love.

Brown is No. 14 in the Rivals 150. Love is No. 56. Sochan just missed the 150.

Here’s what one knowledgeable scout said about the class.

“The 2021 class brings tremendous potential across the floor. Size at each spot. Tough-minded guys that can play a variety of spot. Each bring a skillset to Waco that should impact Baylor from day one.

“I love what just each of the three could be and down the road, which should only see their improve thanks to the development-heavy approach seen at Baylor. It shows that Baylor can not only cultivate and develop talent and also win some of the bigger fights on the recruiting trail, but also that they can go against the best nationally and land elite talent. Throw it all together and Baylor’s stay in the national spotlight should not end after just this season.’’

Houston 2021 DE reacts to Baylor offer
Not that Pasadena Rayburn 2021 defensive end Je’lin Samuels would be accused of blocking out the sun, but he does bring a presence where some people have to look around him to see it.

With Baylor still in search of defensive linemen for its class, it recently offered the 6-7 raw talent who committed to SMU back on Oct. 1.

“It’s big time,’’ he said. “It meant a lot for them to offer me. I like their vibe. They’re cool people.’’

Samuels has been speaking with Baylor running backs coach Justin “Juice” Johnson and starting to develop a rapport. The Bears aren’t the only P5 program making a run. Arizona State, Colorado, Arkansas and Ole Miss have also offered.

For sure, Samuels is raw. But with his size and upside programs are willing to take the risk. Like any program, Baylor wants to mold him into their image in how they use defensive linemen.’’

“Coach Johnson was saying that they need defensive linemen,’’ Samuels said. “He was saying just how much he liked my motor and effort and size and frame and how much he would love for me to be a part of the family.

“For me, it’s natural instinct, athletic ability to move to the play, and 100% effort. I don’t excel at anything besides effort. I got a lot to learn man and that’s why I honestly believe that if I didn’t have the effort and hustle that I have then I wouldn’t be getting all these offers and looks.’’

One of the challenges Samuels has is with his height. For any tall lineman, learning to deal with that and using it to an advantage is a work in progress. It takes several years to understand the body and make it work.

“That’s actually one thing I’m really working on,’’ he said, “staying low and containing my gap. But I can say I’ve gotten way better with it thanks to tips my coach have given me with keeping my eyes at the [offensive lineman’s sternum.’’

A May graduate, Baylor couldn’t have Samuels on campus for this recruiting period. The only angle available is the virtual tour. That has not been scheduled.

Things can change. But Baylor and the other P5 programs will have some work to do in order to soften Samuel’s position with SMU. It’s going to have to be a full court push beyond just playing for the top level of college football.

“I’m pretty strong on SMU,’’ Samuels said. “They really did show everything I wanted. With Baylor, I do like their school. I see something and want to jump on it. We’ll see.’’

Baylor Players Talk Texas Tech
The Bears LB/DE William Bradley-King, center Xavier Newman-Johns and Jack LB Ashton Logan met with the media earlier in the week to talk about the matchup with Texas Tech and how they must overcome the loss of WLB Terrel Bernard.

William Bradley-King, LB/DE, Sr.
(Forcing turnovers) Take three (turnovers) moving, that’s something we live by. I love it. Those will just change the game. They’re the most important factor to it, special teams of course, getting takeaways and playing great defense.

(How much does a good pass rush help force turnovers) A great pass rush is what the defensive line is all about, making the quarterback uncomfortable, making him throw off that back leg, making him not seeing all his reads. That’s very important.

(Jake Burton) That’s my guy. Ever since he came, we were all about work. We were all about getting each other better. He comes to work every day. He’s the same person every day, he’s a pro about everything. That’s my guy. He talks to me about what makes it hard for an offensive lineman to block a defensive lineman. He gives me tips all the time. I have a lot of respect for him. I hope he keeps doing well.

(Losing Terrel) We just have a next man up mentality. I feel we have a lot of great athletes on this team. We have a lot of guys who are ready to step up. The whole defensive line, the back end, the linebackers, we need everybody’s energy.

(Facing Tech offense) We just have to stop the run first and then let them throw the ball. I know the back end will do its job because we work hand in hand. As long as they’re locking down the receivers two to three seconds, that gives the D-line enough time. That’s about the average time the quarterback holds the ball is 2.5 seconds.

(Tech QB change to Henry Colombi) Their offense is perfect for their quarterbacks. They spread them out and throw the ball out quick. He’s athletic. He may run every now and then. The scheme is just perfect for their quarterbacks.

(Not blaming offense for problems) It’s really just the beauty of football. You’re not going to win every game, you’re not going to lose every game. But as long as we keep our eyes on the prize and keep working that gate is going to be knocked down sooner or later.

(Team not looking ahead) It’s very important. It’s really our legacy before we leave. We want to be known as the toughest, most hardest working team on the field. We want every team to know that. Whether we’re down seven points, 21 points, we’re not going to stop, we’re not going to quit, we’re not going to give up. We just want every team to know that.

(What is the biggest transition for you from Arkansas State) I would probably say the speed of the game. In the Big 12 you see more high tempo offenses. But other than that, it’s football. It’s the same thing I’ve been doing for the past 15 years.

(Playing at this level) It’s everything. It just shows I’m always ready for the next step. I took going from Arkansas State to Baylor University as me taking the next step, and basically being like a free agent. Just coming somewhere new and not knowing anyone. Not knowing what the depth looks like at the position or how the people across from me are preparing. My hard work is showing.

Ashton Logan, Jack, Jr.
(How much does forcing turnovers help) I think that is very good especially with the DBs. I think that gives us a lot of confidence up front that we can get a lot of sack coverages when they’re playing well and have the receivers covered.

(How much does Joey McGuire harp on forcing turnovers) Coach McGuire stresses that every day, all day. He sends text messages to the whole team every day. That’s the most important thing for Coach McGuire.

(What does the rest of the defense have to with Terrel Bernard out) I think a lot of people have to step up and be more detailed.

(How much patience did you have first couple of years at BU) A lot of those guys really helped me with my maturity for this year and I’m very thankful for that.

(Overcoming adversity with Terrel out) With the new coaching staff, the new defense and us learning it, that was some adversity. With Terrel being gone, I just feel like a lot of guys have to show they’ve been working hard and finally prove themselves. It’s going to show a lot of hard work has paid off.

Q: What have you seen from Tech’s offense?
ASHTON: They’re a pass-first offense. I think last week, with the performance that our defensive backs had, is going to give our front a lot of time to get back there and pressure the quarterback. I think not giving him a lot of time to sit back there and pick apart the back will really help us a lot.

Q: Is Henry Colombi similar to a guy like Jett Duffy that you guys prepared for last year, that can give them a threat in the run game?
ASHTON: Oh yeah, I think he’s very similar to him. I don’t think he’s as quick to get out of the pocket. I think with him, sitting back there and having enough time is what makes him the quarterback that he is.

Q: On the Temple-Belton rivalry and that game not being played this year?
ASHTON: That game is probably one of the biggest games in high school history. Playing in that game is very legendary, and a lot of kids what to leave a mark in that game. I think not playing that game will really start up a lot of arguments for both sides of what could have or what shouldn’t have happened. So, there will just be a lot of talking on social media between both towns.

Q: At 1-4, how much has the team had to kind of grind through what’s happening and keep chopping wood, as Coach Aranda says, or staying with the process as Coach Rhule said?
ASHTON: I think with a lot of guys being from under Coach Rhule and dealing with this before is really helping some of the younger guys be able to stay positive, stay on course, stay working, and not letting this drag them down or have any doubts about the next year, the next week, anything of that. I think everybody is pushing to get better every day.

Q: How difficult was that shuffling between center and left guard? And do you feel more comfortable now, kind of settling in at left guard?
XAVIER: It wasn’t really too major, being the fact that I work both in practice. So, I know going into the game that I would be going back and forth. So, it wasn’t really a big thing. I think being at guard now is the best for the team, so it doesn’t matter to me.

Xavier Newman-Johnson, C, Sr.
Q: Adding Jake Burton to the team
XAVIER: I think Jake just added depth, him being at UCLA, him being a veteran. So, he’s been through the fire before, and I think we needed that coming into this year. We needed an extra guy that’s been through, that knows how to get through it. He’s played in there banged-up, so I think he’s been a great addition to our offensive line.

Q: Has his versatility helped out?
XAVIER: Oh yeah, it’s helped a lot. With the whole COVID thing, you know some guys might be out this week, out next week, so it’s good that we have a lot of people like Jake that can play different positions and have different roles that will help the team.

Q: With the sporadic practice time earlier in the year, with guys out, how much did that hurt the play on the field? And how much does it help that you guys have now had two or three consecutive weeks where you’ve been able to practice together as an O-line?
XAVIER: I think as an offensive line group, having five guys playing together consistently is a very important part. We had the whole COVID outbreak and people were in direct contact and getting COVID. That was kind of hard for us, because we weren’t able to practice as a group since I would say like fall camp. So, I would think these last few weeks, having everybody back and everybody together, that’s been really good for us as a group. And it’s just something I want to see us continue to do better and grow on.

Q: How much does Charlie Brewer still mean to this team offensively, despite the fact that the offense has struggled. What does he mean in that locker room?

XAVIER: Oh, Charlie means the world to us. He’s our quarterback, he’s our leader, and he’s everything you would want in a person on and off the field. He’s there for everybody whenever you need him. And he’s a great guy overall. He’s a pretty good guy.
Q: Do you build a little confidence from this last game, even though you lost?

XAVIER: Oh yeah, I would say we grew as a unit. As a group, there’s things that we talk about during the week that we’re going to focus on and we’re going to try to dominate during that week. And that was one of the things that we talked about a lot in our group, and for that to happen was pretty big for us. But, like we talked about, we just want to continue that and make it better than what it is and pick up new things that we need to work on, and continue doing those things.

Q: On working with O-line coach Joe Wickline?
XAVIER: I think it’s just him bringing his style of coaching and the way he loves the offensive line, the way he loves the position, just him bringing that to the room and allowing us to reach out and ask questions and learn stuff and pick up for our games. And I think it’s really helped us as a group, just to become better for the team as far as a unit.

Q: Having to use younger guys like Qualan Jones and Taye McWilliams, does that make you have to be even more diligent about creating holes in the running game?
XAVIER: Yeah, we’ve just been working real hard on our run game this week, trying to get better at that. And those guys have been putting in the work, Qualan, Taye, Trestan, J-Lovett, they’ve all been putting in that work and they’ve been getting better, because that’s something as an offense that we know we need to get better at it. So, it’s on everybody to come together to contribute to that.

Q: What stands out about Taye McWilliams when you watch him in practice?
XAVIER: He’s a hard runner. He’s a young guy, but I can see the willingness for him to get better and take coaching and provide for this team.

Big 12 Power Rankings
Each Week, SicEmSports has its power rankings throughout the course of the 2020 season. Agree or disagree, here they are. We’re repeating what we shared from this past Sunday.
1. Oklahoma State – Defense allows Cowboys to rally in Manhattan, KS
2. Iowa State – The Big 12 leaders by a half game over Oklahoma State
3. Oklahoma – Have hit 62 points in each of the last two games
4. Texas – One score or less has decided five of first six league games
5. West Virginia – Big 12’s top defense (271.0 ypg)
6. Kansas State – Haven’t scored more than 21 points in each of last three games
7. TCU – It’s been ugly but Horned Frogs have won the last two
8. Texas Tech – Shuffling QBs is never a good sign
9. Baylor – Bears last in the Big 12 in rushing (88 ypg)
10. Kansas – Have allowed the most sacks in the Big 12 (38)

Big 12 Weekend
A look at the conference games for this coming Saturday. All times are central. Games are listed in chronological order. Rankings are from the AP/Coaches poll. Television listings are provided. Only Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU and West Virginia are playing’

TCU (3-3, 3-3) at West Virginia (4-3, 3-3); 11:00 a.m., Milan Puskar Stadium, Morgantown, WV (FOX)
Series:
West Virginia leads, 5-4
Notable: WVU RB Leddie Brown is second in the Big 12 in rushing at 74 yards. Horned Frogs running game looking better at 184.5 ypg.

Baylor (1-4, 1-4) at Texas Tech (2-5, 1-5); 3:00 p.m., Jones AT&T Stadium, Lubbock (FS1)
Series:
Baylor leads, 39-38-1
Notable: Bears have won each of the last two meetings by one score. Abram Smith is expected to start at WLB for the injured Terrel Benard (shoulder). Red Raiders last in total defense (476.6 ypg).

Emptying the Notebook
>On Thursday evening Baylor offered Fort Bend Christian Academy offensive lineman Remington Strickland.
Strickland has been blowing up with a bunch of late offers. Most of his offers are from G5 programs. However, P5s have started to pick up interest with the Bears, Oklahoma, Michigan and Arkansas.
There is a Baylor connection. Former Baylor nose tackle Julian Jean-Baptiste is the defensive coordinator at Fort Bend Christian Academy.

>On Saturday, Pearland Shadow Creek 2021 LB Terrence Cooks is expected to announce his commitment decision. While Baylor is among his finalists, it is expected he will announce for Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News