ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: June 13, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Hasty ready for Oregon

When he got the news Wednesday that was heading to The Opening, Longview running back JaMaycal Hasty expressed both satisfaction and relief. With the event less than one month away, it wasn't clear if he was going to get his chance.

Hasty became the 149th invitee, who will be heading to Beaverton, OR in a few weeks to participate in the competition that runs July 5-9.

"I was excited, something I always wanted to participate in,'' Hasty said. "I knew the window was becoming slim.''

Hasty is Baylor's first commit to compete in the competition since Corey Coleman in 2012. The 5-8, 183-pound all-purpose back is rated No. 210 in the Rivals 250. This is a competition where one on one strength, agility, speed and quickness will be measured.

Winning is the goal. However, every athlete will express the gratification of competing as the best form of flattery. There's really not much Hasty can do to prepare for it except to just stick to his daily training regimen.

"I just want to showcase all of my skills as an athlete and show that I deserve to be there,'' he said. "Every athlete wants nothing but the best competition.''

Still, this is just another step on the journey before Feb. 4, 2015 when Hasty is expected to sign with Baylor. That's the ultimate prize. Going to Oregon in July provides a chance to be noticed on a national level.

"I'm just proud of myself and blessed to be in this situation,'' Hasty said. "The Opening means a lot but not as much as a D1 scholarship. My education is paid for and that's a lot of stress and heartache off myself and my parents. Nothing can top that.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Viva la France, Vital

Baylor 2016 commit, guard Mark Vital relocated from Lake Charles, LA to Dallas about two months and will be competing at Prime Prep Academy for the next two years. He's living with his coach Hellion "Boogie" Knight. Vital is currently playing the Southern Elite Family 17U team.

On Thursday, he traveled to Waco for an unofficial visit to Baylor before he heads off to France. On Friday, Vital travels with the USA Elite 20U team for a 7-game, 9-day visit to Paris and surrounding parts. But there won't be a lot of sightseeing. He'll see more gyms than the Eiffel Tower.

"It's a great opportunity for him to play in something like this,'' Knight said. "This is just another chance for him to play against great competition and just keep working on all of the little things like his shooting and ball handling. His game is really growing.''

Vital committed to Baylor on Sept. 3, 2013 and has maintained a strong relationship with the Bears coaching staff. His 6-5 frame and wingspan can ultimately lead to him becoming a true inside-outside type of wing. He's coming off a very solid performance at the Pangos All-American camp last week in Long Beach, CA.

"He's just taking the momentum he had out there and trying to keep it going,'' Knight said. "He's been really fun to watch. And he'll get better.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Other basketball tidbits

>As we mentioned Texas Select 2016 guard D.J. White (6-5) from Baton Rouge (LA) University and 2016 forward Amari McCrary from Ruston had what was described as very successful unofficial visits. Baylor did not offer either but given the way things went, it seems more of a matter of when the coaching staff will extend.

>Plano Prestonwood center Schnider Herard's guardian Derrick Shelby said he has been in contact with the Baylor coaches about setting up a visit sometime soon. The 6-10 Herard is spending this weekend at the Nike 100 in St. Louis. Baylor hasn't offered yet, but you would have to presume that once the visit is scheduled and should it go well, then an offer will come. We'll keep you posted.

>Baylor is also interested in 2017 guard Cedric Russell (6-2, 170), who plays for the Southern Elite Family 15U team. The staff and would also like to get him on campus for a visit, Knight said. There's also interest from LSU and Vanderbilt on the native of Alexandria, LA.

-Kevin Lonnquist

2016 DE talks offer

Houston MacArthur 2016 strongside defensive end Isaiah Chambers had a pretty solid offer list going before Baylor jumped into his recruiting.

He held those from Oklahoma, Arkansas and Arizona State among others. Still, when Baylor assistant coach Carlton Buckels extended the offer last week, it wasn't something Chambers was expecting.

"[Buckels] told my coach and it caught me by surprise,'' he said. "But I'm trying to treat all of the offers just the same. I know my recruiting is just getting started, so I want to appreciate where I'm at and what it all means.''

Chambers (6-4, 245) offers a wingspan that's probably as long as his height. He really hasn't measured it but thinks it is close to that. He also believes that it will continue to extend. That's why schools are interested. When a defensive end can create that kind of problem for quarterback trying to throw through windows, it gets more and more intriguing.

The goal in 2014 is for Chambers to play on both strong side and weak side. That kind of rotation can only help his game. As for visiting Baylor, there's a chance he will visit on the Bears' July 18 camp.

"It's a little overwhelming right now,'' he said. "But I just have to stay focused on playing. I still have some time to figure this out.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Jared Mayden update

Sachse defensive back Jared Mayden values the relationship he has with his position coach. So when he attended Baylor's camp on June 6 in Lake Highlands, he worked with Baylor defensive backs coach Carlton Buckels.

Mayden (6-0, 187) already holds 20 offers. But Baylor was his first. Hence, that's why he appeared at Lake Highlands.

"Baylor definitely helped itself,'' Mayden said. "The way the coaches were instructing and the drills they were doing were really suitable to the things I do. You always want the chance to get better.''

But the occasional one-on-one connection with Buckels seemed to take that a step further. Mayden said he liked the way he interacted with the Bears defensive backs coach throughout the evening.

"It was great working with him,'' Mayden said. "He has a style of talking you and helping that I like. It fits me.''

Mayden said he's nowhere close to making any kind of decision when it comes to narrowing lists or any kind of commitment decision. If he visits Baylor, he said it likely will be when the Bears open McLane Stadium on Aug. 31 against SMU.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Johnson trying to remain patient

Standing 6-5, weighing 308 pounds -- both numbers officially measured at a combine -- and running a reported sub-5.0 in the 40, it's hard to believe 2015 Garland Lakeview Centennial DT Jordyn Johnson doesn't have at least one offer yet. Just ask him.

"I feel disrespected that I don't have any offers," Johnson told me. "There are guys I know that I'm better than that have offers."

Johnson is making the rounds on the camp circuit, trying to impress recruiters and sway them into an offer. He went to one of Baylor's camps last weekend and felt good about his performance. Baylor DL coach Chris Achuff has been by Centennial to evaluate Johnson.

"They came to my school and they said they came just for me," he said. "They said they're looking for another d-linemen in this class. I told the coach I can be their guy."

Johnson's a guy to keep an eye on. He obviously has the measurables, but no program is yet to pull the trigger. I'll keep in touch with him in case that changes.

-Jake Shaw

Coppell OL and option

Baylor likely has one more offensive line spot for its 2015 class. Coppell 2015 offensive tackle Connor Williams (6-5, 271) has 26 offers to this point. And while Baylor may be a little late joining this recruitment, the Bears are no means really behind.

Williams said he has been talking with offensive line coach Randy Clements. The two sides appear to be off to a good start. That started when Clements made the on-campus evaluation back in May and offered.

"He just visited and liked what he saw,'' Williams said. "I know he wants me as a tackle like most of the other schools. Baylor is a great school but I want to learn more about them.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the notebook

>Mesquite Poteet 2015 LB Malik Jefferson, rated No. 19 in the Rivals 100, told Rivals that he does plan to take an unofficial visit to Baylor this summer. He also has plans to visit UCLA and USC.

>In case you had not figured it out yet, you can pretty much cross Aledo ath Ryan Newsome[/URL] off the list for Baylor. There really has not been a lot of contact between the two sides in several weeks.

>With Cedar Hill LB DaMarkus Lodge, ranked No. 39 in the Rivals 100, set to announce next Thursday, there is the thinking that the two could commit to the same school. But that's not a definite. Lodge seems like he is going SEC with Texas A&M, LSU and Ole Miss. As for Moore, it looks like this is a race between Baylor, Texas A&M, Iowa and TCU according to one person familiar with this race. The Horned Frogs appear to be making a late charge. Although you get the feeling Baylor's position has changed (not for the better), you never know what the next week will bring. Remember, Baylor was the first school to offer Moore. Sometimes, that matters to recruits.

>Former Bear great 1B Max Muncy, who is with Oakland's AA team in Midland has been named to the Texas League All-Star game next month in Little Rock. Muncy is currently hitting .278 with 3 HR and 28 RBIs.

>With Baylor pretty tight at defensive line (end or tackle it really doesn't matter), Canton 2015 DE Sam Miller said he will remain in contact with the Baylor coaching staff. Now, he doesn't have a Baylor offer. And it's a pretty good bet that the odds are long that he will get one. Still, things can change and that's why Baylor likely will not close this door. Miller (6-4, 220) has 10 D1 offers, most notably from Kansas State and Oregon State.

>Expect the playing surface at McLane Stadium to be installed within the next 10-12 days, the Baylor sports information office tweeted.

>Ground breaking for the Beaumont Athletic Nutrition Center (BANC) should occur something this fall. The $6 million complex will sit in front of the Simpson Center and the Allison Indoor Practice Facility.

>As the NBA draft approaches Cory Jefferson is expected to work out for the Charlotte Bobcats on Friday. The draft is slated for June 26.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News