ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: July 29, 2022

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper – Baylor 2022 roster notes

In going through Baylor’s 2022 roster against the potential returners from the 2021 roster, there were some changes. However, nothing of great significance.

From 2021, running back Jonah White is no longer listed as well as defensive tackle Dakota Doyle-Robinson. Apparently, both just left the program.

Offensive lineman Jackson Kimble medically retired as did defensive back Brandon White. Wide receiver Jackson Gleeson graduated.

Also of note, 2022 signee Kaian Roberts-Day is listed as a tight end. That’s consistent from what he said prior to arriving when he said Baylor coaches saw him as an H-Back/Tight end. Defensive lineman TJ Franklin has dropped 25 pounds from 290 to 265.

Full at the position…or not
Baylor’s 2023 class in a great position with 23 commits and is No. 12 nationally. Of those, there are four who have committed at either safety or defensive back.

The coaching staff doesn’t have to go any further for that part of the defense. But in the case of Lewisville defensive back Caden Jenkins, an exception could be made. He’s been at Baylor a couple of times, most recently the June 24 camp.

Jenkins has developed a pretty solid rapport with the coaching staff including defensive backs coach Kevin Curtis. But his return to Waco on Saturday at the recruit/valued targets event on Saturday could be the defining point as to whether Baylor would be willing to add a fifth. Remember, Franklin athlete Bryson Washington is coming as a running back even though Rivals has him listed as a safety.

When Jenkins went through the camp, Baylor defensive coordinator Ron Roberts apparently was not available to take a look for himself. Well, all parties be present if there is something to this or not.

“At this moment we are building a relationship so I really can’t say what it’s like,’’ Jenkins said. “We have discussed where I will fit on the team and if all goes as planned how soon I could see the field. [Curtis] seems really interested in me and my abilities and what he feels I can bring to the defense.’’

So have other programs. Jenkins definitely has the length to play a great cover corner at 6-1. On July 4, he named a Top 5 of Baylor, Arkansas, Iowa, SMU and Oregon State.

In nine games with the Fighting Farmers in 2021, he recorded 60 tackles (44 solo) and 13 PBUs.

“Coach Curtis’ message to me basically is he wants me,’’ Jenkins said. “They only have a spot for me if I want it. If not, they are basically full at the position.’’

Camp Finale/Commit Event
Baylor hosts its final camp of the summer on Saturday and will then hold a special event for its commits and top targets later in the day.

As for the commit event, the only known members of the 2023 class who have confirmed they will not be there are Mesquite Horn defensive back DJ Coleman, Arlington Lamar offensive lineman Isaiah Robinson and Arizona tight end Matthew Klopfenstein. Baton Rouge (LA) defensive back Carl Williams IV said he’s probably going to be there.

Here are several of the prized targets who are expected to be at Baylor. As always, this is a working list that is subject to change.

Note: Baylor was his first offer and the rapport between he and the staff has been strong pretty much ever since. You could argue that it may be a matter of time before he’s one of the members of the 2024 class.

Note: The Rivals National No. 32 prospect has really come to enjoy the coaching staff. When he came to the April 10 scrimmage he locked on to BU middle linebacker Dillon Doyle. Doyle should be ready to go for the upcoming season after suffering a pretty tough ankle injury during the wrestling season.

Note: Your publisher knows him pretty well from Aledo radio. I expect him to receive a Baylor offer. Keys already has offers from Oklahoma, Oklahoma and Arkansas among his first 10. He’s played LB and RB for the Bearcats. One of the most physical players Aledo’s defense has had. I expect him to see time on both sides of the field in 2022 but maybe a little more at RB. Solid player who is only going to get better and may be next in the series of greats that Aledo has produced in the lines of receiver JoJo Earle and running back Jace McClellan.

Note: It’s pretty clear what Baylor thinks of this Rivals250 prospect. He’s coming for the camp but may be asked to stick around for the event afterwards. There’s a solid relationship building between him and Baylor DB coach Kevin Curtis.

Note: Baylor took a liking to him in the June camp series on June 24 and wants him to return. When he ran a laser at 4.4 that made a difference. The key is the length he brings to couple with that speed. It’s a combination that’s hard to find.

Note: The incoming teammate of Baylor wide receiver commit Micah Gifford. He was offered during the camp series with a ton of upside. Baylor wants to make sure Wilson knows where he stands with it.

Note: This is for the camp. Baylor and Texas A&M are the first two to offer him. Stewart came to Baylor’s spring game on April 23. He mentioned back then that the offense Frisco Centennial deploys is similar to Baylor’s approach. Stewart has already rushed for 1,838 yards (838 in 2020 and 996 in 2021) and 14 touchdowns in his first two seasons.

Note: What’s going to be interesting at the camp is what positions Baylor wants him to work. It could be several. Given his talent – especially in the secondary – he could be a candidate for there.

Note: He visited in May and is coming back to camp on Saturday. Baylor likes him at safety and the Star position.

Mikah Hunt, WR, Sherman, 6-2, 185, 2025
Note:
Never too early to start. Don’t be surprised for him to get a Baylor offer once this is over. Hunt was not on the varsity in 2021. However, he’s ready to break through this year. An offer would not be surprising as Baylor has already done that in several cases this year.

Liam Riley, LB, WR, Weatherford, 5-11, 185, 2026
Note:
Never too early to get them going. Interesting player who could make the Kangaroo varsity roster this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News