ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: July 19, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Filling the final few holes
With Jarell Broxton now in the fold, it appears Baylor might be done recruiting the offensive line. The class is now 20 strong. With 20 scholarship seniors on the roster -- plus Lache Seastrunk, a very strong candidate to leave early -- that would create just 21 spots for the 2014 class. But as we see every offseason, players -- no matter how you decide to phrase it -- transfer out of the program.

Because of that, the 2014 class probably has room for anywhere from three to five more recruits. Below are the guys I think Baylor both needs and has the best chances of landing, ranked in order of the likelihood that Baylor gets them. Get all these guys in and it's an incredible class. Get these guys PLUS someone like Solomon Thomas, and this class is legendary

>K.D. Cannon -- I get the feeling he's really enjoying the recruiting process. If/when he's ready to "settle down," I give Baylor the best chances of landing him. He's been to Waco many times and has an awesome relationship with the Baylor staff, particularly Kendal Briles.

>Randall Cunningham Jr -- Baylor and LSU are his favorites. But with Brandon Harris committing to LSU yesterday, Baylor should take the lead. We'll get in touch with him soon to find out more.

>Christian Sam -- Like RCII, Sam has two favorites, though his are Baylor and Tech. As hard as Baylor is recruiting him, I give Baylor a slight edge.

>Cedric Johnson -- Another player with Baylor among his two favorites. Oklahoma State is the other for Johnson, though Kansas State is trying to creep into the picture.

>John Bonney -- I'd have him higher up the list -- because Baylor really, really wants him -- but he has so many options right now that Baylor has a ton of competition.

>John Plattenburg -- He's now teammates with Bonney after moving back to Houston after living in California for a couple of years. Baylor really likes Plattenburg, but with two CBs committed (Chad Adams and Jourdan Blake), Baylor could stand to lose out on him more so than the other prospects.

-Jake Shaw

Boone, meet Baylor
Cleburne 2015 DT Tevin Boone doesn't know much about Baylor, but that should start changing Friday at Baylor's final camp.

"I really haven't heard much from them so far," he said Thursday, "but I'm going to their camp."

Boone said he looks forward to finding out more about Baylor, the campus, and how the coaches conduct a practice. But asked what he looks forward to most, it's showing off his traits to Baylor with the hope of making a big impression.

"I just want to show them how quick I am -- the way I use my hands and come off the ball with my speed," he said.

Boone has a lot of family in Georgia and grew up a fan of UGA. He plans to make the trip there later this summer to see some family and check out their campus. He says location isn't that important -- "My parents, they'll go anywhere," he said. "If I go, they'll go."

But Boone admitted he's fond of the state and would be happy to stay in Texas. If Baylor does want to pick up its interest in Boone, today would be a good day to start.
- Jake Shaw

Baylor's academics a big draw for Hill
Though he's only headed into his junior season, Saginaw Boswell DT Dominic Hill has already thought through his post-college plans. You can find out a lot about his character after hearing him talk about his future.

"I have a lot of options -- I used to want to do anesthesiology, but now I'm thinking of becoming a child's nurse," he said. "That's always been my thing -- helping people. After those two jobs, I'd thought about being a firefighter or a cop. I just enjoy helping people."

Well, not everyone. Hill troubled a lot of opposing offensive linemen last year, making the all-district team as a sophomore. He also started as a freshman in 2011.

Hill said he hasn't paid too much attention to recruiting. He's been focusing on working out, and he also works part-time at Spring Creek BBQ. He says he'll talk with his recruiting coordinator more this fall to guide him through the process.

But he has thought enough to come up with a top three: Baylor, Texas Tech and Texas A&M.

"They're great football programs, and I see that they have a good family atmosphere," he said. "And Baylor has a good medical program that I'm interested in."

I'll get back in touch with Hill later this season for an update.
-Jake Shaw

Platt's love of track

When Baylor secured Willis WR Chris Platt's commitment on Feb. 3, the coaching staff loved him for being the quintessential slot option. But the love for his speed sealed it.

The UIL Class 4A three-time state champion in the 400 ? he's one of only five players in Texas high school history to win the event successively ? just developed a knack for running fast and for long distances. His times have come down as he has matured mentally and physically. He ran 47.34 seconds in 2011, 47.06 in 2012 and 46.64 in 2013.

"I get off the block pretty quickly but I think I can run really fast for a long period of time,'' Platt said. "I really wasn't at looking at doing the 400 until late in middle school when one of the other runners on our [4x400] relay team got hurt, and the coaches asked me to run that leg. It's really been great.''

This summer, Platt divided his time between playing 7-on-7 and running track. Most of his track events were in Texas except for one two weeks ago that was held in Illinois. In the meantime, the Willis players have gathered on their own to develop some chemistry.

Willis suffered through a rough 2-8 season. The Wildkats passing game has to be better in a demanding district 18-4A that features perennial power Brenham.

"We're just really focusing on each other and drive each other,'' Platt said. "We have to be better.''

Platt's popularity from other Big 12 schools has grown with offers Kansas, Kansas State and Texas Tech. But there's something to be said about the relationship built with Baylor assistant Kendal Briles. The Bears were the first to offer. Platt said he plans on attending Friday's camp in Waco. It's uncertain if he will work out as he already did so in June. He also plans on attending a practice.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Zimmerman talks growth; facing Isaiah Austin

Baylor recruiting Las Vegas isn't new. In fact, Baylor recruiting Bishop Gorman is starting to become quite common.

In addition to pursuing quarterback Randall Cunningham Jr., the Bears have offered 2015 7-0 center Stephen Zimmerman. The big man is currently on a whirlwind July tour. Last weekend, he was at the addidas Invitationa in Indianapolis. This weekend, he's in Milwaukee with his team, Dream Vision, for the Super Jam. This why Baylor offered him:

At the tournament, he averaged about 12 points, 12 rebounds 6.5 blocks per game. And he said he probably could have scored more.

And for those who think a 7-0 junior would give some programs a tendency to let up because of perceived awkwardness, no way. Zimmerman is very comfortable playing in his size.

"I've always been coordinated,'' he said. "I never really had to feel like I had to take some time so I could fit in.''

Zimmerman stood 6-0 in 6th grade, 6-3 in 7th, 6-6 in 8th and 6-10 as a sophomore. But the spurt allowed him to play against some of the better prep players in the country at an early age. He played with Baylor's Isaiah Austin at an All-American 8th grade camp along with former Kentucky star Archie Goodwin.

"He was very demanding, but he was also a great help,'' Zimmerman said. "I know he helped me play a lot better.''

The attention isn't bad for someone who just took up the game at age 11. He recently picked up Indiana and Notre Dame offers. But Baylor has made an impact.

"I like the coaches and you can see they are playing at a great level,'' Zimmerman said. "I like their system and how their big men fit into it. But the big thing is that they also know how to win.''

The goal this summer is to return to the AAU national tournament in Las Vegas at the end of July. Plans to travel for unofficial visits have yet to be determined. When he does, programs will make way for him.

"I know I pretty much jumped into basketball,'' he said. "When I was in 8th grade, I also faced [former UCLA star] Shabazz Muhammad. That was pretty hard. And I got a little bullied. But it's helped me take my physical play to the next level.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

McQuaide and 300

Duncanville 2015 shooting guard Matt McQuaide already carries a great reputation as a sharp shooter. But he wants to be known for more than that.

"I'm really trying to be more aggressive to the room,'' he said. "There has to be more to my game.''

But it's hard not to like the work ethic he puts into the game. Every day, he won't leave until he has made 300 field goals. It really doesn't matter how he gets there. He just makes it a point to get there.

For instance, McQuaide will divide the makes into 100 form 3s and 200 2s or vice versa. He'll also break up the workout into different stages. And before he moves on, he must five consecutive free throws.

At 6-5, 175, Baylor has offered McQuaide and likely will be watching him at the Great American Shootout in Duncanville this weekend.

Of the top 100 Texas recruits, about 70 are expected to be there including Prime Prep's Emmanuel Mudiay.

For McQuaide, the work has transcended to offers from the Bears, Virginia Tech, Texas A&M, Creighton, Lehigh, Boise State, Oklahoma, Kansas State, Alabama and Western Kentucky. As thin as he is, McQuaide knows schools are more impressed with what they see beyond the shooting.

"The coaches have told me that I had surprising athleticism and liked how I could move on the dribble,'' he said. "But they can see I can play some point if they need me to.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

SicEmSports Preseason All-Big 12 Conference Team

This is how your publisher voted for the team that the conference released on Wednesday. Admittedly, I blew it on not putting Bryce Hager on the defense. But I just have to own that.

Offensive Player of the Year:
Lache Seastrunk, Baylor, RB

Defensive Player of the Year: Devonte Fields, TCU, DL

Newcomer of the Year: Andrew Billings, Baylor

Offense

QB - David Ash, Texas

RB - Lache Seastrunk, Baylor

RB - John Hubert, Kansas State

WR - Brandon Carter, TCU

WR - Josh Stewart, Oklahoma State

OL - Cyril Richardson, Baylor

OL - Trey Hopkins, Texas

OL - Cornelius Lucas, Kansas State

OL - Gabe Ikard, Oklahoma

C - B.J. Finney, Kansas State

PK - Jaden Oberkrom, TCU

PR - Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

Defense

DL - Devonte Fields, TCU

DL - Jackson Jeffcoat, Texas

DL - Kerry Hyder, Texas Tech

DL - Calvin Barnett, Oklahoma State

LB - Caleb Lavey, Oklahoma State

LB - Jordan Hicks, Texas

LB - Corey Nelson, Oklahoma

DB - Jason Verrett, TCU

DB - Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma State

DB - Ahmad Dixon, Baylor

DB - Ty Zimmerman, Kansas State

P - Spencer Roth, Baylor

KR - Ty Lockett, Kansas State

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the notebook

>We are nearing the start of football workouts. Players report on Aug. 4. The first practice is Aug. 5.

>Mesquite Poteet Verkedric Vaughns still plans to come to Baylor camp on Friday. The Bears are still looking for a couple of defensive backs for the 2014 class.

>There is also some hope that South Grand Prairie defensive back Jason Hall will also attend the camp. Recently, his father shared with us that they planned on attending. Two weeks ago, Hall de-committed from Nebraska.

>In following up with now Houston Lamar defensive back John Plattenburg, he told us he would be unable to attend Friday's camp.

>However, 2015 Longview RB JaMycal Hasty is planning on attending.

>At this point, it would be hard to know where Pasadena Memorial athlete Reggie Turner would fit into Baylor's 2014 plans. He maintains he will attend Baylor's camp searching for an offer.

-SicEmSports

Baylor Blitz: July 19, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News