ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Jan. 9, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
Note: Rivals analysts are meeting next week to go through the final rankings and ratings for the 2015 class. It's believed the final rankings will be released the week of Jan. 19. While we will not know the results of these rankings until they are released, your publisher went to bat for several Baylor commits. To protect the integrity of this process, I cannot disclose on whose behalf I lobbied. So we'll see what happens.

Ukwuachu plans

Everything points to Pearland defensive end Sam Ukwuachu being a part of the Baylor football program in 2015. While he wasn't on the 2014 roster because of personal reasons, he remained a member of the program.

A person familiar with the situation said that Ukwuachu is expected to go through spring football when the Bears begin that later this year. Baylor has not announced when spring football will start.

While not confirmed, it's believed that Ukwuachu may not lose a year of eligibility. He transferred to Baylor in the summer of 2013 after playing his freshman year at Boise State. A sophomore, Ukwuachu had to sit out during Baylor's first run toward a Big 12 championship.

His return should help with depth. Junior Shawn Oakman said last week he planned to return to Baylor for his senior year. But Ukwuachu could see a decent number of snaps as Jamal Palmer continues to rehab from the torn ACL he suffered in the 21-7 victory at Texas on Oct. 4. It's unlikely Palmer could be ready for spring drills. Recovery from reconstructive ACL surgery is at least six months.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Lynch ready

The depth of Blake Lynch's commitment to Baylor began when he committed to the Bears in October, 2013. Lynch committed to the Bears when he was then a budding star at Troup.

A severe arm injury ended his 2013 season. A two-way star, Lynch then transferred to Gilmer where he helped the Buckeyes go 16-0 and capture the Class 4A Division II state championship.

He collected 2,220 total offensive yards (1043 receiving, 888 rushing, 289 passing) and 38 total touchdowns. Lynch said shortly before he arrived at Baylor Thursday that the coaches still plan to play him at wide receiver. But he also wasn't bad on defense forcing seven turnovers with three interceptions and four fumble recoveries.

"I'm just ready to get started and be with my teammates,'' said Lynch who graduated from Gilmer in December. "The biggest thing I need to work on is my route running.''

There were some overtures from Florida State in the early part of the 2014 season. However, Lynch never wavered. In fact, it may have only strengthened his commitment to the Bears.

"It's excited to live out a dream,'' Lynch said. "I'm blessed to have this opportunity.''

Lynch is still nursing a strained left hamstring he suffered in the state championship game against West Orange-Stark. He incurred it on a screen pass that went for 67 yards. Lynch said the hamstring was still tight and sore. Obviously, Baylor's training staff should be able to put together a program so he can recover and be ready for the spring football season.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Brandon Bowen: An Evaluation

I had the chance to watch Trophy Club Byron Nelson 2016 athlete Brandon Bowen play in a basketball game on Tuesday (Jan. 6) when the Bobcats faced Justin Northwest.

He's 6-6, 230 and runs about a 4.5 40. He said he doesn't know his vertical but estimates it to be about 40 inches.

He is Byron Nelson's first man off the bench and the athleticism is apparent. That vertical appears legit because he was able to sky for several rebounds or try to keep a ball in play as he was going out of bounds.

But the most impressive thing about him is his hands. They are big. When he holds a basketball to shoot free throws, the ball disappears. And he moves really well. I didn't see any stiffness. He's pretty fluid. If you remember what Davion Hall looks like, Bowen could be mistaken as a relative. To me Bowen has the same frame as Hall but is thicker.

"I know they are one of the things I have going for me,'' Bowen said. "If I'm playing wide receiver, I have a better chance to catch the ball. If I'm playing defensive end, they'll help me move linemen out of the way.''

Baylor offered Bowen in mid-December.

"It was funny because [coach Brian Polk] called me out of class into his office and told me Baylor was here,'' he said. "I then went into this next room and met coach [Art] Briles and [Jeff] Lebby. When they said, "we're offering you,'' I was pretty shocked. But it's great feeling.''

At this point, Baylor hasn't pinpointed a position for Bowen. If it were me, I think Bowen could be a great defensive end.

"I think my first step is something that really came along for me,'' Bowen said. "I really wanted to become a good pass rusher. I think I did that.''

Bowen attended the Baylor-TCU and Baylor-Kansas games and has his invitation for the Jan. 31 junior day.

"I've only seen the stadium and nothing else,'' Bowen said. "So I'm ready to see everything on the campus and what the program is like off the field.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Solid with Baylor, Stricklin set to represent USA

The last two Baylor players who suited up in red, white and blue went on to have distinguished careers. That bodes well for 2015 commit Devontre Stricklin.

This week, the Waco Midway receiver was named to the U-19 Team USA, which will face Canada at UT-Arlington's Maverick Stadium on Feb. 7. He follows in the footsteps of Tevin Reese and Bryce Petty, who both played for the team in 2010. Blake Mahon and Ishmael Zamora played in the 2014 game.

"It caught me off guard a little bit," Stricklin said of his inclusion on the roster. "I was walking down the hallway and a teacher said 'congrats,' and I said 'What are you talking about?' I didn't think any of it. In my off period, a coach told me, Stricklin, did you hear? I said no, but I've heard a lot of congrats from people, so it must be good. He told me I was selected for the team. I was pretty excited."

Stricklin wasn't really sure how his name even was considered for the team -- "I guess they looked at film from my senior year" -- but that it's a "big honor that I take a lot of pride in." He'll head up to Dallas on the first of February and stay with the team through its game.

That means his signing day ceremony will take place in the DFW area along with the rest of the squad, which includes other major commitments like Kyler Murray (Texas A&M) and Jalen Guyton (Notre Dame).

But rest assured, Stricklin will sign with Baylor despite some overtures from TCU and Texas Tech, who both came at him pretty hard during Stricklin's impressive senior season.

"I had to tell a couple people no, because I'm loyal to my word," he said. "If I say I'm with Baylor, I'm sticking to my word."
-Jake Shaw

Mass marketing worked

If he chooses Business as his major in college, Murrieta (CA) Mesa's Nathan Smith (6-7, 265) should breeze through his marketing class.

The 2016 prospect used a marketing 101 funnel tool to try and catch school's attention about how he plays offensive tackle. When he sent out his film to Division I programs across the country, he caught Baylor's attention.

A couple of conversations with offensive line coach Randy Clements in the fall were followed by more film evaluation. It then culminated into a call this week when Smith talked to Clements and was told Baylor had offered him.

"The two things he told me were that I never stopped blocking. I finish my blocks,'' Smith said. "He said he also liked my mean streak.''

Obviously, the footwork had to start the selling point for Smith, who is still pretty new learning the position. As a sophomore, he split time at defensive end with the varsity. But he didn't see the field much and the coaching staff moved him to the junior varsity. Instead of staying on the defense, Smith wanted to try offensive tackle.

The 2014 offseason showed a determined work ethic. Smith went from weighing 205 to 265. He didn't attend any college summer camps but he worked constantly on his feet. And then he started dominating the competition during the season. He said he allowed only two sacks.

Although Mesa went 4-6, that move has paid off because Missouri, Montana State and Northern Arizona have offered. However, don't let that fool you. Smith said he's been talking quite a bit with Arizona State and national finalist Oregon. But it makes sense that programs like Baylor have offered because Mesa runs a no huddle spread without a tight end.

Smith has been invited to Baylor's Jan. 31 junior day but isn't sure if he can make it. If nothing else, he plans to visit Texas either during spring break or in the summer.

"The recruiting process is a bit mindboggling,'' Smith said. "But I'm trying to be as calm as I can about it. I love playing offensive tackle and taking on assignments. I want to do well every play.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Next Level Athlete Event

The 2015 North Texas 100 event is scheduled for Sunday morning at Hurst L.D. Bell High School.

The invitation only event will feature several Baylor 2016 and 2017 Baylor prospects including Wylie East 2017 running back Eno Benjamin (Baylor interest) Sachse 2016 DB Jared Mayden (Baylor offer and recently put Baylor in his top 5), Waco 2016 DB Eric Cuffee (Baylor interest) and Waco Midway 2016 defensive back Cairo Attaway (Baylor interest).

Several others were invited but cannot make it led by Grandview QB and Baylor 2016 commit Zach Smith, Plano Prestonwood 2016 LB Deonte Williams and South Grand Prairie 2017 Ath Jeffrey Okudah (Baylor interest).

It follows a combine format but couples several position drills as well as 1-on-1 competition. There will be an event for South Texas players on Jan. 18 at Houston Kinkaid.

Of course, the Rivals camp series is getting closer. We'll let you know all of the particulars of the Texas events once they have been finalized.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Rankings

Each week, SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams based on expectations and performance. Ratings always vary. Agree or disagree, there's nothing like finding out who is ranked where. These rankings are through the regular season. We present our final rankings for the 2014 season.

1. TCU - Horned Frogs defense ate Ole Miss in the Peach Bowl

2. Baylor - Finish the Cotton Bowl against Michigan State and the Bears are No. 1; nonetheless another epic season

3. Kansas State - Late rally in the Alamo Bowl against UCLA falls short

4. Oklahoma - Bob Stoops trying to re-tune the offensive by firing his co-offensive coordinators

5. Oklahoma State - Freshman QB Hunter Mason appears to be the real deal

6. West Virginia - Instability at QB caused a promising season to spiral

7. Texas - The Longhorns are putting together a strong 2015 class; QB is a concern

8. Texas Tech - Red Raiders need a lot of help in the defensive line

9. Kansas - David Beaty trying to build a new vision in Lawrence

10. Iowa State - The recruiting goal for the 2015 class is to find playmakers

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>Richmond Travis LB Eric Ogor said Thursday that he has set an official visit with Baylor for Jan. 23. That's the weekend when the 2015 class will gather along with some other non-committed recruits (Houston Lamar DB Holton Hill and possibly Gilmer DB Kris Boyd). Ogor spoke with defensive coordinator Phil Bennett who told him to be patient about an offer. An in-home visit is expected late next week.

>Manvel 2016 Ath D'Eriq King received his invite to the Baylor Junior Day on Jan. 31. It's unclear if he will be attending.

>One additional note about Navarro linebacker and former Baylor 2014 commit James David. He actually redshirted and didn't play in 2014. However, But I was told that if David graduates early, that would set him up to be available for 2016. There is a lot of academic work that is involved here.

>I asked one person about Dallas Bishop Dunne DT Darrion Daniels and where he stands. The first thing this person said was, "Darrion is not going to Baylor.'' No surprise but that also gives you the other side.

>We expect both offensive linemen Devonte Jones and Dominic Desouza to arrive at Baylor on Saturday.

>As the basketball team prepares to play at TCU Saturday in Fort Worth, it's worth noting Baylor may be looking at another shooting guard for the 2015 class -- the spring signing period. Since one-time signee Kobie Eubanks went elsewhere after the NCAA Clearinghouse denied his eligibility, Baylor may be looking for a replacement. We hear Baylor has been connected to 4-star shooting guard KeVaughn Allen from Little Rock, AR. Rated No. 63 in the Rivals 2015 150, Allen did not sign with Florida back in November.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News