ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Jan. 31, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
BONNEY'S INHOME MEETING
Calls have been made to Houston Lamar safety John Bonney regarding Baylor inhome visit on Thursday. But one source familiar with the situation was of the understanding that the meeting went well. Bonney does have LOIs from both Baylor and Texas.

For now, Bonney remains committed to Texas. But this could be a situation where this could drag out until National Signing Day Feb. 5 before either Texas or Baylor know the outcome.

Baylor has pretty much taken this as far as it can go. Obviously, the Bears thought they had the lead for Bonney after he visited a fall practice. However, Bonney visited Texas and eventually committed to Texas.

What was interesting is that several people familiar with last week's official visit didn't think Bonney was enjoying himself too much. Apparently, that changed on Saturday evening into Sunday morning.

Keep in mind the dead period starts Sunday afternoon so the face-to-face contact is done. Bonney's length at 6-1 is an area of need for this secondary that will need better matchups against taller wide receivers. He was a three-year starter for the Redskins who played in the Class 5A Division I state championship in 2012 and were upset in the Region I semifinals in 2013.

Bonney isn't talking to the media currently, but he did say this about Baylor when his recruitment was in its early stages in 2012.

"Baylor is building a program,'' Bonney said. "I was a little kid when coach [Art] Briles was at Houston, and I saw what he built there. Wherever he goes, he wins.''

Finally, there is some signing day drama around here.
-SicEmSports

The (Tex)arkana connection
Baylor offensive line coach Randy Clements made it up to Hope, AR earlier in the week and saw two very solid offensive and defensive line candidates.

He offered 2016 Hope Senior High defensive end McTelvin Agim (6-3, 240) and continues to evaluate 2016 offensive tackle Kadarius Rowe (6-3, 325). Both have been invited to Baylor's camp in early June when it is in Marshall.

But recruiting is a small world. Agim grew up with Baylor spring semester enrollee Davion Hall in Texarkana before Agim moved to Dallas and then moved over to Hope.

"Davion and I did summer track together in grade school. I know him really well,'' Agim said. "When I was talking to him about Baylor, he talked about how great the school is and what the coaches were like. I'm pretty excited to know more about it.''

Agim already has an offer from Arkansas. But he made an impression because he recorded 16 sacks as a sophomore. He's not anywhere close to a finished product.

"I feel like I have no boundaries and feel like I can blossom,'' Agim said. "I'm pretty strong, quick and can hit you. I want to get my 40 [currently 4.7] to 4.5 and raise my bench [currently 285] to 325.

For Rowe, he doesn't have any offers. Like Baylor, Arkansas is also evaluating. He takes pride his in his wingspan and how he turns his hips. But he's working this offseason on lowering his 40 to below 5.0. He's appreciates the attention.

"It's hard to get noticed in Hope, AR,'' he said. "But I can help someone. I'm a big wall and you have to around me, but I'm going to knock you out.''
-Kevin Lonnquist

A flourishing pipeline
When wide receiver Devontre Stricklin committed to Baylor on Jan. 24, it marked fifth time in the last six seasons that Baylor pulled a star prospect out of Waco Midway.

The others were Ahmad Dixon and Levi Norwood (2010), Beau Blackshear (2011), Orion Stewart (2012) and Jamie Jacobs (2014).

A solid recruiting foundation typically starts with the local school securing some of the better talent. Jacobs believes he knows how it started.

"I think Ahmad really got it going here,'' Jacobs said. "He was the one who had all of the offers, but he wanted to be the guy who helped a struggling program change things.

I was talking to Orion about it when I was on my visit [last week]. For sure, Ahmad laid the foundation. Now, when we come out of Midway, we want to be that next Panther who wants to continue things at Baylor.''

The good thing about being at Baylor is that it feels like you are secluded from the rest of Waco, Jacobs said.

"I feel like I'm in a whole different city and I'm inside a bubble,'' he said. "It's a city inside of a city. But the good thing is that the Baylor coaches have done a lot of good things with the local kids. It's a great feeling to know that you really have another family with you. The coaches have your back. You have someone to fall back on.''

And in case you're wondering, Jacobs has already been accepted into Baylor.
-Kevin Lonnquist

When 4.4 isn't fast enough
When Nacogdoches 2016 free safety Brandon Jones ran his 40 time two weeks ago, he not only dipped below the magic 4.4 mark, he obliterated it. On a handheld time, he clocked in at 4.26.

Whoa!

But the play that may have caught recruiter's attention was on Sept. 13. Jones sealed Nacogdoches' first win over Lufkin in 21 years (28-24) with a 90-yard interception return for a touchdown.

"Right after that, I started to hear from schools,'' said Jones who finished the year with five interceptions. "It's an honor to have that attention.''

Jones may be the fastest man in East Texas. On Wednesday Baylor became the third program to offer Jones following Texas A&M and Texas Tech. More offers will be coming. LSU has been talking with Jones. TCU and Oklahoma State appear to be next to close to offering.

Jones talked with Baylor defensive coordinator Phil Bennett who already plucked defensive end Greg Roberts for the 2014 signing class.

"I had a nice talk with coach Bennett,'' Jones said. "I've talked with Greg about Baylor and the new stadium. They're serious about looking for solid defenders. I know they played really good defense last year.''

Three games into his freshman year playing quarterback, Nacogdoches coaches moved him up to the varsity. They immediately put him at free safety. The position has stuck. Jones is viewed as the captain of the secondary. But he considers his strength is breaking on the ball. Few times will deep balls be completed on him. Like any gifted runner, Jones will do his share in the tract season in the 4x100, 4x200 and 100. His personal best in the 100 is 10.81 and he just missed going to the Class 4A state track meet last year.
-Kevin Lonnquist

Friend of a friend
Baylor's most recent junior day was supposed to be invitation only. But one of the attendees -- Houston Lamar CB Holton Hill -- brought along a friend, and that friend sure has a position impression of Baylor now.

"We had a fun time up there," said Lamar LB Iyare Ojo, who played last year at Houston Westbury before transferring this spring to Lamar. "They showed us around. I loved the weight room, the field, the new stadium they're about to build up."

The Baylor coaches had never met Ojo before, nor was he on their radar. But Ojo said assistant coach Jim Gush spent some time talking to him and asked him to stay in touch. Ojo in turn has sent him his highlight video (he doesn't have a rivals profile yet).

It remains to be seen how much interest Baylor will have in Ojo. He has the physical requirements -- he's 6-2, 200 with pretty decent speed. But he played last season at Westbury, which went 2-8 and doesn't get any recruiting attention, he said. Playing at Lamar will change that.

"It's a good opportunity," he said. "At Westbury, I was basically the top player that every other team was worrying about. At Lamar, it's a blessing, because the school is better. I'll get to know the teachers better. At Westbury the teachers got interrupted too much by other students. They couldn't teach. The classes were the main priority I transferred. Football was second."
-Jake Shaw

Big 12 Power Ratings - Basketball
Baylor's out of the Big 12 race, but that doesn't stop SicEmSports from ranking the Big 12 teams heading into the weekend.

1. Kansas (16-4/7-0) - This young Kansas team grew up quickly.

2. Oklahoma (17-4/6-2) - That Lon Kruger sure can coach. He'll really get people's attention with an upset at ISU this weekend.

3. Kansas State (15-6/5-3) - The Wildcats are about to play their third road conference game in their last four outings.

4. Oklahoma State (16-4/4-3) - OSU has lost two of its last three and is close to falling out of the Big 12 title contention.

5. Texas (16-4/5-2) - Rick Barnes has probably saved his job with this season's turnaround.

6. Iowa State (15-4/3-4) - Iowa State's entering the second game of a three-game stretch against KU, OU and OSU.

7. West Virginia (12-9/4-4) - The Mountaineers were the latest program to knock down the Bears while they're down.

8. Texas Tech (10-11/2-6) - The Red Raiders are yet to play as well as they did in the win that sent Baylor into a tailspin.

9. Baylor (13-7/1-6) - This is not where the program should be nearly halfway through conference play.

10. TCU (9-10/0-7) - TCU probably has circled Feb. 12 on its calendar. That's when Baylor comes to town, and sadly for the Bears, it's TCU's most winnable game left.
-Jake Shaw

A double check
While the attention has been on John Bonney, you just never know if there is another player out there that Baylor could be looking at. At this point, we know of no official visitors this weekend. But still coaches can have contact with recruits. Baylor's 2014 class is full. These were players Baylor was in the mix for at one time.

It's unlikely but we can cross these candidates off the list...we think.

>Jovan Pruitt, OL, Dallas Bishop Dunne - solid with Arkansas

>Victor Evans, DE, Dallas Skyline - solid with Ole Miss

>Dvonta Derricott, LB, Garden City (KS) CC - solid with Kansas State

>Justin Phillips, LB, Pearland - solid with Oklahoma State

>Sam Sizelove, LB, Argyle - solid with Kansas State

>Jah'Shawn Johnson, DB, Ennis - solid with Texas Tech

>Aaron Sharp, QB, Humble Summer Creek - solid with UCLA

>Grayson Muehlstein, QB, Decatur - solid with TCU

>Grant Blankenship, DE, The Colony - solid with Notre Dame

>Chad Adams, DB, Allen - solid with Arizona State
-SicEmSports

Emptying the notebook
^Baylor's 2014 class ranking is No. 33 before the JUCO transfers have been rated. Even with some last minute movement, it's going to be hard for the Bears to climb into the 20s. The 2013 class finished at No. 31.

^How diligent is Baylor acting with its 2015 class? Right now, the staff has extended only 49 known offers. Several of the recruits that we have spoken with including Houston Clear Lake linebacker Nathan Fox and Plano East inside linebacker Landis Durham each said that the coaches want to watch them in the spring when the May evaluation period begins.

^This is just a really tough stretch for the men's basketball team. At 13-7 and 1-6 in the league, the next three are at Oklahoma State on Saturday, home to Kansas on Tuesday and at Oklahoma on Feb. 8.

^Baylor has an offer into 2015 point guard Sedrick Barefield from Coronoa (CA) Centennial. Barefield (6-2, 180) is the No. 85 player in the Rivals 150.

^Two weeks from Friday will usher in the 2014 baseball season. Steve Smith's team opens a three-game series at Arizona State. The Bears' home opener is Feb. 18 against UT-Arlington. Expectations are not high for this squad. Baseball America and Collegiate Baseball came out with their preseason Top 25 and Top 40 polls earlier this week. Neither ranked the Bears.
-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News