ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Feb. 6, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
NOTE: The content on the Baylor Blitz is solely meant for the subscribers of SicEmSports. Let's all please make sure that whatever is written here stays here. We appreciate you all helping us with this. Now, let's all take a look at Baylor recruiting and what else is going on involving the Bears.

NOTE: As you'll note, this isn't the deepest blitz that you're going to find. We're just using a little bit of this flat spot in the aftermath of National Signing Day to recharge the batteries. Still, we were able to catch up with several players whom Baylor offered.

The Topper

No. 19 Baylor (16-5, 5-4 Big 12) travels to Morgantown, WVA on Saturday for an 11 a.m, game against No. 13/15 West Virginia (18-4, 6-3). The schedule makers didn't do the Mountaineers any favors for the second half of league play. Aside with home and home with the Bears, they have home and home with Kansas and Oklahoma State. Baylor is over .500 in Big 12 league play for the first time this season. It's going to be a quick turnaround for the Bears because they have Big Monday against Oklahoma State at 6:00 p.m. at the Ferrell Center.

Offer puts Baylor in Cobb's top 5

Last I talked to Waco La Vega DB Parrish Cobb he was still waiting for Baylor to evaluate him. That was last summer, months after Cobb had missed most of his sophomore (2013) season because of an injury.

But after a breakout junior season that saw him make the Waco Trib's Super CenTex team (joining guys like Lenoy Jones and Kahlil Haughton), Baylor now knows enough about Cobb -- enough that they offered him after the Junior Day last weekend.

"I was expecting it," Cobb told me, "but I was surprised it came this soon."

Recruited mostly by Phil Bennett, Cobb said Baylor's already in his top 5. So far, Baylor joins Tulsa and SMU with offers. When he hits the camp circuits this summer, more are sure to follow. At 6-0, he's entering the "tall corner" territory and could bulk up without losing speed.

With his campus just minutes away from Baylor's, Cobb says he'd have no problem staying home to play college football.

"I don't have a preference about where I play," he said. "I'm kind of leaning toward staying in Texas but if I have to leave, I will."

-Jake Shaw

Family over Everything

Maybe TCU and Baylor can find common ground.

Ok, that probably will never happen. But between these arch rivals, there's always going to family overlap.

Baylor didn't land Ranthony Texada who is now playing for the Horned Frogs. But the Bears definitely want his younger brotherRaleigh Texada. A year of talking with the coaches, attending camps in Waco and attending last Saturday's junior day resulted in the consecutive Big 12 champions offering the Frisco Centennial product.

"When I told Ranthony, I think he was more excited than I was,'' Raleigh said. "He just told me to go my own path. It means a lot that Baylor is the first Big 12 school to offer me.''

In fact, the younger Texada (5-10, 164) repeated that Big 12 line a couple of times. While college defenses are moving toward taller cornerbacks, there were several elements in Texada's play that remained constant.

For one, he's considered a pretty good tackler in run support. He wound up with about 50 stops in 2014.

"I really think my speed makes up for a lot of things,'' he said. "My strength is getting there. I can bench over 200 pounds. I know one of the keys to staying on the field is being a sure tackler. Ranthony is. I want to keep being one too.''

Then there's coverage element that makes a break someone from playing at the Division I level. Texada has pretty solid recovery speed and can turn his hips pretty quick. That's what stood out when he attended Baylor's camp last July in Waco. He finished the 2014 season with four interceptions and was in double figures in pass breakups.

And despite his older brother's connection with TCU, that only seemed to embolden Baylor assistant coach Jim Gush's pursuit of Raleigh. Texada also holds an offer from Duke and said he believes California is close and thinks Oklahoma State may be considering one provided he can make its junior day.

"It felt really good to know that Baylor wants me,'' Texada said. "It's really exciting. I put a lot of value into everything. Schools that watch my film know I can play and will continue to work. When I talked with coach Gush about the offer, his message was to go home and talk about it with my family and see what direction I wanted to go. Baylor has a really good staff. I have a good relationship going with coach Gush.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Lancaster is twice as nice

Last week, Baylor assistant coach Jeff Lebby traveled to Lancaster to watch a pair of gifted 2016 athletes in safety Kenan Ivy and athlete Tyrell Alexander. Both were invited to Baylor's Jan. 31 junior day. By Tuesday, both had secured Baylor offers.

Here's a look at each:

Kenan Ivy
, Safety, 5-11, 185; 40 time: 4.45; Offers: Baylor, SMU, Wisconsin, Arkansas State

Projected as a third-year starter, Ivy originally committed to Wisconsin before de-committing not too long ago.

He left Baylor's junior day with an offer. He said he has a feeling that was going to happen when he arrived on campus.

"They basically told me they like the way I play and how physical I am,'' Ivy said. "When I was there, I just got the impression this was more than just a team. It was a family. And that's something I didn't expect.''

Ivy is called by Lancaster coaches as a ferocious hitter. But his speed puts him in position to deliver those. He's been recorded in the 100 at 10.5 and in the 200 at 21.5. But many like to look to him as a leader. Ivy is probably going to play a little more running back this in 2015.

"He's going to make sure guys are getting lined up right,'' Lancaster assistant coach Courtney Allen said. "What teams are going to find about Kenan is that he is going to the right thing. He's a great young man with goals to play at his best at each level.''

Football definitely opens the door. Following through by taking advantage of the opportunities college presents is even more valuable. Above everything, that's what Ivy took away from junior day.

"When I listened to coach [Art] Briles, he said they want to win, but that they want us to have a quality education,'' Ivy said. "When he really talked about that, it made me realize there was more than football. We have to be good students.''

Tyrell Alexander
, Athlete, 6-1, 175; 40 time: 4.41; Offers: Baylor, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Oklahoma State, SMU

Identified as just a pure athlete, Alexander earned his Baylor offer on Tuesday. His sleek frame, which could probably carry 200 pounds at the Division I level, attracted Baylor even more last Saturday. Coaches told him it would be a matter of time before an offer would be extended.

For Lancaster, Alexander has been and will continue to serve as its quarterback. He accounted for 1,966 total offensive yards (1,147 rushing, 719 passing) as the Tigers went 7-4 in a very brutal District 14-5A.

But quarterback not where he'll end up in college. He's tall enough and athletic enough to play either wide receiver or in the secondary. Baylor has never really had a problem pursuing players who aren't locked into one position. This program thrives on versatility and placing players in spots where the athleticism is demonstrated to the fullest.

"Every time we needed a play, Tyrell came up with something,'' Allen said. "For as slender as he is, he won't shy away from contact. He has all of those intangibles that you want in a playmaker.''

Alexander is probably going to collect more offers. There are junior day visits to Oklahoma and SMU approaching.

"I'm pretty comfortable with them,'' Alexander said. "I like the atmosphere. It was really good to get there because this was the first time I had been there. I'd been invited to a couple of games but couldn't make it. The togetherness of the guys really stood out to me. Coach Lebby said I'm going to see him a lot.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>Southlake Carroll 2016 athlete Lil'Jordan Humphrey attended Baylor's junior day last week and had a strong visit with the Baylor coaches. While he's a running back for the Dragons, that likely won't be his spot in college. Most schools are looking at him as an H-Back or defensive end. That's because he's 6-5. Humphrey said he really wasn't sure if the coaches had an exact position but they mentioned wide receiver and tight end. Humphrey set Carroll's single-school rushing record in 2014 with 1,817 yards and 29 touchdowns. Texas just offered Humphrey earlier in the week.

>Kennedale 2017 linebacker Baron Browning continues to build the relationship with the Baylor staff. He said he spent a portion of his recent visit with a very solid discussion with strength coach Kaz Kazadi.

>Here's the apparent really good news with Baylor's 2015 signing class. Unless there was one we overlooked, it doesn't look like anyone double signed with a junior college. We checked Blinn, Trinity Valley, Navarro and Tyler Junior College signing lists.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News