ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Feb. 28, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
FROM THE PUBLISHER: SicEmSports is pleased to announce that we have taken on an intern from the Baylor journalism department. Please welcome Ashton Warren to our staff.

Warren makes her debut in today's blitz with a piece on Aledo's Ryan Newsome. As we move forward with her, we plan on diversifying her talents both in print and on camera with the help of our video journalist Stephen Cook.

She will be interviewing recruits and sharing news with our subscribers. A native of Spring, Warren has interned with the Midway ISD as well as Sic'Em Sports Productions (no relation to our site).

We believe that Warren will definitely offer a fresh perspective that will help create more visibility to our site. Plus, this opportunity offers her the tools and experience that she will need when she jumps into the professional world.

We hope you enjoy watching her grow as she builds a foundation. It is our hope that we will continue to move this internship program forward for many years to come.

-Kevin Lonnquist

NOTE: With spring football starting on Friday, our Stephen Cook will be at Art Briles' opening presser. Cook will provide the same video interviews that we shared with you throughout the 2013 football season.

Now, to the Blitz.

Previewing Baylor's 2014 Spring Practices

For the first time in decades, Baylor enters spring football with the goal of defending an outright conference championship. Baylor will be the hunted this season, so the work to improve enough to repeat last year's Big 12 title begins Friday. The spring game is set for April 5.

The Bears enter spring drills needing to replace 11 starters (as well as kicker Aaron Jones), seven of them coming from the defense. Who steps up will be one of the main storylines to follow. So will monitoring just how much contributions Baylor will get from its newcomers, from its early spring enrollees to the freshmen coming off redshirt seasons to the transfers who sat out last fall.

Below, we break down a few areas to watch as Baylor opens its 2014 spring practices.

Biggest issue facing the offense:
Numerous other injuries impacted last year's offense, but when Baylor lost Tevin Reese, it suddenly had a much harder time stretching defenses without Reese's big-play ability. Reese is now permanently gone, so it's important to find someone capable of filling in his shoes. To be frank, Baylor just needs a second receiver in general to pair with Antwan Goodley. The good news is there's no shortage of candidates.

Biggest issue facing the defense:
Losing Eddie Lackey stings, but having Bryce Hager (when he's fully healthy) will help out the new starter at outside linebacker. The area of most concern should be the secondary, where only junior safety Terrell Burt returns as a starter. The cornerback jobs are most concerning. Baylor has two seniors (Tuswani Copeland and Tyler Stephenson) trying to salvage their careers, two JUCO transfers (Tion Wright and Chris Sanders) hoping to make instant impressions, as well as a host of younger corners (led by Xavien Howard) who will try to win the jobs. As for Ahmad Dixon's vacated safety spot, Orion Stewart played the most in backing up Dixon last year, but the move of Travon Blanchard to safety could be designed to get him on the field here.

Top offensive position battle:
Two interior offensive line jobs are up for grabs (left guard and center), where players of varying experience levels will compete for the starting positions. Jarell Broxton became the prime contender to replace Cyril Richardson when he arrived in January from the JUCO ranks, especially since LaQuan McGowan still needs time to develop. Kyle Fuller has the inside track at center over Sean Muir, the younger brother of Hawaii transfer Blake Muir, and Tyler Edwards, the Blinn transfer who was pegged as a center but is now listed as a guard. The strength of Baylor's running game is up the middle, so it's crucial Baylor finds solid replacements at for these two areas.

Top defensive position battle:
When you lose seven starters, many position battles will commence. Two linebacker jobs, though, stand out the most. First is the outside, where JUCO transfer Grant Campbell may or may not be a factor; his experience is playing in the middle. Kendall Ehrlich is another possibility, but it was somewhat disconcerting that Brody Trahan passed him on the depth chart last year. As for the nickel back -- the hybrid LB/S position -- Kiante Griffin is the only player on the depth chart with any experience. He played sparingly in 11 of 13 games a year ago. Behind him are two freshmen coming off redshirt seasons (Raaquan Davis and Austin Jupe). This is a crucial position with more uncertainty than any other spot on the defense.

Potential spring breakout offensive player:
There are so many wide receivers that are strong candidates, from Robbie Rhodes to Corey Coleman to Davion Hall. And same goes for running back. But the guy I think will raise some eyebrows is Blake Muir, who brings one year of starting experience to Baylor and had all of last summer and fall to work into Baylor's system. He gives the offensive line a lot of flexibility. He can play LT, where he started at Hawaii, while Spencer Drango recovers, or slide inside -- perhaps even getting a look at center. One source told me that's a possibility. Whatever unfolds, Muir is talented enough to start, and even with a healthy Drango and Troy Baker, Muir might be good enough that he forces the coaches' hands to put him on the field.

Potential spring breakout defensive player:
My first two picks for this breakout player -- Sam Ukwuachu and Chris Sanders -- will both miss spring drills following surgeries. So give me Taion Sells, who didn't have the impact of, say, Andrew Billings and Byron Bonds, but was still impressive enough in the coaches' eyes to play as a true freshman. With Terrell Burt out this spring, Sells has an even greater chance of making a big impression.

-Jake Shaw

It finally arrives

Baylor has been high on the list of South Grand Prairie ATH Tony Nicholson ever since he went to the January junior day. But even with the Baylor offer he got on Thursday afternoon, he's not ready to commit to the Bears just yet.

"If it came down to it, I would still attend Baylor," he said. "But I just want to see where my mom wants me to go. Where she wants me to go, I'll probably go there. Baylor is still high on my list -- in my top five."

Baylor joins Duke, which Nicholson will unofficially visit this weekend, as well as Kansas State, Washington State and Arizona State. As for how his mom feels about Baylor?

"She loves Baylor," he said, "but I guess she wants to wait and see what other offers might come in."

Baylor assistant Carlton Buckels is leading the recruitment of Nicholson. Buckels tipped off Nicholson that an offer was imminent.

"I had talked to coach Buckels and he told me he really liked me, he wanted to get me an offer, but he didn't know when it would be," he said. "When I was in class (Thursday), my coach told me Baylor offered. He told me to call coach Buckels. It caught me by surprise that they offered today.''

Even though Nicholson seems to be taking things slowly, he said he plans to visit a Baylor practice very soon. This is speculation on my part, but I think the staff will, in a word, "encourage" Nicholson to commit while in Waco.

Will it happen? It's hard to tell. But looking at his list, Baylor is the only school that's close enough that his mom could see him play every game. Perhaps even visit during the week. It may not happen soon, but I still like Baylor's chances a lot with Nicholson.

-Jake Shaw

Newsome keeps Baylor high on list

You might just see Ryan Newsome on ESPN one day, and not just playing football, but also broadcasting the game he plays. The Aledo 2015 wide receiver is not only looking for the best football program, but a school that can offer him a major in broadcast journalism. "I would love to be on ESPN," Newsome said. "I've always wanted to be on TV."

Newsome will be on ESPN sooner rather than later given his 4.6 speed. His 40-time makes him one of the fastest receivers in the 2015 recruiting class. Baylor is looking at the 5-9 prospect in the slot.

After talking with Baylor offensive coordinator Phillip Montgomery on Wednesday, Newsome is looking to take in Tuesday's practice. If that doesn't work out, he's considering a trip on March 22.

Newsome had quite the junior year helping lead his team to the 4A-Division II state championship. The Bearcats became the first high school team ever to score 1,000 points in a season. If that's not enough, Newsome is seeing his dream of playing college football come alive. He has 20 Division I offers including Texas, Florida State, Oregon, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

"I really look at it as an opportunity to help my parents. I know that sounds cliche but it's a blessing to have these opportunities." Newsome said. "My parents are so supportive and I just want to return the favor."

Baylor definitely seems to be high on Newsome's list. The new McLane Stadium is what really piqued his interest in the early stages of his recruitment. Newsome took an unofficial visit to Baylor on Nov. 7 when Baylor beat Oklahoma. Baylor offered Newsome a week later.

"I was offered when they were No. 4 in the nation and I'm still as interested now as I was then." Newsome said.

As Newsome looks at his various offers, one thing about Baylor continues to stay with him.

"I think Baylor is humbled more than anything," Newsome said. "They really started from the bottom. That's one thing I like about them. They haven't always been on top and now that they are, I don't think they are going back down."

-Ashton Warren

Houston headed to Waco

Baylor has offered some heavyweights at the running back position. One of them isn't Galena Park North Shore RB Tristian Houston. But things could change when Houston visits the Baylor campus for a there-and-back trip Friday.

"See how the coaches are as a person, see what the team is like, what kind of program they have, and look into the sports medicine program," Houston said when asked of his expectations for the trip.

Baylor assistant Carlton Buckels is leading his recruitment, and early in the process, Houston said Baylor's in his top group of schools, joining UCLA, Oklahoma State, and Texas, which he visited last week.

His recruitment is starting to pick up, so not too much is known about him yet.

"I'd describe myself as a speed back with a little bit of power," he said. "I'm great at moving around. I'm just a team player."

-Jake Shaw

Butler learning about Baylor

West Mesquite's Josh Butler continues to build his case to be one of the top 2015 defensive backs in the country.

A recent offer from Baylor only adds to what's an impressive list of offers including Texas A&M, UCLA and Tennessee. Butler (5-11, 170, 4.46 40) has spoken with Baylor assistant Brian Norwood and said he's starting to build a relationship with him.

"I'm glad to get the offer,'' Butler said. "To be honest, I followed them a little last year. But when someone offers you, that changes everything. I've started to read up on them and everything they have. I've watched some of their games on tape just to see how they play defensively specifically one on one and how they played off receivers.''

Butler is ranked No. 44 in Texas and No. 37 cornerback nationally. He helped the Wranglers to the 2013 Class 4A playoffs before falling in the bi-district round. While nothing has been scheduled, Butler said he hopes to visit Baylor for a spring practice in March. He said he did not attend any junior days.

"Right now, I'm just focusing on staying consistent with my technique,'' he said. "When I go to visit any school, I want to see if it's a good fit and if the facilities and the coaches are what I hope they are.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

President's triumphant return

When Temple quarterback Chad President returned to competition on Feb. 22 in the Copperas Coves track meet, the butterflies fluttered.

After all, President had not been in any competitive event since tearing his right ACL Sept. 13 against Carroll. But on the track, President not only surprised himself but probably everybody else in the stadium. That's five months.

He won the 200 with a time of 23.0. It's not only stunning that he won but turned in such a solid time for being inactive for so long.

"Yeah I was surprised,'' Baylor's first 2015 commit said. "Just all the hard work in rehab just paid off.''

Two weeks ago, President had been cleared to run. He still cannot cut or have any contact. But if this progresses as well as is hoped, time will tell what the Temple coaches will do with him for spring football. It's likely the staff won't take any chances on the knee and have President do anything that could jeopardize the knee.

But last week was an important step.

"I ran 22.1 [in the 200] as a sophomore,'' President said. "So I'll see if I can get back to that.''

-Kevin Lonnquist

Recruiting tidbits

>Waco Midway linebacker Kahlil Haughton said he likely will take in Baylor's spring practice on Tuesday. Haughton said he isn't ready to commit yet but would like to make a decision in the summer.

>Fort Bend Ridge Point linebacker Cameron Townsend said he still rates Baylor as high as he does with any of the other schools that have offered him. Take that as a good sign.

>Mansfield Timberview 2016 quarterback Devin Williams said he plans on attending Baylor's junior day on March 22. We'll see if that means an offer.

>Converse Judson defensive back Keivon Ramsey is working on arrangements to take in a Baylor spring practice. Remember, Ramsey has Baylor on top among all of the schools he's considering.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Big 12 Power Ratings - Basketball
SicEmSports ranks the Big 12 teams heading into the weekend.
1. Kansas (22-6/13-2) - Another year, another conference title. Kansas can do no worse than a shared 2013-14 Big 12 championship. One more win seals it outright.

2. Iowa State (22-5/10-5) - It took some time, but Iowa State has finally reached where most thought it would -- second best to KU.

3. Texas (21-7/10-5) - Out of this world shooting by Jevan Felix saved UT from its third straight loss.

Oklahoma (20-8/9-6) - A favorable end to the schedule could help OU finish in the top 3.

5. Kansas State (19-9/9-6)
- A close win at Texas Tech this week probably guaranteed a tourney berth,

Baylor (18-10/6-9) - If the Bears can hold home court, they should feel confident about their tourney chances.

7. Oklahoma State (18-10/6-9)
- Marcus Smart has dazzled since he returned.

8. West Virginia (15-13/7-8)
- Now, the Mountaineers' NCAA hopes are fading.

9. Texas Tech (13-15/5-10) -
The Red Raiders have lost some steam headed into a rematch against Baylor the Bears desperately want and need.

10. TCU (9-18/0-15) -
This is as easy a selection as picking Kansas at the top.
-Jake Shaw

Baylor Baseball in San Diego

There are tougher things to do than playing baseball in California. Playing in San Diego can be more challenging just because the weather is beautiful for all 365 days.

But Baylor coach Steve Smith's program, which had midweek games against Incarnate Word and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi canceled because of rain, starts a four-game weekend series Friday in a round robin tournament hosted by the University of San Diego.

The Bears (5-2) have won four consecutive games. They open the weekend with a 1:00 p.m. game Friday against California (a team that eliminated them in the NCAA playoffs a couple of years ago). They play their second game against USD at 5:00 p.m. On Saturday, the Bears and Toros meet at 9:00 p.m. Sunday's 1:00 p.m. is against UNC-Wilmington.

Right-hander Dillon Newman (1-0, 2.61 ERA) starts the opener, left-hander Brad Kuntz (1-0, 2.89) has Friday's nightcap, right-hander Austin Stone (1-0, 0.00) starts Saturday and left-hander Daniel Castano (1-0, 1.42) is scheduled for Sunday.

First baseman Mitch Price leads the team with a .500 batting average while senior DH Grayson Porter is off to a good start with two home runs and eight RBIs.

-Kevin Lonnquist

Emptying the Notebook

>Athletic director Ian McCaw said earlier this week that there will be 16 boat slips in front of McLane Stadium. The university and the City of Waco came to the agreement recently.

-SicEmSports

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News