ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Dec. 9, 2022

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper

Baylor is expecting just four official visitors for this weekend. The breakdown is three members of the 2023 class one member of the NCAA transfer portal. There was some hope that a couple more could be scheduled. Logistics disrupted that. But we’ll make another check before the weekend commences.

As for the visits next weekend, that’s going to be a little tricky because the Bears will be in the middle of bowl prep for the Dec. 22 Armed Services Bowl at Amon Carter Stadium in Fort Worth against Air Force.

The other issue for Baylor is that the game is the day after the early signing period, Dec. 21.

2023 Class

NCAA Transfer Portal
Campbell Barrington,
OL, BYU

State bound; semifinalist
Two Baylor 2023 commits are still wearing the pads. One is guaranteed to wear it for next week.

Franklin running back Bryson Washington helped the top-ranked Lions top Edna in the Class 3A Division I state semifinals on Thursday, 41-13. Washington rushed for 179 yards and a touchdown.

Franklin meets Brock at 7:00 p.m. next Thursday for the state title at AT&T Stadium in Arlington. Franklin, which won the 2021 Division II title and lost in the 2020 state final, has won 31 consecutive games. Brock is returning to the 3A Division I title game.

Argyle offensive lineman Wes Tucker and the Eagles face South Oak Cliff in the Class 5A Division II state semifinals at 7:30 pm Friday at the Crowley Multi-Purpose Stadium.

Barrington ready to visit Baylor
It’s no secret that Baylor’s 2023 offensive line is going to be young and inexperienced. This group is losing veterans Connor Galvin, Jacob Gall, Khalil Keith and Grant Miller.

The key to any offensive line’s success will be at the anchor position, left tackle. The Bears are hoping they find leadership by bringing in BYU portal candidate Campbell Barrington. Barrington played in a reserve role for the Cougars this fall appearing in eight games and making no starts.

But the attraction to Baylor is that his older brother Clark played for then BYU and current Baylor offensive line coach Eric Mateos. Campbell and Mateos crossed for only half a season.

“[Clark] says he’s the best coach he’s ever had,’’ Campbell said. “From what Clark told me and being around him a little bit, [Mateos] is a great teacher when it comes to technique, his knowledge of the game and just all-around cares for his players.’’

Barrington entered the NCAA transfer portal with this announcement:

“I want to express my gratitude for the opportunity I had to play and attend this university. I am thankful for the memories I have created and friendships I’ve made. I am grateful for the support I have received from my teammates, and staff. After much prayer and talking with my family I have decided that I will be entering the transfer portal. I am excited for what the future holds.”

A freshman All-American in 2021, Barrington made six starts that season. He was expected to contend for the starting right tackle spot before losing out to veteran Kingsley Suamataia and then became a reserve. He missed the last month of the season due to a broken thumb.

“They have talked to me about going to left tackle,’’ Barrington said. “I just want to get a feel for how practice and the meetings are like. Just want to learn if this the place for me.’’

UCLA and Michigan State are also in contention. Barrington said he has an OV planned for UCLA. He will have two years of eligibility along with a redshirt.

“We ran a similar offense at BYU,’’ Barrington said. “So when we played Baylor [Sept. 10 in Provo], it was cool being able to see how they worked as an offense.’’

Stanford’s McGill has Baylor ties
When he was a young defensive back at Coppell, one of the first recruiters Jonathan McGill dealt with was at Louisiana Tech and defensive backs coach Kevin Curtis.

That continued when Curtis moved to SMU. McGill had been committed to the Mustangs until a late Stanford offer came in and he flipped in 2019.

An extraordinary career will continue elsewhere. Shortly after Stanford head coach David Shaw stepped down, McGill entered the NCAA transfer portal.

“Coach Curtis and I built a good relationship and that’s carried to now,’’ McGill said. “We don’t have a visit date set. We’re working on one.’’

McGill is getting through finals week this week. He will have two years remaining after missing all but two games in 2021 with an injury.

There’s a lot to like about his leadership. McGill was a team captain in 2022.

Recently, he earned the program’s Al Masters Award. It is bestowed to the player displaying the highest degree of leadership and respect of his teammates.

McGill finished the 2022 season second on the team in tackles (51), collected 5.5 TFLs, a team-high seven PBU, an INT and two fumble recoveries.

“I’ve talked to coach Curtis that they want bring in someone for playmaking and veteran leadership,’’ McGill said. “One thing I’d like to learn more about is the culture. From watching on TV, it seemed that coach Aranda has established a great culture in terms of the guys in the locker room. But I love the way their defense plays. Would also like to sit and pick coach Aranda’s brain.”

Baylor has to hope that McGill doesn’t want to stay in the DFW area. SMU was one of the first schools to approach McGill – SMU head coach Rhett Lashlee was on the staff when Curtis was there – and has him coming in for an official visit Friday and Saturday.

McGill said he hopes to make a commitment decision around Christmas.

One other note
I had heard that Baylor was looking around on Texas A&M RB LJ Johnson who also entered the NCAA transfer portal. It’s not clear where that is going yet…if anywhere.

Of course, Baylor has two running back commits for the 2023 class in Franklin RB Bryson Washington and Mineola’s Dawson Pendergrass and have Richard Reese, Qualan Jones and Jordan Jenkins returning next fall. The Bears appear to be losing Sqwirl Williams who walked on senior day. Williams is a fifth-year junior.

Johnson, former Rivals 4-star ball carrier, appeared in six games in 2022 with 10 carries for 39 yards. He also saw time in 2021.

Reactions: MattPackard94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News