ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor Blitz: Dec. 2, 2022

k lonnquist

Mar 10, 2009
By Kevin Lonnquist
Publisher

The Topper

>As Rivals regional analyst Nick Harris and I mentioned, the names we gave you as DC candidates and ST coordinator are early but seem like strong possibilities. Former Baylor safeties coach and ST coordinator Matthew Powledge might be the toughest of the candidates to land.

He has a pretty good situation at Oregon as the Co-DC. Time will tell where that goes because Powledge is a head coach in the making. He has to move to an opportunity that can advance that. While Baylor is a good position, the potential issue would be is that Powledge is coaching under a head coach with a defensive background.

Timeframe for these positions to be filled is anyone’s guess. Early thinking is sometime next week. Baylor could easily wrap up Bill Busch since he was just let go at Nebraska on Wednesday.

>If you missed it in the coaching change thread, Baylor head coach Dave Aranda is expected to call the defense in the bowl game.

>Baylor is not expecting any official visitors this weekend. Also, there has been no offer extended to 2023 LB target Latreveon McCutchin out of Austin LBJ. He visited for the Kansas State game.

>Have talked to a few Baylor defensive 2023 defensive commits including Lewisville defensive back Caden Jenkins, Fort Bend Ridge Point defensive tackle, DK Kalu and Mesquite Horn safety DJ Coleman who said they are very much locked in with Baylor.

Recruiting returns
Baylor coaches can head out on the road starting Friday as the dead period ends. You will likely see Shawn Bell watching QB Austin Novosad in the Class 6A Division II state quarterfinal when Dripping Springs plays Austin Vandergrift at 7 pm Friday at Gupton Stadium in Cedar Park.

Offensive line coach Eric Mateos likely will check out Argyle OL Wes Tucker in the 5A Division II state quarterfinal against Abilene Wylie at 7 pm Friday at Memorial Stadium in Stephenville.

Running backs coach Justin Johnson should be watching Franklin RB Bryson Washington in the 3A Division I state quarterfinal at 7 pm Friday in Tomball.

Defensive backs coach Kevin Curtis likely be on hand to watch DB Caden Jenkins when Lewisville plays Prosper in the 6A Division I state quarterfinal a 2 pm Saturday in McKinney.

Should note that other Baylor assistant likely will be in attendance as well. We’re matching position coaches up with those who are still playing.

JUCO DT talks offer
When Baylor NT Apu Ika accepted his invitation to play in the Senior Bowl, BU’s coaching staff needed to find someone who could fill that void.

One option is Hutchinson (KS) CC defensive tackle Jarrel Boykins, Jr. Baylor recently offered Boykins. He’s toward the end of his freshman season and has been a pretty hot commodity. Boykins is talking with Baylor defensive line coach Dennis Johnson.

“I talked to coach Johnson a little over the break,’’ Boykins said. “If I am going to take a visit it will more than likely he after our national championship game on the 14th.”

But first things first. Hutchinson has to get past Coffeyville in the NJCAA National Semifinals on Saturday.

The Gonzales (LA) native has three years to play four. He has already secured 13 offers including P5 offers from Nebraska, Colorado and Washington State along with potential American Athletic Conference Champion Tulane. Boykins was rated a 3-star with a 5.6 when he was in the 2021 class.

“Coach Johnson said he loved my film,’’ Boykins said. “And yes they are losing [Apu Ika] who’s going to the NFL draft so they wanted to bring in someone to fill that role. He really likes my power and explosiveness.’’

Baylor will need someone in the middle to set the tone for the 3-3-5. Defensive productivity numbers aren’t necessarily a factor for nose tackled. But a good one can clog the A gaps and then funnel things properly. Boykins has seven solo tackles and 11 assisted tackles this season.

If things move to where Boykins and Baylor set an official visit, it could be the weekend of Dec. 16. Time will tell.

“I’ve heard the atmosphere is great there,’’ Boykins said. “I would say my style of play is very disruptive and dominant.”

SicEmSports Big 12 Power Rankings
Each week, SicEmSports unveils its looks at the league who in its view deserves to be ranked where. Agree or disagree, here’s how they look.
1. TCU – One more win to clinch CFB Playoff berth
2. Kansas State – A chance to spoil TCU’s hopes
3. Texas – Longhorns think of a season that might have been
4. Oklahoma State — Messy finish to the 2022 season
5. Texas Tech – Joey McGuire’s debut season a success
6. Oklahoma – Sooners defense needs an overhaul in the offseason
7. Baylor – A season of major disappointment leads to DC Ron Roberts’ ouster
8. Kansas – Lance Leipold earns contract extension
9. West Virginia – Neal Brown to return in 2023
10. Iowa State – Everything was a total collapse

Big 12 Weekend - Big 12 Championship Game
No. 3 TCU (12-0) vs. No. 10 Kansas State (9-3); 11:00 a.m., AT&T Stadium, Arlington (ABC)
Series:
Tied, 8-8; TCU won Oct. 22 in Fort Worth, 38-28
Big 12 Title Game History: Kansas State – 1998, 2000, 2003 [won]; TCU – 2017
Notable: Horned Frogs wrap up their College Football Playoff berth with a win. QB Max Duggan is the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, while Sonny Dykes is the Coach of the Year. Kansas State has found some success with QB Will Howard running the offense. This should be a pretty good matchup. In the first meeting, KSU held a 28-10 lead before TCU stormed back to win it. A Kansas State win might put TCU’s playoff hopes in jeopardy. Kansas State junior defensive end Felix Anudike-Uzomah earned conference Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Honors.

Reactions: MattPackard94
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News